Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7b Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jun 12, 2020 at 2:51 AM Post #451 of 1,047
A mod as simple as adding 2-ply toilet paper behind the pad is easy, quick, poses no risk to the headphones and costs practically nothing
I agree with this. 1 layer of toilet paper does dampen the treble by about 2-3 dB, 2 layers lowers it even more by about 5 dB or so. You can look up DIY-heaven's article on it here:
https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/taming-the-treble/

You can put it behind the pad or inside the earpads (but that would look worse of course).

I did this to my Audeze Sine that had peaky treble at higher volumes and it did tame it, but it was too much of a detriment for even the upper-midrange of my Sine. I used instead a thin layer of felt inside the earpads and that worked out better for me.

Hi,will give this a try if the sibilance continues.Thanks for your input.

Jun 20, 2020 at 1:53 PM Post #455 of 1,047
does anyone have any measurements for the dimensions of the MSR7b earpads? inside width, height, and depth would be greatly appreciated. I found the measurements for the MSR7 stock pads, and with an inner height of 50mm, they would be too small for my ears. is the height of the MSR7b stock pads the same as the MSR7 stock pads? if so does anyone know of any replacement ear pads that offer a particularly taller inner height while also staying as true as possible to the original sound with stock pads?

Hi there, the MSR7b stock pads have 60mm height and 40mm width. I don't know if they are the same as the MSR7. What I do know is that I've been struggling with the width especially, on the back of my ears. I love the sound of this cans, but after an hour of use, I feel a discomfort maybe because the pads have seams and not that soft, as the qc35 II or the wh-1000xm3 whiches bring so soft texture and comfortable plush, but the lack of quality with a wired DAP is obvious.

I've tried everything, yaxi pads, other cans (Sennheiser 660s), and just can't let go of the brilliant and detailed sound of the MSR7b, with a balanced connection on a HIBY R6 and Tidal.

If anyone appreciates the MSR7b sound and wants more space, don't even bother with replacement pads, and just use them for enough time not to bother you.
Regarding the Sennheisers' 660s, oh they are beautiful and big, but the sound for me is missing vibrance, even using the mseb app, and also hate the fact that they are open back, even if I'm at home, so I returned them.

Don't know if I'm going to lose the comfort battle, but a I'm giving an expensive chance to the Beyerdynamics T5p 2nd generation (right now on sale for $800 on Amazon), they have round pads, are closed back and the reviews regarding comfort are really good.

I hope I can answer more questions about this issue or another with the earpads.

Jun 22, 2020 at 8:12 AM Post #456 of 1,047
If suposedly one can find msr7gm somewhere in stock,would you still buy msr7b and why?(i dont have a balanced source)the thing is that the classic msr7gm seem to have crazy good construction and they look like very very premium headphones...

Jun 22, 2020 at 6:07 PM Post #457 of 1,047
If suposedly one can find msr7gm somewhere in stock,would you still buy msr7b and why?(i dont have a balanced source)the thing is that the classic msr7gm seem to have crazy good construction and they look like very very premium headphones...
It really depends. If your focus is on tight and accurate bass the msr7b is better as the og msr7 has slightly overdamped bass where verything hits softer. On the other hand if you are sensitive to spiky trebble the og msr7 is better in that it has a very clean trebble compared to the rougher MSR7b.

Really is a pick your poison situation.

That being said I prefer the og MSR7 so I would pick the MSR7GM over MSR7b

Jun 23, 2020 at 3:04 AM Post #458 of 1,047
It really depends. If your focus is on tight and accurate bass the msr7b is better as the og msr7 has slightly overdamped bass where verything hits softer. On the other hand if you are sensitive to spiky trebble the og msr7 is better in that it has a very clean trebble compared to the rougher MSR7b.

That being said I prefer the og MSR7 so I would pick the MSR7GM over MSR7b

Wow. Good to know. Treble^ already too close on msr7. Anyone heard the sound reality line flagship SR9? Not a "super MSR7"? Thought b might be the one but apparently not. Haven't had my msr7 since 2018. Dumb to sell. Arkham Knight ps4 on those headphones a game changer for me - such intense low end. I gotta get that back somehow but without those treble^.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2020 at 8:18 AM Post #459 of 1,047
Wow. Good to know. Treble^ already too close on msr7. Anyone heard the sound reality line flagship SR9? Not a "super MSR7"? Thought b might be the one but apparently not. Haven't had my msr7 since 2018. Dumb to sell. Arkham Knight ps4 on those headphones a game changer for me - such intense low end. I gotta get that back somehow but without those treble^.
SR9 is extra spicy in the treble. Very bright as well. Highly recomended trying before buying. That being said if you are in the market for clean elevated trebble the solid bass(the bass is a lie its more accurate neutural bass)ws770bt and ws1100iS are both solid options.

Pretty much if you want warm bassy msr7/b is the way to go.

Jun 30, 2020 at 7:16 PM Post #462 of 1,047
I can't say I've tried the original, but the b's are notably lighter and are supposed to be more comfortable from what I've read at least.

Jul 4, 2020 at 9:08 PM Post #463 of 1,047
Am I the only one that finds the treble harsher on the og MSR7 than on the b? I mean, as much as I loved the originals, I'd get fatigue really quickly if I even slightly turned the volume up. No such issue with the b, while detail is equally insane on both IMO. Maybe it's because it's closer to my prefered sound signature, but I think the b is a superior headphone. Not by much, but it is. Also, the clamp on the og MSR7 is insane, just a heads up to potential buyers.

Jul 5, 2020 at 8:57 AM Post #464 of 1,047
Am I the only one that finds the treble harsher on the og MSR7 than on the b? I mean, as much as I loved the originals, I'd get fatigue really quickly if I even slightly turned the volume up. No such issue with the b, while detail is equally insane on both IMO. Maybe it's because it's closer to my prefered sound signature, but I think the b is a superior headphone. Not by much, but it is. Also, the clamp on the og MSR7 is insane, just a heads up to potential buyers.

That is the reason I went to the Shure SRH1540.

Jul 5, 2020 at 11:54 AM Post #465 of 1,047
That is the reason I went to the Shure SRH1540.
I've heard the 1540s once in a show. They are great headphones, don't get me wrong. They were just a bit... Boring. Like, technically they did nothing wrong. The detail is there, the tonality is good... They just failed to excite me. If I had to use a pair of headphones for mixing/mastering, though (although I probably will never have to do that), I'd be torn between them and the Beyerdynamic DT1990. I'm still leaning towards the latter, but I've never heard them. Would love to own a pair at some point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back