Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7b Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jun 9, 2020 at 1:50 PM Post #436 of 1,051
Hi,just got a pair of the msr7bs a couple of days ago - good deal on an unwanted present.
Just to put forward my impressions.Out of the box I love the sound,especially the bass which really surprised me with plenty of depth and no distortion.The only issue I had was the pads became a bit uncomfortable after a couple of hours of use.
Yesterday I received a pair of the yaxi pads,and the comfort is now perfect.The bass and mids and also the separation of sounds is spot on.The only issue I had was with the treble and sibilance.At the time I was using a portable dac amp (hrt microstreamer) and the treble was really bothering me.I changed over to my other dac amp (topping dx3 pro),and things improved,but still more treble than I am used to.
Could be my brain just getting used to the new sound,lets see.
Anyway still a fantastic pair of headphones and a keeper I think.
Just to mention I never eq my headphones as I like to listen to the music as recorded.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2020 at 2:23 PM Post #437 of 1,051
Hi,just got a pair of the msr7bs a couple of days ago - good deal on an unwanted present.
Just to put forward my impressions.Out of the box I love the sound,especially the bass which really surprised me with plenty of depth and no distortion.The only issue I had was the pads became a bit uncomfortable after a couple of hours of use.
Yesterday I received a pair of the yaxi pads,and the comfort is now perfect.The bass and mids and also the separation of sounds is spot on.The only issue I had was with the treble and sibilance.At the time I was using a portable dac amp (hrt microstreamer) and the treble was really bothering me.I changed over to my other dac amp (topping dx3 pro),and things improved,but still more treble than I am used to.
Just to mention I never eq my headphones as I like to listen to the music as recorded.
Are you saying that the Yaxi pads created more sibilance, or they just had that sibilance to begin with?

Jun 9, 2020 at 2:25 PM Post #438 of 1,051
There's plenty of ways to calm the treble. Easiest and probably best is to put some sort of filter between your ears and the drivers. On my set I use a pair of foam pieces that I bought on Ebay, which are supposed to be replacements for Sennheiser cans. These, I find, change the sound the least, they just smooth out any edges on the treble (at least thin ones, I also got thick ones which veil the sound quite a bit). You can also use a felt piece, toilet paper, literally anything that's thin and will let the sound through. Experiment to find what you like. There's no correct answer here when it comes to "what works best?", if you like how your headphones sound, it's perfect.

Jun 9, 2020 at 2:34 PM Post #439 of 1,051
Yes the yaxi pads for me gave more sibilance.I suppose it could also be the recording of the music as I dont eq,but the particular disc has never given me issues on other headphones(more than 10 different pairs).
tolis626 I have seen your posts about filters and if the sibilance continues will give it a try.
Could be down to my ears as well.I am listening to Sleep well beast by the national at the moment and it is perfect.Will go back to the other disc in a couple of days to see if there is any audible change.Just for info the disc with sibilance is Neil Finn one nil which is s recent well produced disc.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2020 at 2:45 PM Post #440 of 1,051
Yes the yaxi pads for me gave more sibilance.I suppose it could also be the recording of the music as I dont eq,but the particular disc has never given me issues on other headphones(more than 10 different pairs).
tolis626 I have seen your posts about filters and if the sibilance continues will give it a try.
Could be down to my ears as well.I am listening to Sleep well beast by the national at the moment and it is perfect.Will go back to the other disc in a couple of days to see if there is any audible change.Just for info the disc with sibilance is Neil Finn one nil which is s recent well produced disc.
Glad you got them. Have you tried lowering 7khz by about -2db? That'll probably clear that up. I don't find them sibilant myself, but then I think I must be something of a treble head.

BTW: are you running them balanced? From what I gather, bass is more articulated balanced, which might tame the high end.

Jun 9, 2020 at 2:46 PM Post #441 of 1,051
No matter how you run them, the MSR7b are always walking a fine line between being bright in just the right way and being sibilant. At least in my opinion. Use them stock or go all out on modding them, there's instances where you'll get some harsh SSS sounds. It's probably an inherent characteristic of the driver. It's not as bad as it may sound, it doesn't get bothersome 99% of the time, unlike the original MSR7 which, at least in stock form, were... Oof. Ear-piercingly sibilant. But you are getting a bright-ish headphone and it's par for the course. Dampening the thing just a tad works wonders and doesn't otherwise mess with the sound in a noticeable amount.

Having said that, going with bigger pads always exacerbates the issue. The Yaxi aren't as big as the HM5, so you're probably not getting much in the way of sibilance, but use HM5 pads with no further mods and sibilance-prone music is gonna do your eardrums no favors. Also, I got a pair of microsuede HM5 just for giggles and tried them on the MSR7b. Don't. Just don't. They get murderous. Stick to leather/pleather.

Jun 9, 2020 at 2:57 PM Post #442 of 1,051
Hi Nostoi - not running them balanced.Might sound crazy but I don't like playing around with eq.I leave the recordings bit perfect through my laptop using linux, flac files.

tolis626,I am listening to the disc that gave me the problems.Treble is now okay,but still get more sibilance than I am used to.Lots of vocals so maybe his voice is also quite sibilant.The mids and bass are spot on,probably the best detail I have heard in any of my past headphones.
Wont be playing around with the earpads.Might just use other headphones I have for certain recordings.

Jun 9, 2020 at 6:22 PM Post #443 of 1,051
The treble will calm down with more use/burn-in. I wouldn’t mess with pads/mods or EQ, yet.

Jun 10, 2020 at 3:36 AM Post #444 of 1,051
The treble will calm down with more use/burn-in. I wouldn’t mess with pads/mods or EQ, yet.
Agreed,I dont tend to mess around with mods apart from sometimes changing the pads.Even if the sibilance stays on certain recordings these headphones are keepers as in all other areas they have impressed me.I have a pair of Denon ah-d5200s on the way to cover music that has deep bass but already thinking they might not be needed.

Jun 10, 2020 at 9:27 AM Post #445 of 1,051
Well, it does, that's true. But mine have been burnt in alright after a year of almost constant use. They still get peaky sometimes. A mod as simple as adding 2-ply toilet paper behind the pad is easy, quick, poses no risk to the headphones and costs practically nothing. Giving it a shot wouldn't hurt. Worst case scenario, you wasted some toilet paper.

Jun 10, 2020 at 10:23 AM Post #446 of 1,051
Well, it does, that's true. But mine have been burnt in alright after a year of almost constant use. They still get peaky sometimes. A mod as simple as adding 2-ply toilet paper behind the pad is easy, quick, poses no risk to the headphones and costs practically nothing. Giving it a shot wouldn't hurt. Worst case scenario, you wasted some toilet paper.
Hi,will give this a try if the sibilance continues.Thanks for your input.

Jun 10, 2020 at 3:49 PM Post #448 of 1,051
Actually I have a back up pair of headphones that I use for travel - Mackie mc-250.I put them on and listened to the recording that I found sibilant,and it was also sibilant with the Mackies.The sibilance is there,but I think this is more of a case of being over critical when listening to new headphones.

Jun 11, 2020 at 6:31 PM Post #449 of 1,051
does anyone have any measurements for the dimensions of the MSR7b earpads? inside width, height, and depth would be greatly appreciated. i found the measurements for the MSR7 stock pads, and with an inner height of 50mm, they would be too small for my ears. is the height of the MSR7b stock pads the same as the MSR7 stock pads? if so does anyone know of any replacement ear pads that offer a particularly taller inner height while also staying as true as possible to the original sound with stock pads?

Jun 11, 2020 at 10:18 PM Post #450 of 1,051
hi guys, wanna ask you opinion about MSR7B vs Senn PXC550 from sound quality.. I'm using m40x now and want something different for music, a little bit fun for hearing music but still have a good sound quality. I'm using Shanling M2X as my source of music

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back