Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7b Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jan 18, 2020 at 6:32 PM Post #316 of 1,051
Got the MSR7b yesterday. I let them "burning in" for approx. 12 hours, even though I do have my reserve about burn-in. I use them with 2 DAPs having lots of power, the Dethonray DTR1 and the Calyx M.

I used to own the original MSR7 and I am surprised how light and more comfortable the MSR7b are. The sound is a bit more mature, treble tamed down just what it needs to keep the great sound signature of the MSR7.

What strikes me is how the MSR7b outclasses my now sold Urbanfun TS1 (USD 199.-) in every possible way. I bought the Urbanfun in June 2019 based on good reviews and especially a raving one from a well-known reviewer on YT. What a disappointment! Sub-par built quality, muddy sound, poor detail retrieval, lifeless music reproduction. Sold 2 months after the purchase. For USD 215.-, the MSR7b really shine. I would like just a tad more low-end at times, but I have other drivers at disposal for that.

So, people looking for a nice sounding pair of closed cans at affordable price, the MSR7b is a very good starting point. Bassheads will have to look elsewhere, tough.
Those daps don't seem to have a lot of power, but plenty to drive the Msr7b.

Jan 18, 2020 at 6:34 PM Post #317 of 1,051
Those daps don't seem to have a lot of power, but plenty to drive the Msr7b.
They have plenty of power... oh yes. What are your references in terms of power when it comes to DAPs?

Jan 19, 2020 at 1:30 AM Post #319 of 1,051
My Opus#1s has 3.2 vrms single ended, and 3.4 balanced. That's over double of the Calyex M... According to specs. My Fiio M11 has even more.
Ok, thanks for elaborating. I demoed the M11 and both the Calyx and the DTR1 have more power. My E5000 and Fibae Black were better driven, even if the figures are saying something else (I have to check these). Cannot tell about the Opus, I never heard it. Happy listening :)

Jan 19, 2020 at 3:40 AM Post #320 of 1,051
Ok, thanks for elaborating. I demoed the M11 and both the Calyx and the DTR1 have more power. My E5000 and Fibae Black were better driven, even if the figures are saying something else (I have to check these). Cannot tell about the Opus, I never heard it. Happy listening :)
Hmm. What headphones did you use to test this? How could you tell?

Jan 19, 2020 at 1:49 PM Post #322 of 1,051
Can someone of you suggest a good and not expensive amp with 4,4 balanced input?
It should have a really low output impedance I think too

I was going to suggest the Fiio Q5S, but then I don't know if that is too expensive for you or not.

Edit: I just read your question again, did you mean 4.4 input or output?

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2020 at 4:13 PM Post #326 of 1,051
Hmm. What headphones did you use to test this? How could you tell?
Not wanting to derail the thread too much, I will send you a PM.

Jan 20, 2020 at 10:25 AM Post #327 of 1,051
I have been using Hyperx Cloud II headphones for a while and I finally decided to upgrade my headphones. I did a lot of searching and it took me a long time to finally decide that ATH-MSRS7b will be my next headphones. I ordered them and I couldn`t wait for them to be finally delivered. Considering the price, I was expecting a big difference in sound quality. But when I put them on, I was disappointed. They literally sound the same as hyperx cloud II headphones. Also they aren`t as comfortable as hyperx cloud II. They are a little too small for my liking. Now after some more reading I foound a thread that said you should just listen to them for a week and then listen to the old ones and you will notice how better the new ones are. And that`s what I did. I was listening to ATH-MSRS7b for a week, and then I decided to try hyperx cloud II again to see if I will notice any difference. And no, to my disappointment there was no difference. Did I just spend 220€ for nothing? I guess I did. I really hope im missing something, but I don`t think that`s the case. I will have to sell one pair of headphones and I think It will be ATH-MSRS7b, because hyperx cloud II are much cheaper, sounds the same, have a mic and are little bit more comfortable. So Im disappointed, I was expecting big difference in sound quality, but there is none. I guess I was expecting too much. Sure on their own, the headphones are amazing, but against hyperx cloud II, there is no difference and I see no reason why I would keep them expecially because they are twice as expensive as cloud II.

Jan 20, 2020 at 11:55 AM Post #328 of 1,051
I have been using Hyperx Cloud II headphones for a while and I finally decided to upgrade my headphones. I did a lot of searching and it took me a long time to finally decide that ATH-MSRS7b will be my next headphones. I ordered them and I couldn`t wait for them to be finally delivered. Considering the price, I was expecting a big difference in sound quality. But when I put them on, I was disappointed. They literally sound the same as hyperx cloud II headphones. Also they aren`t as comfortable as hyperx cloud II. They are a little too small for my liking. Now after some more reading I foound a thread that said you should just listen to them for a week and then listen to the old ones and you will notice how better the new ones are. And that`s what I did. I was listening to ATH-MSRS7b for a week, and then I decided to try hyperx cloud II again to see if I will notice any difference. And no, to my disappointment there was no difference. Did I just spend 220€ for nothing? I guess I did. I really hope im missing something, but I don`t think that`s the case. I will have to sell one pair of headphones and I think It will be ATH-MSRS7b, because hyperx cloud II are much cheaper, sounds the same, have a mic and are little bit more comfortable. So Im disappointed, I was expecting big difference in sound quality, but there is none. I guess I was expecting too much. Sure on their own, the headphones are amazing, but against hyperx cloud II, there is no difference and I see no reason why I would keep them expecially because they are twice as expensive as cloud II.
@zigaliro , so sorry to hear about your "meh" experience with the 7b! I haven't heard the Hyperx, but a quick check on rtings.com shows a frequency graph with a large dip at 4 kHz. I would imagine this lack of energy in the lower-treble region, would be most noticeable as a lack of overall "presence" or "space" in many instruments (e.g., snares and brass instruments...).

What are some tracks (track names, encoding quality) that you're using to compare the two headphones?

Jan 20, 2020 at 11:59 AM Post #329 of 1,051
What is your source for music? What type of music files are you using?

Jan 20, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #330 of 1,051
@zigaliro , so sorry to hear about your "meh" experience with the 7b! I haven't heard the Hyperx, but a quick check on rtings.com shows a frequency graph with a large dip at 4 kHz. I would imagine this lack of energy in the lower-treble region, would be most noticeable as a lack of overall "presence" or "space" in many instruments (e.g., snares and brass instruments...).

What are some tracks (track names, encoding quality) that you're using to compare the two headphones?

I mean I wouldn`t say that my experience with them was meh, headphones are amazing. It`s just that compared to hyperx, the sound is basicly the same. Im sure if I didn`t have hyperx headphones before, I would be amazed by the sound quality of 7b.
I only listen on youtube, so youtube quality. And I listen to stuff like Linkin park - Numb, In the end, Foster the people - pumped up kicks, The moth & flame - new great depression, Avicii - hey brother, the night, wake me up.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back