Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7b Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jan 7, 2020 at 2:55 AM Post #301 of 1,047
I understand they have more bass quantity, but I'm more curious about the quality. I'd also like to know how the mids, highs and imaging contrast - compare.

Okay, apologies for not being clear as I was thinking for most people's gym use which is usually just to crank up bass heavy music.
Not sure if you remember me saying a while back but 1AM2 scales very well, far better than the MSR 7 Series.

So as far as the highs & mids are concerned, as long as your source quality & recording quality is at least great, regardless of format, there will be no issue with sound quality & the imaging, staging & clarity are beyond top notch.
1AM2 is among my top 5 headphones I use when I need reference sound.

Hope this better answers your question.

Hope you have a great day !

Jan 7, 2020 at 2:59 AM Post #302 of 1,047
Okay, apologies for not being clear as I was thinking for most people's gym use which is usually just to crank up bass heavy music.
Not sure if you remember me saying a while back but 1AM2 scales very well, far better than the MSR 7 Series.

So as far as the highs & mids are concerned, as long as your source quality & recording quality is at least great, regardless of format, there will be no issue with sound quality & the imaging, staging & clarity are beyond top notch.
1AM2 is among my top 5 headphones I use when I need reference sound.

Hope this better answers your question.

So I'm assuming they don't sound too good with poorly recorded 80s hard rock music? Doesn't seem to be much of a factor with the Msr7b.

Jan 7, 2020 at 3:00 AM Post #303 of 1,047
So I'm assuming they don't sound too good with poorly recorded 80s hard rock music? Doesn't seem to be much of a factor with the Msr7b.

Subjectively & personally, they sound okay with poorly recorded 80's hard rock but your mileage will vary.

Jan 7, 2020 at 4:52 AM Post #304 of 1,047
As I wrote in the 1AM2 thread, at it's best they sound similar to the Sennheiser HD600 in a lot of ways, both musical and detailed. Most music will fit very well. They excel at classic rock as they are dynamic and hard hitting without being harsh.

One problem though is the low impedance of only 16 Ohms, a lot of gear out there which doesn't handle 16 Ohms very well. There is dramatic scaling depending on the quality of the headphone out. In example my LG G7 which is overall a great music phone has troubles, resulting in a smaller soundstage, tinny treble and way too much bass. It all disappears when I insert a Topping NX1, 0.2 Ohms impedance, as a buffer inbetween. Large soundstage, full treble, tight bass.

It's a pity output impedance is usually not listed in the specs for most equipment, but recent gear marketed as head-fi should be good, and apparently Apple/Mac gear as well. Apple seems to have had a quality dip between 2017-2018 but looks to be back on track. Maybe not for long, as all marketing is for wireless nowadays.

Sony WH-1000XM4 will be very interesting to see how close BT can be to cable.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2020 at 6:15 PM Post #305 of 1,047
Future owner of the MSR7b Gunmetal version here. I got the standard MSR7 back in 2014 and loved the sound until I sold them to a very good friend of mine. I never really forgot the nice detailed sound coming out from them. Now, more than 5 years later, it's time to come back this portable, comfy, and great sounding pair of affordable cans.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2020 at 7:01 PM Post #306 of 1,047
I love my Meze Noirs but the bass can be too much sometimes, so I’m currently looking at something as engaging but more balanced. One thing though that the Mezes did right are the amazing vocals they exude. Mmm, so yummy. How do these cans portray vocals? I’ve read that they’re recessed in the mids-area, unfortunately?

But, but! More Importantly, how do the ATs sound with DAPs since they’re all I own? Do they require desktop setups to sing? Sadly though my daps (HIBY R3 and Shanling M5s only has 2.5mm balanced ports. Can I remedy this so these pups work on them?

Jan 11, 2020 at 7:12 PM Post #307 of 1,047
The MSR7b is a tad flater on the vocials than the orginals, but still protrays them well. The MSR7 line in general is designed to run off mobile devices so they don't need alot of power to sing.

I only have the Shanling M0 and UP4 and the MSR7 sounds fantastic on those.

Jan 11, 2020 at 7:15 PM Post #308 of 1,047
I love my Meze Noirs but the bass can be too much sometimes, so I’m currently looking at something as engaging but more balanced. One thing though that the Mezes did right are the amazing vocals they exude. Mmm, so yummy. How do these cans portray vocals? I’ve read that they’re recessed in the mids-area, unfortunately?

But, but! More Importantly, how do the ATs sound with DAPs since they’re all I own? Do they require desktop setups to sing? Sadly though my daps (HIBY R3 and Shanling M5s only has 2.5mm balanced ports. Can I remedy this so these pups work on them?
I don't find them recessed in the mids at all. You won't get that same level of low mid presence as the Meze. Rather you get more presence from the high mids. Vocals are just as good, if not better. Actually, they're better - especially backup vocals. Guitar work on the Meze has some serious crunch. Guitar work on the Msr7b has some serious sizzle if that makes sense. Both are great, just different. You can get an adapter to accommodate the 2.5mm jack, or source a 2.5mm balanced cable with a2dc connections.

Jan 12, 2020 at 4:14 AM Post #310 of 1,047

they sound very on 3,5mm, too. The good thing is that they come with balanced cable - a $20 fiio converter takes care of the 4,5mm->2,5mm issue. No need for desktop setup or even amp. Out of my Pioneer they shine with the 2,5mm balanced connection

Jan 14, 2020 at 3:56 AM Post #311 of 1,047
For the last month, I've been looking for a closed-back headphone counterpart to my favorite IEMs (a pair of modded JVC HA-FD01s).
The candidate had to check a lot of boxes (affordable, non-leaky, detailed, neutral but enjoyable, lightweight, comfortable, easy-to-drive...).
After a few weeks of intense research, I started thinking that maybe such a candidate didn't exist in the sub-$400 range, and that I'd have to look at higher price brackets.
So, when I finally discovered the ATH-MSR7b, I was thrilled. I almost overlooked it, as it didn't have a particularly appealing name. "ATH-MSR7b" looks like a catalog number for a replacement auto part. (Not to say that "JVC HA-FD01" is named any better.)
The JVCs more closely follow the Harman curve, whereas the 7bs have a more relaxed tuning (by my ear, maybe 3 dBs more bass, 2 dBs less mids, and 2 dBs less treble).
The JVCs are more resolving of fine, micro-details, but the 7b is no slouch; it still resolves the same micro-details, but they are slightly recessed due to the more relaxed tuning.
Build quality is fine, for the price point, but I gotta say: would it have killed Audio-Technica to replace the creaky plastic in the headband, with something metal (or, at least, a NON-creaky plastic)?
All in all, I'm a very happy camper, and I would enthusiastically recommend these to anyone looking for an neutral, great-sounding set of close-backs, and don't want to blow a large wad of cash.
Seriously, don't let their price fool you; these cans deliver the goods.

Jan 14, 2020 at 4:33 AM Post #312 of 1,047
For the last month, I've been looking for a closed-back headphone counterpart to my favorite IEMs (a pair of modded JVC HA-FD01s).
The candidate had to check a lot of boxes (affordable, non-leaky, detailed, neutral but enjoyable, lightweight, comfortable, easy-to-drive...).
After a few weeks of intense research, I started thinking that maybe such a candidate didn't exist in the sub-$400 range, and that I'd have to look at higher price brackets.
So, when I finally discovered the ATH-MSR7b, I was thrilled. I almost overlooked it, as it didn't have a particularly appealing name. "ATH-MSR7b" looks like a catalog number for a replacement auto part. (Not to say that "JVC HA-FD01" is named any better.)
The JVCs more closely follow the Harman curve, whereas the 7bs have a more relaxed tuning (by my ear, maybe 3 dBs more bass, 2 dBs less mids, and 2 dBs less treble).
The JVCs are more resolving of fine, micro-details, but the 7b is no slouch; it still resolves the same micro-details, but they are slightly recessed due to the more relaxed tuning.
Build quality is fine, for the price point, but I gotta say: would it have killed Audio-Technica to replace the creaky plastic in the headband, with something metal (or, at least, a NON-creaky plastic)?
All in all, I'm a very happy camper, and I would enthusiastically recommend these to anyone looking for an neutral, great-sounding set of close-backs, and don't want to blow a large wad of cash.
Seriously, don't let their price fool you; these cans deliver the goods.
Neutral eh?

Jan 14, 2020 at 4:46 AM Post #313 of 1,047
Neutral eh?
Well neutral to my ears anyway. Folks have different opinions on neutrality, which is not surprising given that people's ears are different, and they may enjoy different kinds of music, and their ears are "burned in" to whatever their favorite headphones happens to currently be. But yeah, to me, these sound fairly neutral. No one register is too forward or too back relative to the others.

Jan 15, 2020 at 7:30 AM Post #314 of 1,047
Can you give a quick synopsis between the Msr7b and mdr-1am2? I dig the Msr7b, like a lot. I've been tempted to pull the trigger on the Sony for another pair of gym cans. Most people I've spoke with seem to really like the mdr-1am2. Thx
PhotoGrid_1579091268894.jpg

Jan 18, 2020 at 3:24 PM Post #315 of 1,047
Got the MSR7b yesterday. I let them "burning in" for approx. 12 hours, even though I do have my reserve about burn-in. I use them with 2 DAPs having lots of power, the Dethonray DTR1 and the Calyx M.

I used to own the original MSR7 and I am surprised how light and more comfortable the MSR7b are. The sound is a bit more mature, treble tamed down just what it needs to keep the great sound signature of the MSR7.

What strikes me is how the MSR7b outclasses my now sold Urbanfun TS1 (USD 199.-) in every possible way. I bought the Urbanfun in June 2019 based on good reviews and especially a raving one from a well-known reviewer on YT. What a disappointment! Sub-par built quality, muddy sound, poor detail retrieval, lifeless music reproduction. Sold 2 months after the purchase. For USD 215.-, the MSR7b really shine. I would like just a tad more low-end at times, but I have other drivers at disposal for that.

So, people looking for a nice sounding pair of closed cans at affordable price, the MSR7b is a very good starting point. Bassheads will have to look elsewhere, tough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back