Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7b Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jan 28, 2019 at 10:44 PM Post #46 of 1,047
(SSandDigital) With a lot of terminology in the audio world often loosely defined, using inaccurate and emotional terms like “pitiful” probably does not add to your argument.

I think of soundstage as the way a system let’s you perceive space with the sound, and therefore consists of mainly three parts: imaging, separation, distance (maybe airy-ness too). Do keep in mind that this is just my opinion, but offering context in a discussion can be helpful.

I owned MSR7s and currently own MSR7b and AD1000X. Honestly IMO the “soundstage” with MSR7b while more “sealed” is quite comparable to my AD1000X, even “deeper” forward (and MSR7s not far behind either). Many will argue that the AD series are not known for wide soundstage among open headphones but still, regarding imaging and separation they are respectable. They might not offer much in terms of “distance”, but with the way human ears perceive sound in nature, the sense of distance often comes with two things: low volume and low definition.

If what you meant by “pitiful” was that they don’t sound “huge”, then headphones in general aren’t for you. Headphones can never compete with speakers for “huge” sound, but a lot of it has to do with the fact that they offer higher definition and better imaging. To me soundstage is much more than just “size”, but that’s just my opinion and you can disagree.
Nice write up! So what differences are you hearing between the old and new models? Are you listening balanced?

Jan 28, 2019 at 11:08 PM Post #47 of 1,047
Nice write up! So what differences are you hearing between the old and new models? Are you listening balanced?

Thank you! I believe you saw my first post in this thread (#8), so far not much has changed since then. Unfortunately I had to leave my MSR7s in Japan due to having too much stuff to carry so I can’t do direct comparisons now, but here are a few things I can say:

I haven’t tried the MSR7SEs yet, but from what I’ve read about them MSR7b without balanced seem to sound very similar to those. So if you’ve tried them you might have a better idea of what MSR7b could sound like!

Compared to my AD1000X, MSR7bs definitely don’t sound as “full” and “airy”, but as mentioned above soundstage is comparable and separation sounds better imo. For jazz, vocals, etc. I prefer AD1000X for the amount of emotion they manage to convey, but interestingly for tracks with larger scale (such as orchestra) I prefer MSR7b as they have more control and define “blank space” better (if that makes sense...)

I’m often on the go so my current setup is iPad Pro + usb-c DAC (3.5 output), don’t have balanced setup yet so can’t offer any insight on that :)
Still I think the best feature of MSR7b is comfort: they’re definitely the most comfortable ATs I’ve ever tried. Since I do like the AT house sound but hate their comfort issues, MSR7b is like a dream come true for me.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2019 at 11:10 PM Post #48 of 1,047
Thank you! I believe you saw my first post in this thread (#8), so far not much has changed since then. Unfortunately I had to leave my MSR7s in Japan due to having too much stuff to carry so I can’t do direct comparisons now, but here are a few things I can say:

I haven’t tried the MSR7SEs yet, but from what I’ve read about them MSR7b without balanced seem to sound very similar to those. So if you’ve tried them you might have a better idea of what MSR7b could sound like!

Compared to my AD1000X, MSR7bs definitely don’t sound as “full” and “airy”, but as mentioned above soundstage is comparable and separation sounds better imo. For jazz, vocals, etc. I prefer AD1000X for the amount of emotion they manage to convey, but interestingly for tracks with larger scale (such as orchestra) I prefer MSR7b as they have more control and define “blank space” better (if that makes sense...)

I’m often on the go so my current setup is iPad Pro + usb-c DAC (3.5 output), don’t have balanced setup yet so can’t offer any insight on that :)
Still I think the best feature of MSR7b is comfort: they’re definitely the most comfortable ATs I’ve ever tried. Since I do like the AT house sound but hate their comfort issues, MSR7b is like a dream come true for me.
You're on fire tonight. Thank you for the info!

Jan 29, 2019 at 6:17 PM Post #49 of 1,047
(SSandDigital) With a lot of terminology in the audio world often loosely defined, using inaccurate and emotional terms like “pitiful” probably does not add to your argument.

I think of soundstage as the way a system let’s you perceive space with the sound, and therefore consists of mainly three parts: imaging, separation, distance (maybe airy-ness too). Do keep in mind that this is just my opinion, but offering context in a discussion can be helpful.

I owned MSR7s and currently own MSR7b and AD1000X. Honestly IMO the “soundstage” with MSR7b while more “sealed” is quite comparable to my AD1000X, even “deeper” forward (and MSR7s not far behind either). Many will argue that the AD series are not known for wide soundstage among open headphones but still, regarding imaging and separation they are respectable. They might not offer much in terms of “distance”, but with the way human ears perceive sound in nature, the sense of distance often comes with two things: low volume and low definition.

If what you meant by “pitiful” was that they don’t sound “huge”, then headphones in general aren’t for you. Headphones can never compete with speakers for “huge” sound, but a lot of it has to do with the fact that they offer higher definition and better imaging. To me soundstage is much more than just “size”, but that’s just my opinion and you can disagree.
+1
Btw, do you spot a difference in sound with balanced and single ednded cables with the MSR7b? (I talk about sound quality difference not the noise) Im pretty sure that there is no difference in terms of sound quality but I read something like this in other forum...

Jan 29, 2019 at 10:54 PM Post #50 of 1,047
+1
Btw, do you spot a difference in sound with balanced and single ednded cables with the MSR7b? (I talk about sound quality difference not the noise) Im pretty sure that there is no difference in terms of sound quality but I read something like this in other forum...

Hi Nikolay, unfortunately as mentioned before I do not have a setup for 4.4, so I can’t compare the two cables. I believe they have the same level of materials, but as you said according to other reviews the balanced cable seems to have different sound signatures.

Mar 13, 2019 at 10:00 PM Post #54 of 1,047
I ordered the ATH-MSR7B from a seller on Amazon.jp. I received what seems to be the ATH-MSR7 (It is printed on the box and on the warranty card). Is there any sure way to know which version I got? (Is ATH-MSR7B printed on the box and warranty card?)

Mar 13, 2019 at 10:11 PM Post #55 of 1,047
I ordered the ATH-MSR7B from a seller on Amazon.jp. I received what seems to be the ATH-MSR7 (It is printed on the box and on the warranty card). Is there any sure way to know which version I got? (Is ATH-MSR7B printed on the box and warranty card?)
Single entry vs double entry .Should have came with a 2nd balanced cable

Mar 13, 2019 at 10:35 PM Post #56 of 1,047
Thanks. I confirmed with the seller and he said the wrong one was shipped. He said he'll replace it with the proper item but I think I am just going to ask for a refund because I think this guy is shady. I'll go and buy from my local audio shop even if the price is 20% more (25,000 yen vs 30,000 yen). I don't feel like waiting the 3 or 4 days it will take for me to send back the wrong item and then for him to send me the correct item.

Mar 26, 2019 at 11:18 PM Post #59 of 1,047
I picked up a pair of these Monday in Sydney, for a surprisingly good price, A$319.

First impressions - very comfy with good sound. Bassier than the HD6xx and also the soundstage is less wide (but by no means narrow), but maybe it's not a fair comparison, as I listen to the HD6xx balanced off a Fiio Q1 mk2, whereas the MSR-7b off a 3,5mm unbalanced. To me they sound better than the original Sony MDR-1000x unpowered.

Some reviewer mentioned sound dampening - well, don't believe it. A PSB M4U does dampen the outside noise, this doesn't. I will probably not use them in a noisy environment.

Mar 26, 2019 at 11:21 PM Post #60 of 1,047
I picked up a pair of these Monday in Sydney, for a surprisingly good price, A$319.

First impressions - very comfy with good sound. Bassier than the HD6xx and also the soundstage is less wide (but by no means narrow), but maybe it's not a fair comparison, as I listen to the HD6xx balanced off a Fiio Q1 mk2, whereas the MSR-7b off a 3,5mm unbalanced. To me they sound better than the original Sony MDR-1000x unpowered.

Some reviewer mentioned sound dampening - well, don't believe it. A PSB M4U does dampen the outside noise, this doesn't. I will probably not use them in a noisy environment.
How would you describe the upper / higher frequencies?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back