Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7b Impressions & Discussion Thread
May 8, 2019 at 6:13 PM Post #136 of 1,047
Hi. I am just in the learning stage and I loved your explanation. Thanks. But I have one question. How does one modify the MSR7 to make it 'wider'?
Glad I could be of help!

Well, first off, I'm talking about the original MSR7, not the MSR7b, just so we're clear. Now, you can find details on what I did in the link in my signature. The tl;dr version is that you get a pair of HM5 leather pads, open up your headphones, remove the felt ring that covers a hole in the middle of the headphones, reassemble them WITH CARE and then use the HM5 pads. What caused them to become wider are the bigger pads, probably, but these pads don't work on them at all without modding. Putting HM5 pads on the stock MSR7 was rather unpleasant, as all of the bass vanished and highs became murderous. After doing the felt mod and putting on HM5 pads, the headphones produce what is IMO the perfect amount of bass, with insanely good sub bass and smoother than stock highs.

Now, I don't know if the same can be done on the MSR7b. And even if it can be done, I can't know if it's going to be worth the trouble. What I do know is that I want to get a pair of MSR7b to mess with in the rather near future. Whenever I do, I will make sure to post my findings here, especially if no one else takes the plunge to try modding them first. :)

May 12, 2019 at 2:21 PM Post #137 of 1,047
I’m super interested in the MSR7b, however I have one question: how is the isolation on these? I’m currently using the MEE audio Pinnacle P1 on plane trips with Comply tips, and they provide enough isolation from the drone of the plane’s engines that I’m happy. My ear canals beg to differ after an hour or so, and that’s why I’m exploring over-ears.

Does the MSR7b offer a comparable level of passive isolation?

Thank you!

May 12, 2019 at 3:44 PM Post #138 of 1,047
I’m super interested in the MSR7b, however I have one question: how is the isolation on these? I’m currently using the MEE audio Pinnacle P1 on plane trips with Comply tips, and they provide enough isolation from the drone of the plane’s engines that I’m happy. My ear canals beg to differ after an hour or so, and that’s why I’m exploring over-ears.

Does the MSR7b offer a comparable level of passive isolation?

Thank you!
I will answer under the assumption that the MSR7b aren't too different in this aspect from the original MSR7. The isolation is not great. It's not bad, by any means, but don't expect to be buyign basically earmuffs. And that goes both ways, music leaks if you crank it. That said, it's not too bad either. They block almost all high frequencies, so any high pitched whine from the engines/air outside, babies crying and loud chatter would not bother you. Where they lack is isolation from low frequency sounds, where they don't block much, really. But even on headphones/IEMs that do block sound really well, that rumble caused by engine vibrations is audible, as osseous transmission of sound can't be defeated by blocking the ear canal.

My guess is that they'll be fine for a plane, as the worst sounds are high pitched there, and the low frequency rumble can't be properly dealt with anyway, unless you crank your music a bit. Interestingly, the MSR7 fare worse in a bus than they do in an airplane when it comes to isolation. Lower resonant frequencies, perhaps?

May 16, 2019 at 11:43 AM Post #139 of 1,047
I will answer under the assumption that the MSR7b aren't too different in this aspect from the original MSR7. The isolation is not great. It's not bad, by any means, but don't expect to be buyign basically earmuffs. And that goes both ways, music leaks if you crank it. That said, it's not too bad either. They block almost all high frequencies, so any high pitched whine from the engines/air outside, babies crying and loud chatter would not bother you. Where they lack is isolation from low frequency sounds, where they don't block much, really. But even on headphones/IEMs that do block sound really well, that rumble caused by engine vibrations is audible, as osseous transmission of sound can't be defeated by blocking the ear canal.

My guess is that they'll be fine for a plane, as the worst sounds are high pitched there, and the low frequency rumble can't be properly dealt with anyway, unless you crank your music a bit. Interestingly, the MSR7 fare worse in a bus than they do in an airplane when it comes to isolation. Lower resonant frequencies, perhaps?

I really appreciate your reply! I pulled the trigger on picking up the MSR7b and have been really enjoying it so far. You're right that it's not like earmuffs however I think I will be able to manage background noise in an airplane environment; I tested it last night by having my window air conditioner going and was able to happily enjoy my music without noticing the window unit.

Granted, a plane's background noise can be louder than a window unit, however I think my purchase was well worth it. These are also my first pair of over-ears and I'm learning a lot about how to best sit the headphones on my head and over my ears to optimize isolation and soundstage.

Thank you!

May 19, 2019 at 9:31 AM Post #140 of 1,047
How's MSR7b versus M70x?

May 19, 2019 at 11:16 AM Post #141 of 1,047
I really appreciate your reply! I pulled the trigger on picking up the MSR7b and have been really enjoying it so far. You're right that it's not like earmuffs however I think I will be able to manage background noise in an airplane environment; I tested it last night by having my window air conditioner going and was able to happily enjoy my music without noticing the window unit.

Granted, a plane's background noise can be louder than a window unit, however I think my purchase was well worth it. These are also my first pair of over-ears and I'm learning a lot about how to best sit the headphones on my head and over my ears to optimize isolation and soundstage.

Thank you!
Glad you like them!

The best test I've found for making out what the MSR7 block and what they don't is the kitchen. So, I was in my kitchen frying something in a pan. So naturally, I have oil popping everywhere. I'm also wearing the MSR7 listening to music, but quietly, not loud at all. The oil popping would completely disappear (even without music), other noises (like people talking in the adjacent room) would practically disappear if music was playing, but the only thing that they couldn't block was the low frequency hum from the fan of my absorber (? Is that the right term for the appliance that removes fumes and stuff from the kitchen when cooking?).

May 21, 2019 at 1:24 PM Post #142 of 1,047
I bought the MSR7B, and have used them over the last 2 weeks as my primary daily driver at work. I love them. They seem like an obvious upgrade to my Sony MDR V6 since they pick up SOOO much more detail and are more extended on both ends. The noise isolation isn't that great for a closed headphone, it's actually worse than my semi-closed Mod-House Argons. These headphones are making me reconsider my sound profile preference, since the Argons were my previous favorite headphones - now it's in doubt.

If anyone's looking for a cheap 2.5mm balanced cable, the following one works with about a half hour of rework:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/FDB...lgo_pvid=2d2ab482-2b70-494e-b65f-1a13af8ac181

Probably other "A2DC to 2.5mm" searches will work also - but may be more difficult to fit. These were meant for IEM's - so the A2DC plugs just barely interfere with the recessed socket on the headphones. I used a grinder on the dremel, and carefully ground the aluminum plug (black) to roughly the same diameter as the copper A2DC end. If you do this like me, do it on slow speed to prevent the plug heating up - it may affect solder. I also took tiny scissors to carefully remove the memory-wire ear guide - but this part is optional.

I was using a 2.5mm to 4.4mm adapter I bought from Amazon - to use the 4.4mm balanced cable that came in the box. But with any movement, the adapter lost connection with the headphone cable, and I'd lose sound on one side.

I much prefer this reworked cable to using an extra adapter. Also - since the plugs are much smaller than the original 4.4mm balanced cable, these will fit in a headphone case more easily without me having to take the cables off each time.

May 21, 2019 at 2:02 PM Post #144 of 1,047
I'm using these with a Sabaj Da3 at work, and a Sabaj D5 at home. Both hooked up to Windows PC's. The D5 has an XLR to 2.5mm adapter.

Subjectively I feel I get a better 3D presence, a slightly better ability to place instruments going balanced. It's not a big soundstage, my Argons are much bigger, but it seems pretty accurate.

May 25, 2019 at 4:21 AM Post #147 of 1,047
Just bought MSR7b earlier today for ~USD227.. Now enjoying it with my ZX300 Walkman .. So far it sounds great.. Good bass, vocal forward & "non-ear-piercing" treble.. I got this to complement my Sony MDR-1AM2 deep sub-bass sound signature..
IMG_20190525_152548.jpg

Last edited:
May 25, 2019 at 8:36 AM Post #148 of 1,047
Do any treble heads enjoy this headphone? I used to consider myself a treble head, but now I cant tell if these are a bit rolled off. Or perhaps at age 41 my ears can't pick up the high frequencies as well any more.

May 25, 2019 at 3:47 PM Post #149 of 1,047
Is there even such a thing a treble head? Jesus Christ, I got a headache just thinking about people doing with treble what bassheads do with bass. Like "Gimme all the treble NOW".

On a more serious note, these should be great for treble. The original MSR7, while really good in speed, detail and timbre had some really nasty peaks, at least in stock form. From what I've gathered, the MSR7b should be close to that, but smoother. They should be just as treble-y, but no huge 10k peak to pierce your soul if you play them loud.

PS : Has anyone bought these really recently in Europe? Stocks seem super low and currently I can't see any retailers that will ship to Greece. I'm in no hurry as I'm currently just flirting with the idea of getting these, but I would expect widespread availability by now.

PS 2 : No matter how great these are, MSR7 can now be had for about 150€. Add 30-ish€ for a pair of leather HM5 pads, mod them and for 180€ you have one of the best sounding headphones I've heard. Can't beat the value of that. I can now officially insult people who choose M50x over these. And a lot of others too, but especially M50x owners.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back