Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9 and ATH-ESW9A Thread
Oct 18, 2014 at 1:40 AM Post #676 of 787
Rats! There's a new limited edition ESW9 coming out soon. Good and bad news. Bad for the wallet at least.

That one has a higher impedance. I wonder what changes in sound there will be? They state that the frequency response extends higher as well.

Unfortunately, it looks like the same thin, relatively flimsy cable.

Oct 18, 2014 at 2:11 AM Post #677 of 787
Rats! There's a new limited edition ESW9 coming out soon. Good and bad news. Bad for the wallet at least.

That one has a higher impedance. I wonder what changes in sound there will be? They state that the frequency response extends higher as well.

Unfortunately, it looks like the same thin, relatively flimsy cable.

Really? I'm excited about what they might be!

Oct 19, 2014 at 9:31 AM Post #680 of 787
Other thread here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/738622/new-audio-technica-limited-edition-woodies-ath-esw9ltd

Price to be determined, but it seems it might be ~$400-450.

Comes out Nov 21.

Oct 23, 2014 at 10:47 AM Post #681 of 787
  I didn't quite read everything on the whole thread but I would like to know how the bass and the treble sounds.
Is the bass on these headphones comparable to the V-Moda XS/M-80?
And also are the trebles sibilant?
Do these headphones have an airy sound?
I am a bit of a treble head and I don't like the bass emphasized sound signature so I would like to how these would fit my tastes.  
I listen to a lot of J-Pop/J-Rock, Rock, Rap.

Sorry if this seems out of place but I would like to have a bit of knowledge of these headphones.

Thanks!

These headphones are not for you then.
No they are nothing like the V-modas
No they are not sibilant
For its size it has quite good soundstage
The treble drops off quite early to emphasise the mids so no these are not for J-pop/J-Rock

The audio technica ES10 have more of a v shaped sound signature which would suit you a little bit more

I have bought the ESW9's (a few weeks ago) at a BestBuy that was an open boxed but in mint condition (out of curiosity) and I've gotta say; I was planning to return them since I dropped 2 hundred bucks on them but I'm in love with them. I absolutely love the sound (to my surprise) and the attractive look of the wooden housings. I just love about almost everything about them though I can't say the same about the cable all too much. I thought at first that the cable was practical as it was light and these not make a lot of noise when on-the-go but then I realized that I have IEMs for portable use.

So I am looking for a cable mod that goes in step by step with pictures or a video that shows how to recable the cables. It would also be nice if anyone can point me to anywhere where I can get the cables recabled. I've seen Blue Dragon cable mods and a couple of other mods but they were either "FS/FT" threads or the pictures were deleted and I wouldn't be able to follow all too well.

Can anyone point me to anywhere?

Oct 23, 2014 at 11:59 AM Post #682 of 787

I have bought the ESW9's (a few weeks ago) at a BestBuy that was an open boxed but in mint condition (out of curiosity) and I've gotta say; I was planning to return them since I dropped 2 hundred bucks on them but I'm in love with them. I absolutely love the sound (to my surprise) and the attractive look of the wooden housings. I just love about almost everything about them though I can't say the same about the cable all too much. I thought at first that the cable was practical as it was light and these not make a lot of noise when on-the-go but then I realized that I have IEMs for portable use.

So I am looking for a cable mod that goes in step by step with pictures or a video that shows how to recable the cables. It would also be nice if anyone can point me to anywhere where I can get the cables recabled. I've seen Blue Dragon cable mods and a couple of other mods but they were either "FS/FT" threads or the pictures were deleted and I wouldn't be able to follow all too well.

This . I would like this too haha

Oct 24, 2014 at 4:35 PM Post #683 of 787

Contact Ted at tedsheadfood here on head-fi. He's done cable mods on the ESW9s. Ted is a standup guy, and I strongly recommend him.

Oct 25, 2014 at 6:10 AM Post #684 of 787
I'm interested in a cable mod too.
Keep us posted.

Oct 26, 2014 at 2:29 PM Post #685 of 787
Hi,
I recently purchased these on ebay: esw9.
they will be my first proper earphones, after years of apple EarPods :D
In my research I read repeatedly that there are lots of fakes in circulation, which even sound quite good. Since I might not be able to tell by sound (in germany the esw9's are not available in shops, so i'll have nothing to compare them to) I was wondering if someone could give me there opinion, just judging by the looks. 
I got them very cheap I think, so I got suspicious :)
Thanks in advance

Oct 26, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #686 of 787
Hi,
I recently purchased these on ebay: esw9.
they will be my first proper earphones, after years of apple EarPods :D
In my research I read repeatedly that there are lots of fakes in circulation, which even sound quite good. Since I might not be able to tell by sound (in germany the esw9's are not available in shops, so i'll have nothing to compare them to) I was wondering if someone could give me there opinion, just judging by the looks. 
I got them very cheap I think, so I got suspicious :)
Thanks in advance

Open 'Em up and see if the voice coils use blue wire!
The fakes do not usually use blue wire.
The exposed metal in the headband should have an almost Chrome-like finish.
The black plastic on the ear piece pivots should have a very subtle gold flake finish.

Oct 29, 2014 at 10:25 AM Post #688 of 787
you should also look up pictures of the esw9's and compare them to the one you bought.  Another couple of things that might be different is the "left" and "right" writing is not the same and the stitching is not straight or not very well done on the headband.

Nov 10, 2014 at 2:56 PM Post #689 of 787
I was looking for a closed version of HD650 (I hate bright headphones) and my research shows I couldn't do better than these. But someone in this thread mentioned that they're on-ear headphones and don't cover the entire ear. Is that so? I don't want anything to do with a headphone that touches my ears, let alone rests on them while I enjoy music. For me, that's always painful after 30 minutes or so.

Nov 10, 2014 at 5:34 PM Post #690 of 787
  I was looking for a closed version of HD650 (I hate bright headphones) and my research shows I couldn't do better than these. But someone in this thread mentioned that they're on-ear headphones and don't cover the entire ear. Is that so? I don't want anything to do with a headphone that touches my ears, let alone rests on them while I enjoy music. For me, that's always painful after 30 minutes or so.

Correct on all counts, the ESW9 is close-ish to a HD650 (and I do own both), perhaps surprisingly the ESW9 has more sub bass and slightly more treble. Yes it is on ear so if it is painful, I'd suggest look elsewhere. If you have small ears then look at the original momentums

Users who are viewing this thread

Back