Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9 and ATH-ESW9A Thread
Sep 23, 2014 at 6:09 AM Post #661 of 787

Funny I came back to this thread just because I noticed the swivel elements have a different design. The older one had a stupid gap where it needed the strength the most. (tension on the inside) They look much sturdier indeed. 

Can you (or anyone else) post pictures comparing the old swivel pieces to the newer design?

Sep 23, 2014 at 7:25 AM Post #662 of 787

Perhaps the reason for the color difference is because there are two versions, the original ESW9 and the newer ESW9A. Here in the states the 9A uses padauk wood with a dark grayish plastic while the 9s I believe are mahogany with a black plastic.

The older models are some type of Japanese Cherry.

Sep 23, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #663 of 787
Here are two photo's, the first is the older version. You can see there is a difference in the design, where there is a clear separation between the plastics just underneath the screwed on plate in the first image (you can actually look through), there is none in the second image.
The actual rotating joint connection does not seem to have changed, not required either as the metal seems really sturdy.

Edit: looking at the new ones closely (not taken them apart) they actually have the same grap in place, but it's just smaller... Perhaps internals are different.

Sep 24, 2014 at 7:17 AM Post #664 of 787
  Here are two photo's, the first is the older version. You can see there is a difference in the design, where there is a clear separation between the plastics just underneath the screwed on plate in the first image (you can actually look through), there is none in the second image.
The actual rotating joint connection does not seem to have changed, not required either as the metal seems really sturdy.

Edit: looking at the new ones closely (not taken them apart) they actually have the same grap in place, but it's just smaller... Perhaps internals are different.

Thanks. That comparison is quite useful.

Sep 24, 2014 at 9:01 PM Post #665 of 787

The older models are some type of Japanese Cherry.

Ah, yes, you're right ... it was some kind of Japanese cherry wood.

Oct 1, 2014 at 12:39 PM Post #666 of 787
My goodness, the ESW9 has a really wide soundstage. The ESW9 have a highly refined frequency response and very involving sound. 

No complaints about speed which is what I might have though considering what I have read, but the mids can sound a bit smeared depending on the music mix. Good bass extension though it isn't the focus, and there is a treble sweet-spot just around where cymbals are which sounds very realistic and standout in particular. Guitar distortion sounds pretty great on these as well. 

Honestly, I wish I had found the ESW9 a long time ago.

Oct 2, 2014 at 9:34 AM Post #667 of 787
  My goodness, the ESW9 has a really wide soundstage. The ESW9 have a highly refined frequency response and very involving sound.

No complaints about speed which is what I might have though considering what I have read, but the mids can sound a bit smeared depending on the music mix. Good bass extension though it isn't the focus, and there is a treble sweet-spot just around where cymbals are which sounds very realistic and standout in particular. Guitar distortion sounds pretty great on these as well.

Honestly, I wish I had found the ESW9 a long time ago.

Welcome to the ESW9 fan club.

Oct 2, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #668 of 787

At $200 (Amazon, US), the ESW9As qualify as one of the best bargains in head-fi.

Oct 2, 2014 at 7:52 PM Post #670 of 787
  $200 is the normal price I believe, a couple of years ago it could be had for under $150 new

I believe when they were released in Japan—and not distributed in the US—the going price to import a pair was around $500. AT's US website shows a retail of $370 the last time I looked.

Supposedly there's a lot of fake versions that sell cheaply ...

Oct 4, 2014 at 8:11 AM Post #672 of 787
I believe when they were released in Japan—and not distributed in the US—the going price to import a pair was around $500. AT's US website shows a retail of $370 the last time I looked.

Supposedly there's a lot of fake versions that sell cheaply ...

I used to own a fake pair of ATH-ESW10 Japan.
They looked extremely similar to real ESW10 headphones.
But they didn't sounds as good as the ESW9 I have now!

Oct 7, 2014 at 10:49 AM Post #673 of 787
After delaying for a year, I'm sending my ESW9A off today to get recabled with Silver Dragon IEM cable...hopefully any changes are small improvements as I'm relatively happy with the sound signature as is...but a little boost in detail wouldn't hurt.

It is my opinion that silver plated cables will never sound as natural a pure OCC copper,
Yet some wire that Audio Technica uses has reportedly higher than 1 ohm impedance so it will always be a noticeable change.

How much of a step up in SQ is ESW9 over ES700?

The esw9 has a sweeter and more laid back signature over the forward es700 and the neutral esw10jpn.

I just sold my esw10jpn & esw11 and those two are both larger in sound than the esw9(!)
The esw9,is no slouch and has very satisfying bass.

The es700 is a different animal as it is like a brighter & clearer in mids baby es10
The es10 is a "V" shaped signature that is lively but the esw11 is another notch above overall.

I had and loved all those models.
They to me ate superior than anything "on ear" still..

So I kept my "Frankenstein" model that has all their attributes in one can.
It is the es700 inside an esw9 housing.

The only can that matched the esw10jpn quality but in a slightly fun "V" shaped form.

Also the Germania mod is only good for changing bass and mids and getting a tiny bit more sparkle.
It does not make the esw9 better than stock.
Also it is a HUGE LIE that a Germania mod can become closer to an esw10jpn..
Just a fallacy.
I tried, In owned, I know better.

The esw10jpn is more neutral and larger sound in its form factor and I am not talking bass but the whole sonic perspective.
Anyway the esw9 sonic strengths are its sweetness.

Did the Germania Mod a few days ago, Not as hard  as I thought and completely doable for a novice.
The changes are not as massive as some people make it out to be, the mids are brought down a bit more making them sound more neutral rather than mid forward. The bass tone has a slightly different kick to it, slightly tighter than the stock.

Good to experiment with but I can live with either stock or mod.

Also keep everything including the original yellow cotton damping material in case you want to reverse it.

Good point just don't believe the mod will do miracles like changes a slightly laid back driver(esw9) into a neutral driver(esw10jpn).

They all have that natural wooden musicality that you can't get from other competing models..

Oct 9, 2014 at 7:05 AM Post #674 of 787
It is my opinion that silver plated cables will never sound as natural a pure OCC copper,
Yet some wire that Audio Technica uses has reportedly higher than 1 ohm impedance so it will always be a noticeable change.

After I tried silver I was not impressed...went to an all copper cable and am much happier.  A noticeable dB increase, improved clarity, more forward lively sound with punchier bass. 

Oct 14, 2014 at 5:49 PM Post #675 of 787
Color me impressed by this headphone!

Especially vocals and acoustic guitar are truly captivating like I haven't heard in even the sweet HD600. It makes me curious, is there a full size headphone with an 'identical' signature which is not Audio-Technica? I really dislike their uncomfortable wing system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back