Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9 and ATH-ESW9A Thread
Mar 5, 2015 at 5:48 AM Post #707 of 787
quote name="Eddie C" url="/t/524036/audio-technica-ath-esw9-and-ath-esw9a-thread/690#post_11314260"]Saw the shiny cups of the esw9ltd while surfing headfi, and was immediately drawn to the beauty of them, got this mothers wax to see what it can do because it is very gentle on the surface and does a great job for creating shine and offering protection
[COLOR=FF4400]
[/COLOR]

Result:
[COLOR=FF4400]
[/COLOR]

Pictures dont fully bring out its shine due to poor lighting because it is nighttime at the moment haha 

Also i have done the modelling clay mod suggested by a member on this thread and i have to say it helps but fairly minimal. Have switched back to stock cable because the chris_himself silver plated cable broke (solid core is fragile :/) and i notice sound is the same, very clear but less efficient have to bump up volume. Great reversible mod !!
[/quote]

So after 20 days - how's that carnauba wax working out?

Mar 5, 2015 at 9:37 PM Post #708 of 787

I'll let you be the judge of that 
wink_face.gif

Apr 14, 2015 at 6:45 AM Post #710 of 787
I am eyeing to buy ATHESW9A as I have heard they are one of the most musical and lush headphone. How does this ESW9 compares to the W5000? I already own W5000 and not sure if I shuld purchase ESW9. I am mainly looking to get a lush war,midrange sound, on female vocal.

Apr 16, 2015 at 12:18 AM Post #711 of 787
Aren't those two drastically different in sound?

Jul 22, 2015 at 5:00 AM Post #712 of 787
I love doing DIY projects and experimenting with mods, few of them include: DIY Cable, Recabled Havis, and modding my Earsonics SM3 V1 to mmcx removable cable. The last one inspired me to do this one, which is mmcx removable cable mod on the lovely esw9. 

Step 1

Take apart the headphone

Step 2

Solder hookup wire to mmcx female connectors 

Step 3 

Install mmcx connectors onto frame and reinstall wood pieces 

Step 4

Solder wires to the drivers 

Step 5

Reassemble and enjoy!!

Jul 23, 2015 at 5:50 AM Post #713 of 787

Eddie C.,

That's an awesome mod. A couple of questions:

- Did you have to do any drilling of the outer frame or wooden housing to fit the mmcx connectors?
- Can this setup now accommodate off-the-shelf cables using mmcx male connectors, such as those designed for Shure IEMs?

Jul 23, 2015 at 6:48 AM Post #714 of 787
Eddie C.,

That's an awesome mod. A couple of questions:

- Did you have to do any drilling of the outer frame or wooden housing to fit the mmcx connectors?
- Can this setup now accommodate off-the-shelf cables using mmcx male connectors, such as those designed for Shure IEMs?

Thanks!! Im glad you enjoy the mod.
-No drilling, prior to the mod i measured the hole and the mmcx connector with a digital caliper and the hole on the frame is just slightly larger. I heatshrinked the mmcx connectors which are clamped by the wooden plates so no glue required and wont scratch up the wood.
-Definitely!! I just used them today with the black ue900 cable, works perfectly

Jul 23, 2015 at 2:10 PM Post #715 of 787
Thanks!! Im glad you enjoy the mod.
-No drilling, prior to the mod i measured the hole and the mmcx connector with a digital caliper and the hole on the frame is just slightly larger. I heatshrinked the mmcx connectors which are clamped by the wooden plates so no glue required and wont scratch up the wood.
-Definitely!! I just used them today with the black ue900 cable, works perfectly

Great. I'm thinking I'll do this mod on one of my ESW9's when I get some free time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back