Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9 and ATH-ESW9A Thread
Nov 13, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #511 of 787
These are actually $209 on amazon.com
I hope it stays like that for another week until my paycheque T^T

But yeah, it's good to hear they're actually comfortable, I've really been thinking hard about my purchase. I want wooden earcups, but then I want noise isolation for studio use... But then again I don't go to the studio very often as much as I walk outside. Decisions, decisions...

Nov 14, 2013 at 1:26 AM Post #512 of 787
They frequently drop down to that price.  Usually from Beach Camera, Buydigg, or Adorama Camera.  I bought them at that price a few years ago when I first tried them out.

Nov 17, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #516 of 787
  can sum1 here post a link for a detailed picture comparison of fake vs genuine esw9 and esw9a?
thinking about purchasing a pair soon.

Instantaneous google results: click
There's photos from head-fi and other parts of the web.

Improve your Google-fu.  XD

Nov 20, 2013 at 6:54 PM Post #519 of 787
  i have the option for these wonderful cans for 150, but am conflicted as to buying them or saving up for a pair of hd650. any opinions?

I would definitely try them for 150$.

The question is, do you need a portable closed phone or huge open one? If you intend to use them only in a very quiet environment, go for HD600 at 310$ http://www.accessoryjack.com/sennheiser-hd600-open-dynamic-hifi-professional-headphones.html
or HE-400 at 300$ http://www.head-fi.org/t/678077/the-deals-thread-iii-read-the-first-post/1515#post_9995177

Large open headphones are usually superior to small closed ones.

Nov 23, 2013 at 11:08 AM Post #520 of 787
  i have the option for these wonderful cans for 150, but am conflicted as to buying them or saving up for a pair of hd650. any opinions?

As an owner of both, (and I did enjoy the ESW9) I'd say there's no comparison. The HD 650 is much more comfortable and the mids make the ESW9 sound muddy by comparison.

I'm not knocking the ESW9 at all, but you are kind of comparing apples to oranges here. If you can get a genuine ESW9 for 150 I'd say it's a great deal, but I always reach for the HD 650 over the ESW9, which is why I ultimately sold them.

Not trying to steer you one way or the other they are both great, I just greatly prefer the HD 650. I guess it boils down to funds and priorities!

Edit: I will say the ESW9 beats the HD 650 in looks for sure... ATH-ESW9 is one sexy looking headphone!

Nov 23, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #522 of 787
I removed the black felt that covers the driver and I think it improved the sound. It's a little brighter and more airy sounding with a bigger soundstage. More of the audio-technica house sound. :)

Nov 24, 2013 at 11:27 AM Post #523 of 787
  As an owner of both, (and I did enjoy the ESW9) I'd say there's no comparison. The HD 650 is much more comfortable and the mids make the ESW9 sound muddy by comparison.

I removed the black felt that covers the driver and I think it improved the sound. It's a little brighter and more airy sounding with a bigger soundstage. More of the audio-technica house sound.
smily_headphones1.gif

Removing the black felt is a definite improvement in sound for the ESW9, as is recabling, particularly with silver plated copper wire.

I've got two pairs of the ESW9. For a while, I had one with the stock cable and one recabled, just so cable doubters could hear the obvious difference the cable made. The treble really comes alive, without sounding harsh.

Nov 27, 2013 at 8:05 PM Post #524 of 787
Can you suggest cable seller or brand?

Dec 5, 2013 at 6:46 PM Post #525 of 787
Folks, I just wanted to say that this headphone is starting to turn into one of my favourite headphones.
While it may not be the most transparent headphone, it just has this beautiful musicality about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back