Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9 and ATH-ESW9A Thread
Dec 5, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #526 of 787
I would recommend Moon Audio or BTG. Drew at Moon did my DT 1350s with blue dragons and it came fantastic. Really opened the sound stage and extended the bass. I don't care about the haters of quality cables, they are worth it. Heard many good things about BTG as well, tends be be cheaper but very good workmanship.

Dec 5, 2013 at 8:07 PM Post #527 of 787
Folks, I just wanted to say that this headphone is starting to turn into one of my favourite headphones.
While it may not be the most transparent headphone, it just has this beautiful musicality about it.
that's because Audio Technica was always in another league,
While most companies strove and stumbled on transparency and took a blind stab at a sonic signature...
Audio technica simply designed "musicality" ..
:)

Dec 5, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #528 of 787
Actually audio technica offers one of the most transparent iems in the market the ck100pro which is a detail monster. They have a gear for almost anyone.

Dec 6, 2013 at 6:41 AM Post #529 of 787
While most companies strove and stumbled on transparency and took a blind stab at a sonic signature...
smily_headphones1.gif

+true

Dec 6, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #530 of 787
Bought a Schiit Vali not even thinking I would listen to the ATH-ESWNa on it.  I gotta tell you though, I am pretty impressed by how they sound hooked into it.  Really great (not boomy) bass thump and the mid-range we all love on these things seems even more syrupy good.  For reasons that make no sense to me --- they sound a bit faster to me than normal as well.  Better able to keep up and separate on fast music.

Dec 6, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #531 of 787
smily_headphones1.gif

+2

Dec 7, 2013 at 12:55 AM Post #532 of 787
First off, I must say thanks to everyone in this thread as I own a pair of ESW9a's because of it. I purchased this as I initially wanted a portable and work headphone but it ended up way too nice to take outside, especially in the winter.

Quote:
  Bought a Schiit Vali not even thinking I would listen to the ATH-ESWNa on it.  I gotta tell you though, I am pretty impressed by how they sound hooked into it.  Really great (not boomy) bass thump and the mid-range we all love on these things seems even more syrupy good.  For reasons that make no sense to me --- they sound a bit faster to me than normal as well.  Better able to keep up and separate on fast music.

I have a Schiit Lyr and I hooked up my ESW9a's to them and I could barely touch the volume without it hitting crazy levels but for that tiny little bit I could turn it, it definitely had great bass thump but admittedly I am a loud listener so as I turned the volume I was worried about damaging the the drivers.

I did a search and has no one has hooked these up to a vintage receiver? Most vintage receivers share the same headphone amp section as the speaker amp where modern receivers generally use an op amp to drive the headphone output. Because of the large amount of power from the headphone out I purchased a vintage 1978 Pioneer SX-680 to drive my HE-4's but of course I had to try the ESW9a's.

The HE-4's paired with the SX-680 have extremely low clean hard hitting bass. These headphones are very well regarded in that area and one of its strengths. I plugged in the ESW9a's and wow, there is definitely more impact. This can be contributed to the closed design but I also believe due to the huge amount of power going through them. While the ESW9a's don't have the same attack, control or extension as the HE-4's bass the ESW9a's are no slouch. I wouldn't be surprised if they would be considered a basshead can. It actually reminded me of a Sennheiser IE8 with the bass port turned up a bit but cleaner and a full size version.

I don't want to ramble on more but thanks everyone,
ab111

Dec 8, 2013 at 8:59 AM Post #533 of 787

I did a search and has no one has hooked these up to a vintage receiver? Most vintage receivers share the same headphone amp section as the speaker amp where modern receivers generally use an op amp to drive the headphone output.

I've used my ESW9 (as well as many other cans) with a vintage Marantz 2225 receiver that I have in my bedroom. I've always been impressed by the quality of the headphone output in that Marantz. According to the schematic in the Marantz's service manual, the headphone output is indeed driven by the main amp section, just with some step down resistors in the path.

Dec 12, 2013 at 7:03 AM Post #534 of 787
I would recommend Moon Audio or BTG. Drew at Moon did my DT 1350s with blue dragons and it came fantastic. Really opened the sound stage and extended the bass. I don't care about the haters of quality cables, they are worth it. Heard many good things about BTG as well, tends be be cheaper but very good workmanship.

Cable haters are just closed minded.

Dec 12, 2013 at 10:57 AM Post #535 of 787
Picture a less laid back esw9 about 5x the soundstage, clarity and impact with a more balanced sig and you have an esw11...
Still have my esw9 tho..

Jan 5, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #536 of 787
Does anyone happen to have a spare esw9 driver, or can get ahold of one to sell to me ? Recently damaged the left driver on mine, and the parts distributor in Canada wants $65.50 for a driver, and I've seen people reporting it only cost them $40 for a replacement pair + shipping

Jan 7, 2014 at 9:53 PM Post #537 of 787
  Does anyone happen to have a spare esw9 driver, or can get ahold of one to sell to me ? Recently damaged the left driver on mine, and the parts distributor in Canada wants $65.50 for a driver, and I've seen people reporting it only cost them $40 for a replacement pair + shipping

You can try and email Dave at the US distribution center. I've dealt with him a few times and it wouldn't hurt to ask if he'd ship to Canada. He only has ESW9a drivers, but they are the exact same. His email is dwebb@atus.com.

Jan 13, 2014 at 1:24 PM Post #540 of 787
That's correct. Check the wiring first.
If all fails send me a PM I have extra set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back