Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9 and ATH-ESW9A Thread
May 25, 2013 at 9:13 AM Post #331 of 787
I am planning to not only do the "Germania mod" but also once I open them up,
I plan to take the wood cups and spray them with polyurethane to coat the wood and simulate the finish of the esw10..!!
:)

May 25, 2013 at 10:52 AM Post #332 of 787
Maxx,
What headphone amp do you normally use with the ESW9?
thx!

May 25, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #333 of 787
I have the O2 amp and an fiio e11 and also a HUD-mx2 dac/amp.

Since the esw9 are so efficient I haven't felt need to carry around an amp,
Especially since my phone is rooted and I have boosted its output.
But I am also eyeing the Leckerton UHA-6S Mk.II 

May 25, 2013 at 3:22 PM Post #334 of 787
I have the O2 amp and an fiio e11 and also a HUD-mx2 dac/amp.

Since the esw9 are so efficient I haven't felt need to carry around an amp,
Especially since my phone is rooted and I have boosted its output.
But I am also eyeing the Leckerton UHA-6S Mk.II 

Your phone is rooted?
How can you boost it's output without using an external amp.

May 25, 2013 at 10:31 PM Post #335 of 787
Do you guys really enjoy listening to the esw9 with an amp?  I'm asking because I like them without an amp, for some reason I think they sound more resolved and cleaner without an amp.  Then again, maybe it's my laptop that is doing a good enough job?  I feel the same way with my M50 back then when I still listen to them.  That's one aspect I do appreciate about them, I just wish they had velour pad though as I'm started to really considering moving away from all leather and pleather.  With some of my other headphone, I find it necessary to amp them like the D2000 and the A900X, you can listen to them without but better with. 

Maxx134,

I do understand your comment that you can check the esw9 driver color, but I'm sure there are a lot of people who just doesn't open up there headphone or remove anything to check.

May 26, 2013 at 8:28 AM Post #336 of 787
Do you guys really enjoy listening to the esw9 with an amp?  I'm asking because I like them without an amp, for some reason I think they sound more resolved and cleaner without an amp.  Then again, maybe it's my laptop that is doing a good enough job?  I feel the same way with my M50 back then when I still listen to them.  That's one aspect I do appreciate about them, I just wish they had velour pad though as I'm started to really considering moving away from all leather and pleather.  With some of my other headphone, I find it necessary to amp them like the D2000 and the A900X, you can listen to them without but better with. 

Maxx134,

I do understand your comment that you can check the esw9 driver color, but I'm sure there are a lot of people who just doesn't open up there headphone or remove anything to check.

I opened up my ESW10 and found out I had fakes!
There are other ways to see if you have fakes other than checking the drivers:
for example: how shiny is the metal in the headband?
does the black plastic have a very subtle gold sparkle?
is the top of the headband brown leather?

May 26, 2013 at 8:41 AM Post #337 of 787
Quote:
I opened up my ESW10 and found out I had fakes!
There are other ways to see if you have fakes other than checking the drivers:
for example: how shiny is the metal in the headband?
does the black plastic have a very subtle gold sparkle?
is the top of the headband brown leather?

OHHH a fake ESW10 is a bad thing...aren't they meant to be limited editions unlike the ESW9?
May I ask from where did you purchase them from?

May 26, 2013 at 3:17 PM Post #338 of 787
@ "soundeffect" :
Yes you are correct if the cans sound great sometimes amping can just give more noise if gain settings are not optimal.
But like most cans these should "scale" up when amped.
Since the esw9 already sound large I would expect more control but I haven't even bothered as it is so good un amped.
Less in the "audio chain" the better.

May 26, 2013 at 6:42 PM Post #339 of 787
Exactly, I've compare them to my a900x and I love the fact I can grab them and just listen while still getting as good of a sound that is why I got rid of the a900x just recently. Just don't have a reason to keep them.

May 26, 2013 at 8:27 PM Post #340 of 787
Quote:
OHHH a fake ESW10 is a bad thing...aren't they meant to be limited editions unlike the ESW9?
May I ask from where did you purchase them from?

Yes, they are supposed to be limited editions.

I bought them from a private collector, he wanted to sell a pair of his headphones from his massive collection, it appears that he did not know they were fakes!

May 26, 2013 at 10:28 PM Post #341 of 787
This is exactly what I was talking about. I sometime wonder if some of the people who don't like the esw9 is because of fakes and sold fakes through here without knowing.

May 26, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #342 of 787
Quote:
This is exactly what I was talking about. I sometime wonder if some of the people who don't like the esw9 is because of fakes and sold fakes through here without knowing.

That is most likely the case, I would believe. Very sad actually the fakes ruin a really good headphone
I am getting my friend to buy the ESW9 directly from a large retail store in Tokyo. I should be getting them 12th of June.

May 27, 2013 at 7:00 AM Post #343 of 787

I must admit to being disappointed with the sound of my fakes before I knew they were fakes!

I thought they sounded worse than a pair of ESW9 I had heard a few months previously, but managed to rationalize it in my mind with a few lame excuses!

May 28, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #344 of 787
To me I feel the more recent production of esw9 has a more focused deeper mids than the old set I had wich to me were more distant.

I attribute slight differences to possible general refinement/modernization in production over the years that all companies undergo, and differences I stated last page as the driver now has a black foam over it.
Overall signature remains same to me just better :)

May 28, 2013 at 3:55 PM Post #345 of 787
When I bought the more recent one, I thought it had more bass emphasis then the first pair I bought. I have no idea, may just be my memory of the first pair not so clear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back