Audio-Technica ATH-AD2000 Discussion (and Appreciation) Thread!
Mar 14, 2016 at 1:38 PM Post #796 of 873
First of all, my other cans are the LCD3f & HD800. I've also recently owned T1 Gen 2 and the LCD2f. I spend most of my time with the LCD3f these days but do shift back to the HD800 every now and then. I am used to a much thicker (those Audeze pads!) & heavier set of cans. I'll not go into sound yet since I don't have enough time with the AD2000. I will say though that the WA22 is obviously complete overkill for these. I run them just fine from my iPhone 6s & Mojo.

What I can say is that unless I change the stock pads on the 2000, I'll not be keeping these. They just don't sit on my bald head at all. They won't necessarily slip and are generally comfortable but I am always having to pay attention and realize that I have headphones on my head that can fall or slip down with any movement. I really don't know what they were thinking with that suspension mechanism.
[/quote]

I don't think I would ever call using an actual "Audio Component" with any headphone, other than the most basic inexpensive (under $50 or so), "Overkill". I have no interest whatsoever in portable music listening.; life's too short to trivialize my music listening time. I'm not that locked into the hierarchy of using only."like" value equipment with other "like" value equipment when it comes to headphone or loudspeakers, simply because they're only transducers.

That being said , I've decided to go in another direction as far as my choosing another pair of headphones go. You are absolutely right about the Audeze pads though (& I'm fairly set on purchasing a set of the Vegan pads
for the "cans" I've turned my attention towards)

I hope the comfort issues work out for you. Though I think you'll be okay with just staying with your other in house cans.

Mar 18, 2016 at 1:36 AM Post #797 of 873
Im getting a pair next week...read pretty much the whole thread.

Question: Can anyone recommend an inexpensive(sub 300.00) desktop amp that would work well with both AD2000 and Grado 325e?

Mar 23, 2016 at 4:11 AM Post #799 of 873
Question: Can anyone recommend an inexpensive(sub 300.00) desktop amp that would work well with both AD2000 and Grado 325e?

The only two amps I'd recommend are out of production, if you don't mind getting something used off the FS forums: either the HeadAmp Gilmore Lite, or a DIY-built M3.

I haven't heard any of the currently-popular in-production solid-state amps on the market so I can't comment on them, except for the Garage1217 Project Polaris which I have heard, but I wouldn't recommend it for the AD2K (the review linked in my profile mentions why). I have no experience with the current line of Schiit amps (Magni 2 and Asgard 2) but can't imagine they'd be terrible, either of them might be worth trying. And there are certainly fans of the O2 (aka Objective2) but I don't know anything about that amp personally.

How's this with the Bottlehead Crack + speedball?

The AD2K won't play nice with the vast majority of OTL amps, you need an amp with an ultra-low output impedance for it (ideally a fraction way below 1 Ohm). I tried mine out of the Schiit Valhalla 2's low gain when I had that amp and it just wasn't good. The only OTL amp I've heard that the AD2K sounded good on was the Eddie Current Zana Deux, but that's the only exception to the rule I've ever heard.

Mar 23, 2016 at 3:28 PM Post #800 of 873
The AD2000s are starting to grow on me.

I can understand why Asr likes them for trance and metal...they smoke my Alessandro Ms2e for metal,even though they have much more bass,the Ad2000s have tighter bass and are MUCH faster.

They still sound a bit hollow on some tracks,but overall as I said im liking them more each day.

Mar 30, 2016 at 3:29 PM Post #801 of 873
I tried AD2000 two weeks last year at home with one quality dac from his hp output and I lacked something against LCD2 and HE500. Hollow is actually very good description. It could be interesting out of the quality separate amp but mine dac had low output impedance.. 

Apr 3, 2016 at 5:57 PM Post #802 of 873

Last edited:
May 12, 2016 at 4:05 PM Post #803 of 873
WOW!

Just picked up a new pair that someone found hiding in their collection and I am completely blown away, I've never heard anything so involving and fun plus harmonies are absolutely GEORGOUS.

Now I'm just worried that no one has replicated the sound of these.... hopefully mine will last a good long while but I'm stunned that after all this time there isn't really much mention of a similar phone to these...

Anyway, thank you guys so much for this enduring thread, without which I never would have found this bliss.

Jan 12, 2017 at 12:44 AM Post #805 of 873
Decided to give some love to my AD2000's today after spending a bunch of time with my Planar collection. Love it, love it, LOVE IT! I also removed the cable and installed two 2.5mm jacks so that I would reduce the "tug" on the headphones due to the weight of the cable. Next up, some ZMF Ori pads... hopefully they'll work well with the AD2000's.

Feb 6, 2018 at 2:48 AM Post #807 of 873
I can add that the Audio GD R2R-11 is an excellent amp/DAC for the AD2000s.

Feb 16, 2018 at 9:27 PM Post #809 of 873

Users who are viewing this thread

Back