Audio Technica ATH-A900X Discussion Thread (Formerly A-900X Review)
Nov 5, 2012 at 8:32 PM Post #152 of 539
Quote:
Is this can in any way portable, as in I could go out an about with them and not have it be combersome and look like a total dork?

Trust your instincts here. The A900X sounds great, but hardly portable. Too bulky to stuff in a backpack. And probably would come across as a dork. Sorry. 

Nov 9, 2012 at 6:37 PM Post #155 of 539
How does the sound signature of these compare with the K 701 / K 702?

I love how these look. I keep buying closed-back headphones for recording but none of them are as enjoyable to listen to as the AKGs.

Nov 9, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #156 of 539
I don't know if this has been discussed before, but how are these things compared to the Brainwavz HM5/FA-003 ?

Put it this way, I bought a pair of the Brainwavz HM5 headphones, but sold them off the next day. They were not too impressive when it came to sound quality. But, you really can't compare a $100 pair of headphones to a $300 pair of headphones. The Audio Technica headphones just do things "right" without flabby bass, nor shrill highs. I can listen to them all night long without any issue. They are a well-made pair of headphones with a nice, cloth-covered cable and very comfortable ear pads. The HM5, also has quite comfortable ear pads, so I'll give it credit in that department. But, I bought the pads separately from MP4Nation to use for a mod on my Fostex headphones. In my opinion, a modified pair of Fostex headphones (in the range of $100, or so) are essentially the only $100 headphones that will get within the range of the Audio Technica A900x, and possibly exceed it in some areas.

How does the sound signature of these compare with the K 701 / K 702?

I love how these look. I keep buying closed-back headphones for recording but none of them are as enjoyable to listen to as the AKGs.

I've only heard the AKG K701 once at a meet. I though the detail of the AKG was quite good. It was a bit lacking in the bass department, though. in this case, the Audio Technica will perform better and I'd classify the treble as a bit more neutral than what the AKG K701 offers. I have not heard the K702 model, so I can't provide any comments with regards to those headphones.

But, one thing that we all need to keep in mind. Perception. Since we all perceive sound differently, it's hard through comments and writing to describe a proper comparison between two pair of headphones. What I hear as different between the two, may not be the same as person "B" hears between the two. The best we can do is offer some impressions here in the forum to give the reader a very general idea of what features and sound are offered. From there, it is up to the buyer to make a decision as to move ahead with a purchase. In that case, we all hope that the user finds that our impressions were somewhat accurate, rather than not so accurate. However, I've purchased more than a few headphones that were based off of impressions here and my hearing didn't quite find what others may have found pleasing, so I've ended up selling or returning the item.

Best of luck!

Nov 9, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #157 of 539
What headphones would you say these are most similar to?

Any similarities to the DJ100, ATH-AD2000 or M50?

Are they bassier than the M50? Hope not. I do love any headphone that perfect for Jpop (mostly female vocals).

I don't want anything too bass heavy. I actually HATE huge mid-bass humps.

Does that graph on Goldenears match up with with what you hear?

How would you describe them in one sentence?

Slightly bass emphasized, forward mids and maybe smooth treble? Does it have mostly forward lower mids or upper? Or Neither?

I seriously can't get an idea about how these sound other than people saying they're great for Asian pop music.

BTW I generally find closed headphones better for vocals. Not sure why..

Nov 10, 2012 at 3:06 PM Post #158 of 539
Imagine Shure SRH940s (or your beloved KRK 8400s), now add more bass presence. Done! This would have been the perfect "step up" headphones if you were a fan of the 940s but needed more bass quantity. The earpads is the one thing that didn't do it for me. Vocals on these ATs are rendered extremely well. Also, don't go on believing that these guys bring basshead level bass. Nah-uh! It brings just about the correct quantity to make music sound "full" and smooth.

That's my take on them.
Don't have them anymore, but that's how I remember them.

Again, the only thing I hated, cheapo earpad feeling and comfort...
Maybe PM MalVeaux.
I think he was going to review these, not sure if he did.

Nov 10, 2012 at 10:37 PM Post #159 of 539
Quote:
What headphones would you say these are most similar to?

Any similarities to the DJ100, ATH-AD2000 or M50?

Are they bassier than the M50? Hope not. I do love any headphone that perfect for Jpop (mostly female vocals).

I don't want anything too bass heavy. I actually HATE huge mid-bass humps.

Does that graph on Goldenears match up with with what you hear?

How would you describe them in one sentence?

Slightly bass emphasized, forward mids and maybe smooth treble? Does it have mostly forward lower mids or upper? Or Neither?

I seriously can't get an idea about how these sound other than people saying they're great for Asian pop music.

BTW I generally find closed headphones better for vocals. Not sure why..

I have not heard the AD2000, nor the M50.  The AD2000 is a headphone that sells near $500 as a used headphone here on the forum.  I would love to listen to it some day, but won't buy one at the provided amount as I have a desire to collect a mix of headphones - some open, and some with closed cups.  The M50, I have not heard either.  I do realize that the Guitar Center does sell the headphones in their store and I frequently get their coupons, but I haven't tried, or purchased a pair, yet.  Maybe, next time they offer $20 off a $100 purchase, I'll bite and buy a pair of M50s.  Until then ... I'll hold tight.

Now, in regards to the DJ100s, I still dearly love the Audio Technica A900x headphones.  I did hop on the "Tony Bennett" version at Tuesday Morning about a month ago.  However, after about 3 weeks of having them, I couldn't find enough within them that would allow me to justify keeping them.  I do realize many people think highly of the DJ100 headphones.  There appears to be some good information in the threads here on the forum.  However, for many of the reviews that I've read outside of this forum, they do appear to be a bit "bass shy" from what many reviewers have stated.  In that regard, I was able to conclude that it wasn't just me who was not fully satisfied with the sound, and based on the reviews, that appears to be the signature of sound they provide.  But, keeping in mind, the DJ100, or the Tony Bennett "Special Edition" may very well be a lovely headphone, depending on the music one listens to.  They just didn't pair well with my particular music interests.

Nov 21, 2012 at 9:52 AM Post #161 of 539
New A900X owner here and first AT headphone.  I've previously owned Grado SR-225, AKG K701, Audeze LCD-2, Beyer T1, and Hifiman HE-6, some mid tier DACs and entry amps but had to sell my setup for financial reasons and just starting to build back slowly.  I've always wanted to try Audio Technica based on descriptions I've read of them so I thought the A900X would be good entry point.

I have to say that I'm not disappointed at all.  Everything people have said about the vocals is true.  I enjoy some tracks vocals and midrange musicality more than my previous "flagship" headphones, and this is with no external DAC or amp.  All in all I'm pretty excited.  I think the AT sound may just be what I have been looking for.  Might have to look into a used W3000ANV when I can afford it again.  Almost got that as my last one but bought the HE-6 instead.

The only minor criticisms I have of it so far is that it seems to lack a little bass impact for a closed headphone, though I suspect a amp/DAC would help alot.  The combination of somewhat stiff pads and "wing" system mean I often have to adjust it to get a proper seal, much like an IEM.  Even then the fit just seems strange from what I'm used to.  Also they seem a bit less efficient that I would have expected given all the talk of how efficient AT headphones are.  Could definitely benefit from at least a small FIIO amp or other portable amp.

Also curious of the new AD2000X as my next headphone but i'm concerned about how the bass will be given the I find the A900x somewhat bass-light as a closed headphone.

Nov 21, 2012 at 10:02 AM Post #162 of 539
JW,
Congrads on the new cans,& welcome back.
Look,I have this:
http://www.head-fi.org/products/electric-avenues-pa2v2...sitting around my apartment-I can mail it down to you,its not a bad little amp

After ,you decide would you'd like for a permanent setup-these could tide you over ?

PM-me_OK?

Mike

Nov 21, 2012 at 10:57 AM Post #163 of 539
I actually have to amend my comments about being bass-light.  I tried the A900X on my old laptop instead of Desktop and for some reason the output on the laptop is way higher gain than my desktop and I no longer find the A900X to be bass light.  It must be that Fletcher-Munson Curve effect that fooled me.  The thing where perceived frequency response take more of a U-curve as volume increases

Users who are viewing this thread

Back