Audio Technica ATH-A900X Discussion Thread (Formerly A-900X Review)
Sep 10, 2012 at 5:11 PM Post #136 of 539
Quote:
After a couple months the stock ear pads on my 900x have not softened up - has anybody had found that they end up breaking in?  

There are some great products that work well on leather - I do believe the 900x are made from real leather, while the predecessor (900) had pleather ear pads.  We have some leather furniture in our home.  We purched some excellent leather conditioner from an equestrian shore in my area.  Normally, people buy the conditioner to preserve their saddles harness, etc. that are made out of leather.  In our case, the conditioner really worked to bring out the softness in the leather since the leather had dried a bit and became a bit stiff.  The conditioner was the consistency of a motor oil and of an amber color.  Basically, the leather was treated and allowed to sit for a few hours while the conditioner naturally worked its magic on the leather.  We then went back and polished up the leather with towels and removed any excess conditioner, so it would not get on our clothes.

Prior to buying the equestrian stuff, I've used conditioners for my auto seats from Lexol since I had leather in a car.  Lexol makes both a cleaner and a separate conditioner.  You can find Lexol at most automotive parts stores for about $10 - $12 in the U.S.  Finally, I did stumble across a "natural / home made" leather cleaner and conditioner.  Basically, you combined one part of white distilled vinegar to one part of olive oil.  Combine the ingredients as best that you can, then use a cloth to wipe and clean the leather surfaces.  The vinegar provides the cleaning power for the leather and the olive oil offers the protection for the leather.  Kind of odd, but if you search for it, you might find the recipe.  For the ear pads, I'd probably combine one part vinegar and 2 parts of olive oil, since you're mainly looking to condition the pads to make them a bit softer and not really looking to clean them at this time.

Sep 10, 2012 at 9:37 PM Post #137 of 539
Quote:

There are some great products that work well on leather - I do believe the 900x are made from real leather, while the predecessor (900) had pleather ear pads.  We have some leather furniture in our home.  We purched some excellent leather conditioner from an equestrian shore in my area.  Normally, people buy the conditioner to preserve their saddles harness, etc. that are made out of leather.  In our case, the conditioner really worked to bring out the softness in the leather since the leather had dried a bit and became a bit stiff.  

Might Rawlings glove oil work, too? It's like $3 or less at Walmart and sporting goods stores for a small bottle, plenty to treat leather headphone pads dozens of times. 

Sep 11, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #138 of 539
Quote:
After a couple months the stock ear pads on my 900x have not softened up - has anybody had found that they end up breaking in?  

Mine feel pretty nice after 3 months of ~4 hours a day usage.

Sep 13, 2012 at 2:14 AM Post #140 of 539
Quote:

Might Rawlings glove oil work, too? It's like $3 or less at Walmart and sporting goods stores for a small bottle, plenty to treat leather headphone pads dozens of times. 

Yes, that seems like another great suggestion and would be more available to many other members because of Walmart being everywhere.  The price is quite good, too and one doesn't need to have a half gallon of leather conditioner sitting around for just one pair of ear pads.

Sep 24, 2012 at 12:39 AM Post #141 of 539
New A900X owner here. The plan was to try them @ BB, but they matched newegg, so I was out the door for $245. IMO, these are worth quite a bit more. I enjoy them more than:

KRK KNS-8400
DT770 Pro 250 Ohm
DT880 Pro 250 Ohm
HD580
DT880 Premium 600 Ohm
Q701
Grado 325i
A900X

They're VERY comfy, a little warm, but that's to be expected w/ supraural headphones (they sit lightly on my upper ears). The vocals have less sibilance than all of them (can't quite recall the Grados). The lower end has enough for any genre, the soundstage is fantastic for a closed phone, and even the highs aren't too bad. I've had them on/off for about 5 hours now and they seem to be evening out nicely.

For $225 online, I don't think much can contest these right now. Although, I have not heard AKG K550's or Shure's SRH-940.

The pads do seem to be getting less stiff and have more give than when I originally put them on. What gets me about this headphone is that it's more FUN than the 880 600's. I also hated how the 880's would touch my ears on the inside...that and they were a touch too bright...at least not burned in.

Anyway, great review, I agree 100%. Thanks!!

Sep 26, 2012 at 3:23 AM Post #142 of 539
Anyone else having the issue of the top part of their ear getting pinched/squeezed? It's something I'm going to have to get used to, but just wanted to see if anyone has a "fix" for it.

Oct 1, 2012 at 8:24 PM Post #143 of 539
I don't notice pinching.  The headphones do, however, press firmly on my ears.  After a few hours it does cause mild discomfort.  I'm surprised you like them more than the DT880's though!

Oct 14, 2012 at 10:01 PM Post #144 of 539
It might be worth noting that as of now, amazon.com (US only) has the A900X's for around $220.  I remember them being at least $30 more expensive in the past few months.  Unfortunately for us Canadian folks, it hasn't gone below $270 yet.  =(

Oct 14, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #145 of 539
Quote:
Anyone else having the issue of the top part of their ear getting pinched/squeezed? It's something I'm going to have to get used to, but just wanted to see if anyone has a "fix" for it.

If you can, purchase a small roll of weatherstripping.  I'd suggest a 3/8 to 1/2" wide by 1/4" thick roll.  Using a piece about the size of the inside diameter of the leather ear pads, slowly work the weatherstripping under the ear pad and on top of the baffle.  There is enough room when you look into the ear side of the driver / ear pad opening to see the slight "cave" that exists inside the pads.  That is where you'd insert the weatherstripping.  For me, it made a very significant improvement in comfort. Plus, the modification can be removed in two minutes if you don't like it.

Oct 21, 2012 at 7:43 PM Post #148 of 539
I find the leakage bad if they're not being worn--otherwise they don't seem to leak much sound at all.  

Also, I recently had a chance to compare them directly to the Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro's!

They sound very similar--the DT990's however, does feel a bit more punchy in the bass.  The instruments also feel more distinct on the Beyers, where as they blend a bit better on the A900X's.  Hope I can continue to keep readers informed about these cans!

Nov 4, 2012 at 4:37 PM Post #150 of 539
Quote:
Does anyone have any experience with the A500x?

Also, how are the A900x straight out of an ipod?

A900x out of an ipod: The volume is adequate. Sound quality is OK but not spectaculair. For me it's a bit bright and harsh (but then again I am used to my DAC/AMP set-up) I prefer my Sennheiser IE7 IEM's over the A900x straight out of an ipod.

Hope that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back