Audio Technica ATH-A900X Discussion Thread (Formerly A-900X Review)
Sep 8, 2012 at 4:25 AM Post #121 of 539
Quote:

Brand new, the 900X are 17,108 JPY and the 700X are 13,124 JPY (227 USD and 168 USD, respectively). They used to be about 2000 JPY (26 USD) cheaper, before the price increase.

If anyone in the U.S. is considering the 900X, Best Buy (Magnolia) has them on sale this week (thru 9/8/2012) for $75.00 off.  This takes the price down to $224.  Toss in tax and you're price is still about in the same league as Amazon - depending on the amount of your sales tax.

Edit: Posted revision on discount for price.

Sep 8, 2012 at 10:00 AM Post #123 of 539
Quote:
I've been trying to find information on how the A900X compares to the W1000X. Are there any thoughts here?

I'm answered above that was find information about A1000X and A2000X. And has known that these headphone another ones. They have a more thinner sound with a "metallic" highs.
Is upgrade of A900X may be W3000ANV I think.

Sep 8, 2012 at 1:41 PM Post #124 of 539
Thanks to your great review, Mysteek, I decided to try the A900Xs. I was looking for an upgrade from my MDR-V6s. So far, I like what I'm hearing 
smile.gif

I do have one concern. Has anyone owned wing top AT headphones for an extended period of time and used them for hundreds of hours? These seem to fit my pretty well now, but I'm worried about what happens if any of the tension gets lost in the wings over time from use. I've tried A700s before, and from what I remember, the wings on the A900Xs seem flimsier. Seems a lot to pay for a pair of headphones that might not be usable because of a design flaw (and no, I don't think the rubber band hack is a reasonable solution for the cost of these headphones). 

Sep 8, 2012 at 1:49 PM Post #125 of 539
Quote:
Thanks to your great review, Mysteek, I decided to try the A900Xs. I was looking for an upgrade from my MDR-V6s. So far, I like what I'm hearing 
smile.gif

I do have one concern. Has anyone owned wing top AT headphones for an extended period of time and used them for hundreds of hours? These seem to fit my pretty well now, but I'm worried about what happens if any of the tension gets lost in the wings over time from use. I've tried A700s before, and from what I remember, the wings on the A900Xs seem flimsier. Seems a lot to pay for a pair of headphones that might not be usable because of a design flaw (and no, I don't think the rubber band hack is a reasonable solution for the cost of these headphones). 

Actually, I've also felt that the "wings" could be a bit more supportive.  In the headband structure where the wings are mounted, one just has to take 3 small screws out.  They, they have access to take the wings out.  From there, one can see a chrome pin the holds two parts to the wings together and acts as the swivel point.  The pin is not glued in place and can be poked out using a small screwdriver.  One then has access to the springs that provide the tension on the wings.  The springs are only about 3/4" long and are of a heavier gauge metal.  One can actually, use two pair of pliers and slightly extend the length of the spring, and then reassemble the components in reverse order.  This will provide for a much better spring tension, or after a few pair of years, once could perform the adjustment to bring the tension of the rings back into spec.  It is truly an easy process.  Just take your time, note where the components all go as you take them apart and work on a clean surface, so you don't lose any parts.

Sep 8, 2012 at 2:52 PM Post #126 of 539
Quote:

Actually, I've also felt that the "wings" could be a bit more supportive.  In the headband structure where the wings are mounted, one just has to take 3 small screws out.  They, they have access to take the wings out.  From there, one can see a chrome pin the holds two parts to the wings together and acts as the swivel point.  The pin is not glued in place and can be poked out using a small screwdriver.  One then has access to the springs that provide the tension on the wings.  The springs are only about 3/4" long and are of a heavier gauge metal.  One can actually, use two pair of pliers and slightly extend the length of the spring, and then reassemble the components in reverse order.  This will provide for a much better spring tension, or after a few pair of years, once could perform the adjustment to bring the tension of the rings back into spec.  It is truly an easy process.  Just take your time, note where the components all go as you take them apart and work on a clean surface, so you don't lose any parts.

Thanks!

Yeah, I feel like the plastic could be a little stiffer in the wing arms; there's some flex there. I was surprised by how much. However, if the spring can be adjusted like that, then I won't worry about it. 

Sep 8, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #129 of 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite 

The pads from the AD700 will fit both models. They are available at $7.16/pair plus postage.

If I could ask, where can one locate the pads for this price?  That price is excellent as I was searching and saw them in the $30 - $39 a pair range.  Thanks.

Sep 9, 2012 at 8:31 PM Post #131 of 539
Quote:
I'm headed to Japan in December so can you tell me which city and the name of the store?

I was in Tokyo in the Shinjuku district. I went to 2 stores with a large amount of headphones, although only a few of them are available to listen to. The rest of them you can just wear and get a good idea of comfort and isolation.

The two stores were Yodabashi Camera right at the Shinjuku Station area and a store somewhere in Akihabara Electric City (amazing must go place for geeks. There's a great mechanical keyboard shop there) which I forgot.

Sep 9, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #132 of 539
Not sure if anyone has seen this:
http://goldenears.net/board/index.php?mid=GR_Headphones&document_srl=2363155

Wonder if they have any similarities to my favorite DJ100. Probably not a chance..

Supposed to be good for Jpop I guess...

Sep 10, 2012 at 1:36 AM Post #134 of 539
Quote:
I was in Tokyo in the Shinjuku district. I went to 2 stores with a large amount of headphones, although only a few of them are available to listen to. The rest of them you can just wear and get a good idea of comfort and isolation.

The two stores were Yodabashi Camera right at the Shinjuku Station area and a store somewhere in Akihabara Electric City (amazing must go place for geeks. There's a great mechanical keyboard shop there) which I forgot.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back