Audio Technica ATH-A900X Discussion Thread (Formerly A-900X Review)
Dec 2, 2012 at 5:43 AM Post #167 of 539
I demo'd the A900X for about two weeks and I've owned the M50's for close to 3 years. They are definitely a worthy upgrade. I only took them back because the sound signature is similar to the DT990 I already owned. As good as the A900x is, the DT990 does everything just a little bit better. The money spent was better justified on something that compliments what I already owned. Chose the K550 instead.

Dec 2, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #168 of 539
Quote:
Hi, I am considering the A900X as an upgrade to my M50s. Is it worth the upgrade? Any sound comparison between this and M50 would help.
Thanks in advance!

I think it's a substantial upgrade. To me, the M50s have more <50hz presence, but the A900Xs do mids and highs better. 

Dec 2, 2012 at 11:59 AM Post #169 of 539
I demo'd the A900X for about two weeks and I've owned the M50's for close to 3 years. They are definitely a worthy upgrade. I only took them back because the sound signature is similar to the DT990 I already owned. As good as the A900x is, the DT990 does everything just a little bit better. The money spent was better justified on something that compliments what I already owned. Chose the K550 instead.

I think it's a substantial upgrade. To me, the M50s have more <50hz presence, but the A900Xs do mids and highs better. 

Thanks for the info! Just ordered one. :)

Dec 2, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #170 of 539
I had all these three cans: A900X, DT990 and K550.

K550 nice sound, but bad soundstage (sound in the head). Deatailing less than in A900X.
DT990 - deadly cans. Bass bit up to sickness. Highs are drill the brain. Recessed mids and vocal.
A900X - is the most organic headphones, with very beauty and tasty sound. Best of these 3.

Dec 10, 2012 at 3:19 PM Post #171 of 539
I just got a pair of "Audio-Technica ATH-A900x" headphones. I really like them because the sound is so clear and accurate, and there is no need for an amp when using iPod. But they are very big and heavy (330g), which I consider a deduction for wearing comfort. I wonder why they make them so heavy, and what parts make them heavy. Nowadays, very few headphones are that heavy. 

Dec 26, 2012 at 12:25 AM Post #173 of 539
Well, gotta say that I did not like these headphones.  Very disappointed.  The sound was actually quite good but they were very uncomfortable for me.  It's those wings, they're killin' me.  They slide down onto the tops of my ears.  After an hour of wearing them my ears were sore.  No way these will work for longer listening sessions.  And I really couldn't tell a difference in sound between these and my HD 280 pros.  Back to the store they go.

Dec 30, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #174 of 539
Quote:
Well, gotta say that I did not like these headphones.  Very disappointed.  The sound was actually quite good but they were very uncomfortable for me.  It's those wings, they're killin' me.  They slide down onto the tops of my ears.  After an hour of wearing them my ears were sore.  No way these will work for longer listening sessions.  And I really couldn't tell a difference in sound between these and my HD 280 pros.  Back to the store they go.

I think it's been said many, many times that the wing support on these headphones are do or die. You either love them or you hate them depending on what size and shape of head you have. I personally LOVE the wing system on these cans. I have a pretty big head, and I hate when bands rest on my head, they always feel uncomfortable and leave marks (I keep my head shaved). The ATH A900X sits perfectly on my head for hours and feels great, never slides down and after a while I don't even notice I'm wearing them.

Dec 30, 2012 at 5:45 PM Post #176 of 539
Oh yea I have been rocking them for over a week now. Excellence. IT is a solid tier above the A900X in SQ. Airy detailed massive stage, controlled and best of all it is balanced and actually has bass something that was overlooked on the last version.

You guys can read more impressions of them on the ADXXX thread. http://www.head-fi.org/t/631998/audio-technica-updates-their-open-headphones-ad-series-ad2000x-ad1000x-ad900x-ad700x-and-ad500x/150#post_8978855

Dec 30, 2012 at 6:11 PM Post #177 of 539
Quote:
Oh yea I have been rocking them for over a week now. Excellence. IT is a solid tier above the A900X in SQ. Airy detailed massive stage, controlled and best of all it is balanced and actually has bass something that was overlooked on the last version.

You guys can read more impressions of them on the ADXXX thread. http://www.head-fi.org/t/631998/audio-technica-updates-their-open-headphones-ad-series-ad2000x-ad1000x-ad900x-ad700x-and-ad500x/150#post_8978855

Looks like I might have to get these. Depends if I have money left since I'm planning on upgrading to D5000s and getting the Modi DAC. So many good headphones...so little money.

Dec 30, 2012 at 6:21 PM Post #178 of 539
Oh no doubt. This one was a deal I got as I signed up for Tenso to get my FXZ earphones from Amazon Japan. The prices was go great I ended up with not just my FXZ earphones but also a CKS1000 and a AD900X. I got a savings of almost $100 over the ebay prices.

I took a chance on the both but ended up with very nice sounding stuff. The AD900X is simply my best sounding cans. Unbelievable the sq that is coming out of these cans. They don't sound anything like the price I payed for them. I enjoy my CKS1000 as well but truth be told it was the AD900X that won that round.  I expect more guys to have them here very soon on the ADXXX thread.

Jan 26, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #180 of 539
Quote:
Imagine Shure SRH940s (or your beloved KRK 8400s), now add more bass presence. Done! This would have been the perfect "step up" headphones if you were a fan of the 940s but needed more bass quantity. The earpads is the one thing that didn't do it for me. Vocals on these ATs are rendered extremely well. Also, don't go on believing that these guys bring basshead level bass. Nah-uh! It brings just about the correct quantity to make music sound "full" and smooth.

That's my take on them.
Don't have them anymore, but that's how I remember them.

Again, the only thing I hated, cheapo earpad feeling and comfort...
Maybe PM MalVeaux.
I think he was going to review these, not sure if he did.

After a few months of using these, I feel exactly the same way. Just enough bass that doesn't overwhelm me like my 770's. And the clarity of vocals really allow me to enjoy listening to these. I think of all my headphones, these are my favs. Also, I'm ok w/ the pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back