Audio Technica ATH-A900X Discussion Thread (Formerly A-900X Review)
May 13, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #436 of 539
Hey guys started looking into headsets after my gaming headset stopped going. Then looked into headphones, got addicted (and have been lurking this thread for the last couple days).
Ordered me an a900x too because of this thread :D thank you!
It will arrive in about a week or so.

What I want to know is how do these sound for any of the following bands/artists? (If you listen to them)

Tool
Daft Punk
Of Monsters and Men
Red Hot Chilli Peppers
System of a Down
One Republic
Trivium

(Just to name a few)

Thank you!
L3000.gif

May 13, 2014 at 2:36 PM Post #437 of 539
  Hey guys started looking into headsets after my gaming headset stopped going. Then looked into headphones, got addicted (and have been lurking this thread for the last couple days).
Ordered me an a900x too because of this thread :D thank you!
It will arrive in about a week or so.

What I want to know is how do these sound for any of the following bands/artists? (If you listen to them)

Tool
Daft Punk
Of Monsters and Men
Red Hot Chilli Peppers
System of a Down
One Republic
Trivium

(Just to name a few)

Thank you!
L3000.gif

Nice, congrats!  Where did you order from?  I need to get myself another A900x haha

By the way, sounds great with the groups you listed!

May 13, 2014 at 6:47 PM Post #438 of 539
May 19, 2014 at 10:55 PM Post #439 of 539
I agree with the nasality comment on the A900x, but that's the only real chink in their armour, well that and the bass is a little overblown at times, but fun and very tuneful). Noticing that my Sonys had some small holes factory bored in the back of the earpiece to make them very slightly open-backed I wondered if modding my A900x in a similar way would help eliminate that nasal, choked quality that seems to be encumbering them a bit. I tried to add a photo of my Sony's drilled earpiece but message says I don't have permissions to (maybe because this is my first post). If that facility comes later I'll add the photo as some may find the concept interesting - DIY semi-open cans mod.

I went on a mission a few weeks ago to upgrade my 20+ year old Sony MDR-CD550s, thinking a couple hundred $£ should get me something to blow them out of the water in all respects, but the journey hasn't been so simple. I bought HiFiMan HE-500s (great bass slam but not very tuneful bass, and voices and timbre of acoustic instruments is suprisingly veiled leaving an overall congested or veiled sound, not the airy freedom I want), Shure SRH840 (nicely balanced but slightly bass light, and overall a little dry for my tastes, though they're one of the few that are good with no EQ: I intended to listen through my main system of Naim CD player and Lehmann Black Cube Linear HPA so no EQ available in that system), a pair of DT880 Premium bought on eBay that haven't quite reached me, so I can't comment there just yet, but will update this if anyone's interested afer they arrive. Starting with the notion that the HD650s may be the ones, then altering my opinion o favour the 600s, then stumbling upon the we;ll reviewed HE-500s that threw me off track, I'm slowly coming back to thinking that the HD650s might be the best fit for me and my budget after all, so it's encouraging to hear someone say they're ultimately better than the A900x, that I'm 85% content with. Don't know if I'll ever find the perfect headphone - has anyone else done so?

May 20, 2014 at 8:39 AM Post #440 of 539
  I agree with the nasality comment on the A900x, but that's the only real chink in their armour, well that and the bass is a little overblown at times, but fun and very tuneful). Noticing that my Sonys had some small holes factory bored in the back of the earpiece to make them very slightly open-backed I wondered if modding my A900x in a similar way would help eliminate that nasal, choked quality that seems to be encumbering them a bit. I tried to add a photo of my Sony's drilled earpiece but message says I don't have permissions to (maybe because this is my first post). If that facility comes later I'll add the photo as some may find the concept interesting - DIY semi-open cans mod.

I went on a mission a few weeks ago to upgrade my 20+ year old Sony MDR-CD550s, thinking a couple hundred $£ should get me something to blow them out of the water in all respects, but the journey hasn't been so simple. I bought HiFiMan HE-500s (great bass slam but not very tuneful bass, and voices and timbre of acoustic instruments is suprisingly veiled leaving an overall congested or veiled sound, not the airy freedom I want), Shure SRH840 (nicely balanced but slightly bass light, and overall a little dry for my tastes, though they're one of the few that are good with no EQ: I intended to listen through my main system of Naim CD player and Lehmann Black Cube Linear HPA so no EQ available in that system), a pair of DT880 Premium bought on eBay that haven't quite reached me, so I can't comment there just yet, but will update this if anyone's interested afer they arrive. Starting with the notion that the HD650s may be the ones, then altering my opinion o favour the 600s, then stumbling upon the we;ll reviewed HE-500s that threw me off track, I'm slowly coming back to thinking that the HD650s might be the best fit for me and my budget after all, so it's encouraging to hear someone say they're ultimately better than the A900x, that I'm 85% content with. Don't know if I'll ever find the perfect headphone - has anyone else done so?

I haven't.  Settled for the DT880, and I would love to know your impressions when they arrive.

May 21, 2014 at 12:54 AM Post #441 of 539

Tool
Red Hot Chilli Peppers
System of a Down
Thank you!
L3000.gif

Very good…all great choices for this headphone, I think the hard rock/metal type of sound doesn't bring out any of the weaknesses, and these are ideal for clarity and response at both ends of the spectrum. Note that I'm using MBP Retina->Audirvana Plus->USB->Fostex HP-A3, which pairs very well with the A900X.

Somebody brought up the nasality (I called it "cardboardness" previously), but I think it is something that becomes tamed over time. Perhaps something loosens up eventually in a way that calms mid-frequency resonance? I don't know, but these days I really don't notice it often.

May 23, 2014 at 5:59 AM Post #442 of 539
Got my A900X this afternoon. Played a few tracks and first thing I noticed was that I could separate the instruments without having to close my eyes and concentrate on the sounds.

The sound stage is slightly more open than my late SWTOR gaming headset. Nothing I'm not used to.

It is also comfortable. It sits perfectly on my head and have had them on for 5 hours, only taking them off to go to the loo or get some water. They do get a bit warm though, again nothing I'm not used to as my old headset did the same thing. Its a plus right now as its winter.

The mids are beautiful and they really seem to stand out.

The highs I'm not used to and almost hurt at really high volumes.

Was also worried that my motherboard wouldn't drive these well enough but I keep windows volume at 6-12 for music and 12-20 for gaming.

Ran these at 100 volume and they did not distort. Very Impressed!

It is bass light but its punchy. Was worried I might not like them as I like some kick in my bass but these delivered more detail witch also didn't mix in with other sounds.

I'm no audiophile and am still not used to much of the jargon and can't give you anything in depth but this is pretty much it from roughly 5 hours of listening..

Its a whole new world in my head now. 
L3000.gif

May 23, 2014 at 6:37 AM Post #443 of 539
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Yes these headphones are excellent for that band: They've been my fave band since John Frusciante joined in 1990 or whenever (though John made me like them more than any other single member, with his creativity and melodic genius that I miss). Anyways, these cans have a warm and mellow sound without being laid back, that shines with a strong rythm section like Chad and Flea in RHCP. Some RHCP records can be a bit brash and the warm and mellow character sound of the 900s takes the harsh edge of some poorer recordings, adding musicality. The slightly shut-in sound that I hope WILL open up in time, actually makes for a more intimate soundstage. Vocals are very clear without ever becoming bright. This makes them good for bands like Rage Against the Machine too. Sorry I don't know System of a Down, but the headphones also works well with Pearl Jam, Beck, Smashing Pumpkins, Radiohead, Portishead, Jamiroquai, Foo FIghters, Gorillaz, Nirvana  - if that's any help.

Someone on here just recently said they find the 900x bass light; this is definitely not my experience: I find them very rich and full bodied, almost fruity in the bass, and very slightly overblown at times, but that's a fun thing so no problemo for me. They communicate the tuneful timbre of drums and tomtoms very well, and give good edge definiton to bass guitar when it's well recorded (RATM fans should like them). 

May 29, 2014 at 4:22 PM Post #444 of 539
I purchased A900x headphone from another headfier recently and it comes in the mail tommorow.
Coming from the Shure SRH840's what should I expect?
Sound wise, what are some of the advantages of the A900x over the SRH840?

I love the SRH840's, just wish they had more bass, so purchased the PSB M4U 1and it was AMAZING!

Lots of bases, no recsessed mids, good highs.
But the treble/highs just didn't sparkle/extend as much as I wanted it to and it was less detailed than the Shures.
Also the PSB's seemed overpriced to me, so I sold them.

How is the A900x going to compare to these headphones, especially the Shures?

May 30, 2014 at 4:11 AM Post #445 of 539
Hi, I can only answer for the Shures as I havent heard the others. The Shures are the most open closed-back headphone I've heard. The A900x will sound quite shut in by comparison, and it is mostly this charcteristic that made me slightly prefer the Shures (but maybe you'll find different). The Shures treble has a bit more sparkle but the 900s are pretty decent. Shures are a bit bass light but if you can fix with EQ then they may be better than the shut-in boxiness of the 900s that can't be cured without drilling holes in the back of the cups for air-flow :) Both are good for hearing vocals clearly, which is important to me. The Shures are very even across the spectrum, though a bit bass light. The 900s are fruity in the bass - I mean quite full but a little overblown or bloomy for me which very slightly masks the low mid. They are a fun signature though and one of the best for listening to my style of music (often not greatly produced rock and indie). The Shures are very transparent, but sometimes to the point of sibilance, and for some reason (ultrasonic transparency or something I don't know about) they tend to give me a headache sometimes. Despite that, and taking into consideration the weaknesses of both, if I was to have to give up one set (currently owning both plus HE500s and dt880 Premium), I'd keep the HE500s and the Shures. BUT remember ye this: I've had to conclude that there is no ONE set of perfect headphones, and I have resigned myself to owning several pairs - just like my collection of other hi-fi components. Depending on what mood I'm in or the style of music I'll select one or the other. Don't know if that helps but don't sell teh Shures too quickly. They are amazing performance for the price. ALl the best
Jim

May 30, 2014 at 5:29 AM Post #446 of 539
Thank you, the Shures are here to stay, until they no longer work. Then I'll buy another set.

I'm actually most worried about the mids of a900x, only time will tell how they sound.

May 31, 2014 at 12:47 PM Post #447 of 539
Just got Audio Technica ATH-A900X, they sound very similar to the Shure SRH840, only slightly softer on the highs and a tad more bass.

To me, the ATH-A900X FIT better than the Shure SRH840, but the comfort is worse on the Audio Technica ATH-A900X.

I paid $126 for them, for the price, it's safe to say nothing beats them.

Jun 1, 2014 at 11:27 PM Post #448 of 539
I was wondering if someone could compare the a900x to the Sony mdr-7506 (my current headphones) to the HE-400 and to the PSB M4U1 (two headphones that I am considering along with the a900x's.) I am most familiar with the Sony's so any description in reference to them would be particularly valuable. Thanks!

Jun 6, 2014 at 5:55 PM Post #449 of 539
ATH-AD1000x is ¥27,000 right now on Amazon.jp. Might go even lower, but by looking at the trend it is more likely that it won't be much before the price picks up again.

Tempted haha
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back