Audio Technica ATH-A900X Discussion Thread (Formerly A-900X Review)
Sep 2, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #452 of 539
Will A900x be good choose for Jazz/blues listening ( primary use  )and some light gaming ( non -FPS , non compatitive )  and some video watching at home , i know ad900x will be good for gaming but i need closed ones , will A900x gain more from adding fiio e09k or e17 for jazz/blues listening ?Do you think sony Mdr-v6 or 7506 alternative to A900x if it is not suitable for jazz/blues

PS : I  like to hear neutral sounds ,and not like bass

Thank You

Sep 2, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #453 of 539
  Will A900x be good choose for Jazz/blues listening ( primary use  )and some light gaming ( non -FPS , non compatitive )  and some video watching at home , i know ad900x will be good for gaming but i need closed ones , will A900x gain more from adding fiio e09k or e17 for jazz/blues listening ?Do you think sony Mdr-v6 or 7506 alternative to A900x if it is not suitable for jazz/blues

Thank You

I like using my ATH-A900Xs for a lot of different audio, I consider them very musical headphones, the music bleeds just a little, but the over all sound (balanced) is nice.
I added the Hifiman HE Velour ear pads ($10+shipping) to my A900Xs.
The A900Xs are easy to drive, the FiiO E17 has a lower output impedance (>1-Ohm), then the E09K (10-Ohm).
Technically the >1-Ohm impedance of the E17 is a little more desirable for 42-Ohm headphones like the A900Xs.

Sep 2, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #454 of 539
Will A900x be good choose for Jazz/blues listening ( primary use  )

In my Opinion yes.

and some light gaming ( non -FPS , non compatitive )  and some video watching at home ,

The only issue is that depending on your ears, they might get warm after a while. The original Pads did cause some sweat after gaming for me. The 3d sound image is good (not like Sony MA900 or HD800 but noticeable wide).

i know ad900x will be good for gaming but i need closed ones , will A900x gain more from adding fiio e09k or e17 for jazz/blues listening ?

The A900X are easy to drive. Did not benefit greatly from an amp.

Do you think sony Mdr-v6 or 7506 alternative to A900x if it is not suitable for jazz/blues

this depends 7506 has more energy in the highs then the V6 and the 7506. I would go for the V6, but it has a bit more bass then the 7506. Or its just the more in high energy on the 7506. I could just be the age of the earpads when i had them.

The V6 might be to bass heavy then. I personally would recommend the AKG612, but they are open.

Sep 9, 2014 at 7:48 PM Post #455 of 539
Great review!  As someone who bounces between Beyer DT 880's and the A900X (and occasionally 7506's), I agree almost completely with the reviewer's assessment of the A900X.

I too have a large head and can only manage to wear headphones designed to accommodate that.  I would also give the Beyerdynamics the edge in comfort, but I appreciate the design that AT utilizes to take pressure off "headache-inducing" areas.

With sound, it's hard to compare the 900X with the 880's, since one is closed & one is semi-open.  I would rate the 880's a little higher in almost all regards.  The 900X's exhibit a LOT more bass, which is nice for movies, games, and even a lot of music.  In that vein, I would call the 880's more balanced overall, but it depends on what you prefer.

The 900X's are a lot easier to drive than the 880's, despite my choice of the 32 ohm version of the 880's.

For around $200-$230 at the moment, the A900X's are a steal.

Dec 13, 2014 at 5:23 AM Post #456 of 539
Very nice review, I just bought a pair of ath a900x recently, and I've been using it for 40 hrs. it sounds pretty dull, the treble is not bright enough and the bass sounds very soft and loose. I somehow feel like my old ath m50 sounds better than the a900x. The m50 has more clarity and the bass is much punchy (not boomy). Is all of these common? Does it need more burn-in? 

Dec 20, 2014 at 12:28 AM Post #457 of 539
  Very nice review, I just bought a pair of ath a900x recently, and I've been using it for 40 hrs. it sounds pretty dull, the treble is not bright enough and the bass sounds very soft and loose. I somehow feel like my old ath m50 sounds better than the a900x. The m50 has more clarity and the bass is much punchy (not boomy). Is all of these common? Does it need more burn-in? 

Loose?  If anything the ATH-A900x has very tight bass.  Doubt burn-in is an issue here, may want to exchange/return if possible.
ATH-A900x is a solid upgrade, and I really cannot say it is a dull headphone.

Dec 23, 2014 at 8:36 PM Post #459 of 539
They actually have some that are shipped and sold from Amazon. They are discontinued but it seems Amazon has plenty of stock. Here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B006V386UG/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1419384763&sr=8-1&dpPl=1&dpID=41Z6xqfw3RL&ref=plSrch&pi=AC_SY200_QL40

Hope this helps!

Dec 25, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #460 of 539
I just got my a900x's on Wednesday and I have to say that I am extremely impressed so far. I bought them hoping that they were less harsh and had more controlled bass over the m50x and the really do. I agree that the stock pads are pretty crappy, so I actually tried to put on some shure 1540 pads I had purchased for the m50x. Happy to say that they fit, but it was tough to get them on. I didn't have much time on the stock pads, so my impressions may not be objective. I feel that the new pads made the bass slightly more impactful without losing any control and it also takes some of the nasal congestion that some had mentioned.

Dec 25, 2014 at 9:31 PM Post #461 of 539
  So, where has everyone been getting the A900x's (or AD900x's) lately?  Do you go through one of the Japanese sellers on Amazon and wait the 30-50 days stated for delivery time?

$149 including shipping at BuyDig: http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=ATHA900X

I nosed around and found a coupon to drop that a little bit.

Dec 26, 2014 at 12:06 PM Post #464 of 539
Just ordered a pair from Buydig.  And the wait begins...  For now, I'll be powering them off the HP jack on my Onkyo TX-870.  When the funds are available, I'd like to get a modest desktop amp for them.  I'm open to any and all suggestions.  Thanks again, russdog.

edit: Anyone have any experience with the garage 1217 amps and a900x's?  I've been curious about these amps for a long time.  I read through most of this thread but didn't se any mention of them.

Dec 26, 2014 at 12:34 PM Post #465 of 539
  Just ordered a pair from Buydig.  And the wait begins...  For now, I'll be powering them off the HP jack on my Onkyo TX-870.  When the funds are available, I'd like to get a modest desktop amp for them.  I'm open to any and all suggestions.  Thanks again, russdog.

edit: Anyone have any experience with the garage 1217 amps and a900x's?  I've been curious about these amps for a long time.  I read through most of this thread but didn't se any mention of them.

You're quite welcome.

Re: the amp... are you all set, DAC-wise?  Because these things are so efficient that you're gonna need a good DAC more than you're gonna need an amp.  

Plus, around here, when somebody says "modest" that could mean anything from cheap to crazy-expensive-for-non-insane-people.  What's your idea of modest?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back