Audio Technica ATH-A900X Discussion Thread (Formerly A-900X Review)
Dec 26, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #466 of 539
Hi russdog,

I'm only going to be using the HP's from a "conventional" system, i.e., a CD player, receiver (for now), to HP so no DAC will be needed.  I will not be using them off a computer-based set-up as I have a different rig for that.

Regarding modest, I'm thinking in the under $400 range.  Hence, the interest in the garage 1217 amps.  I know the A900x's certainly don't need the power this/these amps put out, but the features/adjustability sure is intriguing.  Also, from doing much reading, the reviews say these amps are a little more laid back, even the solid state model.  I'm not into the overly clinical sound so I thought this might be a good match with the A900x's.

The other amp I was looking at was the Meier Corda Jazz.  However, it seems this has a very different sound sig from the garage amps.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Bill

Dec 26, 2014 at 1:30 PM Post #467 of 539
  Hi russdog,

I'm only going to be using the HP's from a "conventional" system, i.e., a CD player, receiver (for now), to HP so no DAC will be needed.  I will not be using them off a computer-based set-up as I have a different rig for that.

Regarding modest, I'm thinking in the under $400 range.  Hence, the interest in the garage 1217 amps.  I know the A900x's certainly don't need the power this/these amps put out, but the features/adjustability sure is intriguing.  Also, from doing much reading, the reviews say these amps are a little more laid back, even the solid state model.  I'm not into the overly clinical sound so I thought this might be a good match with the A900x's.

The other amp I was looking at was the Meier Corda Jazz.  However, it seems this has a very different sound sig from the garage amps.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Bill

I'm waiting on my CEntrace DACmini CX, which I think was a steal at Massdrop's $399.  Had I missed it, I would wait and sign up for their next drop of them.  But, unlike you, I need it for both the DAC and the amp.  

If I was gonna get an additional amp, personally I would get the 1217 Ember since it would accommodate the range of HP's I have. That thing seems like a remarkable bargain to me.   (I just wish they had a version that would let you install 2 different tubes and flick a switch to alternate between them, as yanking tubes when I alternate between 2 HP's seems like a PITA to me.  But nobody else seems bothered by this, so I guess I'd just need to get over it.)

I don't know beans about the Meier Corda Jazz.   Will be curious to see what you do and how you like it after you do it...

Dec 26, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #468 of 539
  I'm waiting on my CEntrace DACmini CX, which I think was a steal at Massdrop's $399.  Had I missed it, I would wait and sign up for their next drop of them.  But, unlike you, I need it for both the DAC and the amp.  

If I was gonna get an additional amp, personally I would get the 1217 Ember since it would accommodate the range of HP's I have. That thing seems like a remarkable bargain to me.   (I just wish they had a version that would let you install 2 different tubes and flick a switch to alternate between them, as yanking tubes when I alternate between 2 HP's seems like a PITA to me.  But nobody else seems bothered by this, so I guess I'd just need to get over it.)

I don't know beans about the Meier Corda Jazz.   Will be curious to see what you do and how you like it after you do it...

I'm not sure if I'd go with the Ember or Polaris (the SS model).  Years back, I had some really huge tube monoblock amps and a tube preamp in the home rig (Atma-Sphere).  The tube costs were truly astronomical, along with the desire to roll 'em, esp. in the preamp. What scares me about the Ember if I bought it is that I'd spend more money tube rolling than what the initial purchase price was on the amp.  Supposedly, the sound sig of the Polaris is pretty similar to the Ember.  If so, I'd probably go in that direction.  I know myself too well.  I would end up wanting to roll tubes like crazy in the Ember looking for audio nirvana.

Dec 28, 2014 at 7:48 PM Post #470 of 539
The A900x's are supposed to be here on Tuesday 12/30.  Can't wait to get home from work that day!  I'm a computer Luddite, but I'll try to load up a pic or two when they arrive.  Have rubberbands at the ready as I wear a medium hat size.

Dec 30, 2014 at 4:02 PM Post #471 of 539
I received the HP's about 2 hrs ago and put about 1 1/2 hrs on them.  With the small no. of hours on them, I won't comment on the sound yet.

However, I have noted one or two things regarding the fit.  One, even with a medium but somewhat narrow head, I needed a rubberband to get the HP's not to slide down on my head.  With the proper rubberband, they are very comfortable.  Two, the seal is just slightly better when I'm not wearing my eyeglasses.  It's a minor difference but it is there.

I'll post some sound impressions when I get a decent amount of hours on them.  My modest system consists of a Marantz BD8002 BRP/CDP/Onkyo TX-870 receiver, and the AT A900x's with KCI IC's.

Jan 3, 2015 at 9:02 AM Post #472 of 539
So far, I have about 16-17 hours on them.  I hate to say it but there is definitely a channel imbalance to the left side pretty much throughout the frequency range.  A relatively mild tweak on the balance control on the TX-870 corrected this.  Therefore, I will NOT be using these HP's with any dedicated HP amp w/o a balance control feature.  Personally, I don't know of any.

As far as how the sound is, overall clarity has improved and they sound less "nasal" from when brand new.  I will report more after the 50 hour mark.

Feb 18, 2015 at 12:50 PM Post #474 of 539
I tried searching but to no avail - does anyone know if the velour pads from the AD900X are interchangeable with the pleather ones on the A900X?

Bill

Feb 18, 2015 at 6:48 PM Post #476 of 539
Feb 19, 2015 at 7:38 AM Post #478 of 539
Gotcha - thanks for the heads-up.

Apr 24, 2015 at 6:24 PM Post #479 of 539
Does an alternative replacement cable for this can exit? I have looked around and see none, but I just want to make sure before shipping my can to AT to replace the cable. My can becomes noisy every time I move or press on the cable.

Apr 25, 2015 at 3:35 AM Post #480 of 539
Nope, cable is not changeable, at least you can make a DYI cable, but then you'll need to open up can's and do some soldering, but then you will loose warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back