Audio Technica ATH-A900X Discussion Thread (Formerly A-900X Review)
Jul 4, 2015 at 3:16 PM Post #496 of 539
No piercing highs indeed, but not without grain though. I love the A900Xs, but they can get fatiguing because of some 'glare' or 'grain', there's some dryish texture, not as smooth and liquid as the D5000s for instance, although the D5000s can be more sibilant.

Jul 4, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #497 of 539
  No piercing highs indeed, but not without grain though. I love the A900Xs, but they can get fatiguing because of some 'glare' or 'grain', there's some dryish texture, not as smooth and liquid as the D5000s for instance, although the D5000s can be more sibilant.

I wonder if HD380 is better in that regard. They are both big, around the ear headphones, but the HD380 is said to be more neutral. 

Jul 4, 2015 at 6:22 PM Post #498 of 539
Sorry, I don't know, never heard the HD380s.

Aug 26, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #500 of 539
I was thinking about getting a pair of these A900x's to use for gaming and listening to various types of music. I currently have HD558s (which I am very fond of) but need something closed back. Would the A900x's be a good choice? 

Aug 29, 2015 at 6:03 PM Post #501 of 539
Thanks for the shining review! You've convinced me to purchase a pair of these as a musical brother to my MDR-7506s (which are great for monitoring, but poor for music enjoyment). 

I was looking so hard for neutral, good looking, well made closed cans. Your review ended my month long search! Thanks so much! Can't wait to hear them :)

Oct 24, 2015 at 3:51 AM Post #502 of 539
  Thanks for the shining review! You've convinced me to purchase a pair of these as a musical brother to my MDR-7506s (which are great for monitoring, but poor for music enjoyment). 

I was looking so hard for neutral, good looking, well made closed cans. Your review ended my month long search! Thanks so much! Can't wait to hear them :)

How are they? =) It's been a long time since I last visited this thread. 

Oct 24, 2015 at 10:55 AM Post #503 of 539

How are they? =) It's been a long time since I last visited this thread. 

Heya Mysteek!

It's been a very interesting experience to say the least; I percieve their "Dryness" as being a definite lack in the upper mids, and find that their upper bass boost makes for a very boomy listen. Funnily enough I have a relatively big head and I have real issues with their wing-based suspension system, I've strung some rubber bands arount them and they're comfortable enough now.

However they're certainly not meritless; Aside from the upper-mids, their midrange is nice and refined, and their soundstage is incredible. Treble performance is solid as well, a little extra extension probably woudn't hurt, but the top end is nice and rounded.

I'm a tad disappointed at their performance, but I'm glad I have the chance to use them and review them (I should have a comprehensive review up soon). :) Hope everybody else is having good experience with theirs!

Aside from the upper-mids their midrange is certainly very refined and enjoyable, and their soundstage is pretty incredible.

Oct 24, 2015 at 11:22 AM Post #504 of 539
[...]

It's been a very interesting experience to say the least; I percieve their "Dryness" as being a definite lack in the upper mids, and find that their upper bass boost makes for a very boomy listen. Funnily enough I have a relatively big head and I have real issues with their wing-based suspension system, I've strung some rubber bands arount them and they're comfortable enough now. [...]

Interesting. What amplifier are you using, as well as your source and source material? I looked at your profile, but it wasn't filled out.

Oct 24, 2015 at 12:10 PM Post #505 of 539
Interesting. What amplifier are you using, as well as your source and source material? I looked at your profile, but it wasn't filled out.

Yeah sorry about that, it's mostly because being a student I have very little gear to boast of..

The A900Xs have been swapped between use with my Steinburg UR22, and Oneplus One; with around 50 hours burn in. Source material composition is roughly; 70% FLAC, 25% MP3 (mostly 320kbps), and 5% AAC.

The issues I've found I've all confirmed by ABing against my Zensor 3s :)

Oct 24, 2015 at 1:01 PM Post #506 of 539
Yeah sorry about that, it's mostly because being a student I have very little gear to boast of..

Totally understandable, especially for a student.

Don't look at it as boasting; it's info that other members can use in answering your questions.

The A900Xs have been swapped between use with my Steinburg UR22, and Oneplus One; with around 50 hours burn in. Source material composition is roughly; 70% FLAC, 25% MP3 (mostly 320kbps), and 5% AAC.

The issues I've found I've all confirmed by ABing against my Zensor 3s :)

To be fair, one can't really compare a headphone and a speaker. Totally different working constraints. I asked the questions, because the description of the sound ran contrary to my experience (you can see what I use in my profile). Look at it in a positive light; the headphones will only sound better as you upgrade your gear. They're capable of very impressive performance. Good luck.

:)

Oct 24, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #507 of 539
Totally understandable, especially for a student.

Don't look at it as boasting; it's info that other members can use in answering your questions.
To be fair, one can't really compare a headphone and a speaker. Totally different working constraints. I asked the questions, because the description of the sound ran contrary to my experience (you can see what I use in my profile). Look at it in a positive light; the headphones will only sound better as you upgrade your gear. They're capable of very impressive performance. Good luck.

smily_headphones1.gif

Oh yeah I get the idea, I meant for that to come across as a bit of a joke; I might include what I'm using tonight :)

Aye, but I have nothing else of what I would consider to be quality enought to A/B with. Try listening to Frou Frou's "Let go", I find that I was totally incapable to discern when her voice was wavering in high notes; I can on the Z3s. However, that's just my immediate finds and needs further investigation, I've not been using them much recently as I've been joining review tours and the headband difficulties have left me kind of not wanting to use them. I wouldn't say that any of my impressions right now are final, I need to give them the listen they deserve :)

And absolutely, I work whenever I can and a dedicated Amp/DAC is high on my buy list :) Thanks!

Nov 26, 2015 at 2:11 AM Post #510 of 539
The M50 was my first real headphone and IMO, the A900X is way better in every way. 
I thought the M50 sounded very closed in and didn't do it for me at all.

I own both and yes, when using the a900x for a while and then switch back to the m50, it all sounds very narrow.
I just keep the m50 for portable use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back