Audio Technica ATH-A900X Discussion Thread (Formerly A-900X Review)
Apr 19, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #421 of 539
  Anyone compare these to Fidelio X1?

Have the X1, thinking of getting these instead.

While these are very good closed headphones, the X1s are open headphones however and in most cases these win.
If you need closed the 900X are one of the best bang-for-the-buck.
If you can have open cans, then the X1/MA900/K612 are the best-bang-for-the-buck.

I owned/own all those at one point or another.

Apr 19, 2014 at 2:40 PM Post #422 of 539
  In fact, I never heard Dolby Headphone, so do not know if I will like the sound. I just know people recommend Dolby for games and movies. But there are players who live well without dolby, correct? I have to listen to see if I'll like it. So first I think I'll buy a DGX and Yulong U100 or O2. If I enjoy Dolby I sell the amp / dac.

Dolby is post processing effect, this video should answer your question!
www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVdgMQC2rYM

If you like Dolby, you should start with the DGX.  The DGX is cheap, and it has a headphone amplifier.  If you want to upgrade the sound, you can take advantage of the optical transport.
If you do not care for Dolby, getting the Yulong U100 or similar will be convenient in the long run.  

Do not worry to much, just start with something already haha 
biggrin.gif

EDIT 

While these are very good closed headphones, the X1s are open headphones however and in most cases these win.
If you can have open cans, then the X1/MA900/K612 are the best-bang-for-the-buck.

A900x goes for $99 at least once a year, which puts them on the top of my charts for bang/buck.

Apr 19, 2014 at 2:54 PM Post #423 of 539

A900x goes for $99 at least once a year, which puts them on the top of my charts for bang/buck.

A headfi member is offering to sell me his for $130, or we might work out a deal where I trade my X1s for them, maybe with a little bit of cash thrown in on his end.

I don't need closed headphones--I can use either open or closed. My Denon D2000s are closed, but I much prefer them to the open X1s. However, the Denon's are said to be very unusual for closed cans--they sound more open than most. The TS said that the 900s remind him of the Denons, so I'm hoping that I will like the 900s over the X1.

Apr 19, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #424 of 539

A headfi member is offering to sell me his for $130, or we might work out a deal where I trade my X1s for them, maybe with a little bit of cash thrown in on his end.
I don't need closed headphones--I can use either open or closed. My Denon D2000s are closed, but I much prefer them to the open X1s. However, the Denon's are said to be very unusual for closed cans--they sound more open than most. The TS said that the 900s remind him of the Denons, so I'm hoping that I will like the 900s over the X1.

I am sure you'll like the 900X then.

Apr 19, 2014 at 8:36 PM Post #425 of 539
  Dolby is post processing effect, this video should answer your question!
www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVdgMQC2rYM

If you like Dolby, you should start with the DGX.  The DGX is cheap, and it has a headphone amplifier.  If you want to upgrade the sound, you can take advantage of the optical transport.
If you do not care for Dolby, getting the Yulong U100 or similar will be convenient in the long run.  

Do not worry to much, just start with something already haha 
biggrin.gif

EDIT 

I liked the sound dolby headphone. Gave more power to the sound. I could have that same quality with a yulong u100 or O2?
Do you have a sound recording of games with amp / dac? I have not found on youtube.com ... I would listen amp / dac to compare games with dolby.
Thanks for the help. The video you sent me helped a lot!

Apr 19, 2014 at 11:25 PM Post #426 of 539
  I liked the sound dolby headphone. Gave more power to the sound. I could have that same quality with a yulong u100 or O2?
Do you have a sound recording of games with amp / dac? I have not found on youtube.com ... I would listen amp / dac to compare games with dolby.
Thanks for the help. The video you sent me helped a lot!

Dolby cannot be achieved with U100 or similar devices.  Requires special hardware unfortunately.  
Now, I would not say that Dolby increases sound quality, it is closer to sound equalizer if you know what I mean.
The stereo separation is exaggerated a bit so it is easier to hear, which is beneficial for video games.  

I never got that far in BF3, but my brother played with some of the best players on youtube.  He uses cheap earbuds and motherboard audio haha!  

I would not worry about Dolby too much.  You can always get a Dolby decoder like the Astro Mixamp, Turtle Beach DSS, etc. 

EDIT: You should find more videos on youtube and make a decision.  If you want Dolby, you might as well get the Essence, as you are not going to get a better soundcard 
biggrin.gif

By the time you get the DG, DAC with optical input, and Amp, you are going to have an expensive mess.  Go get that U100, don't look back!

Apr 20, 2014 at 12:20 AM Post #427 of 539
I would strongly suggest you DON'T get the astro mixamp. It's terrible. At least the first generation one I own is. It puts a ton of reverb over everything so you feel like your gaming inside a concrete bucker. Echo city.

But that doesn't mean dolby headphone is bad. I replaced my mixamp with a full-sized Marantz receiver which I got for something like $100 off of craigslist. The Marantz also has dolby headphone out and I love it. It sounds great.

And I must respectfully disagree with Yazen here. DH is not an exaggeration of stereo separation. DH takes a 5.1 or 7.1 surround signal and translates it into a two channel virtual surround signal. What this means for gaming is, sounds that are supposed to be coming from behind you, actually sound like they ARE behind you. You can close your eyes and use your mouse or gamepad to turn in a circle and you will hear the sounds traveling all around you. It is not perfect, but it is way better than a regular stereo signal at conveying three dimensional space for gaming.

Apr 20, 2014 at 12:42 AM Post #428 of 539
  I would strongly suggest you DON'T get the astro mixamp. It's terrible. At least the first generation one I own is. It puts a ton of reverb over everything so you feel like your gaming inside a concrete bucker. Echo city.

But that doesn't mean dolby headphone is bad. I replaced my mixamp with a full-sized Marantz receiver which I got for something like $100 off of craigslist. The Marantz also has dolby headphone out and I love it. It sounds great.

And I must respectfully disagree with Yazen here. DH is not an exaggeration of stereo separation. DH takes a 5.1 or 7.1 surround signal and translates it into a two channel virtual surround signal. What this means for gaming is, sounds that are supposed to be coming from behind you, actually sound like they ARE behind you. You can close your eyes and use your mouse or gamepad to turn in a circle and you will hear the sounds traveling all around you. It is not perfect, but it is way better than a regular stereo signal at conveying three dimensional space for gaming.

I get it. The surround razor does exactly the same thing bolby headphone sound cards? If so, I could invest in amp / dac + surround razor (for games).

Apr 20, 2014 at 12:47 AM Post #429 of 539
  Dolby cannot be achieved with U100 or similar devices.  Requires special hardware unfortunately.  
Now, I would not say that Dolby increases sound quality, it is closer to sound equalizer if you know what I mean.
The stereo separation is exaggerated a bit so it is easier to hear, which is beneficial for video games.  

I never got that far in BF3, but my brother played with some of the best players on youtube.  He uses cheap earbuds and motherboard audio haha!  

I would not worry about Dolby too much.  You can always get a Dolby decoder like the Astro Mixamp, Turtle Beach DSS, etc. 

EDIT: You should find more videos on youtube and make a decision.  If you want Dolby, you might as well get the Essence, as you are not going to get a better soundcard 
biggrin.gif

By the time you get the DG, DAC with optical input, and Amp, you are going to have an expensive mess.  Go get that U100, don't look back!

I am inclined to do so. I think this option is very good: Yulong U100 (USB) + Razor surround.
I would have sound quality in music and also in games. Does this sound good?

Apr 20, 2014 at 7:11 PM Post #431 of 539
  I get it. The surround razor does exactly the same thing bolby headphone sound cards? If so, I could invest in amp / dac + surround razor (for games).

I don't know if it does exactly the same thing, but probably something quite similar. My guess is that Dolby has probably put a little bit more money and or time into their tech than Razor, being a much bigger and older company,  but I could be wrong about that. There is a way to get Dolby Headphone working in software mode for watching videos with any laptop/pc--let me know if you want to try that and I could try to find the link and post it. But it is nowhere near as impressive with movies as it is with games.

Apr 20, 2014 at 8:47 PM Post #433 of 539

I don't know if it does exactly the same thing, but probably something quite similar. My guess is that Dolby has probably put a little bit more money and or time into their tech than Razor, being a much bigger and older company,  but I could be wrong about that. There is a way to get Dolby Headphone working in software mode for watching videos with any laptop/pc--let me know if you want to try that and I could try to find the link and post it. But it is nowhere near as impressive with movies as it is with games.

I know this program that simulates Dolby Headphone for video players: http://www.head-fi.org/t/555263/foobar2000-dolby-headphone-config-comment-discuss
Never used it, but I intend to do a test. Shame it does not work with games.
I think it should work well with movies.
I do not play many games fps. I prefer rpg-action, then the surround / dolby is not so necessary, I think. Anyway, if I need to I'll take a razor surround. Thanks for the help!

Apr 20, 2014 at 11:02 PM Post #434 of 539

I know this program that simulates Dolby Headphone for video players: http://www.head-fi.org/t/555263/foobar2000-dolby-headphone-config-comment-discuss
Never used it, but I intend to do a test. Shame it does not work with games.
I think it should work well with movies.
I do not play many games fps. I prefer rpg-action, then the surround / dolby is not so necessary, I think. Anyway, if I need to I'll take a razor surround. Thanks for the help!

Maybe you can write a review if you have the chance 
wink.gif

Check out this thread if you ever feel bored!
www.head-fi.org/t/627598/pc-enthusiast-fi-pc-gaming-parts-overclocking

Good luck, and I hope everything goes smooth.  I used to have to pay import tax for things, they would find the highest price on eBay and charge ~40% tax loool

Users who are viewing this thread

Back