Audio Technica ATH-A900X Discussion Thread (Formerly A-900X Review)
Apr 15, 2014 at 4:20 AM Post #406 of 539
I believe it will serve You well, You won't need any amp for it, maybe in future, but amp will not make it sound better, as SB Z DAC will be Your bottleneck. I'am using ZxR for music and games, Z have 100% same software features so should be as good in games. If Yuo most into games/music don't try to go super Hi-End it is not the case, games as source for sound is rarely a very HQ source, maybe movies, but IMO movies in headphones is not as enjoyable as external set-up in any case :)

And Aune T1 won't give You game features like DolbyHeadphone or Creative SBX surround, witch is very useful in game. Only if You will send processed signal to Aune RCA inputs.

I believe only music can open external dac/amp potential, wouldn't bother with gaming..

Both games and movies can sometimes sound very good...
Much like with music it varies from piece to piece.

Apr 15, 2014 at 6:41 AM Post #407 of 539
  I believe it will serve You well, You won't need any amp for it, maybe in future, but amp will not make it sound better, as SB Z DAC will be Your bottleneck. I'am using ZxR for music and games, Z have 100% same software features so should be as good in games. If Yuo most into games/music don't try to go super Hi-End it is not the case, games as source for sound is rarely a very HQ source, maybe movies, but IMO movies in headphones is not as enjoyable as external set-up in any case :)

And Aune T1 won't give You game features like DolbyHeadphone or Creative SBX surround, witch is very useful in game. Only if You will send processed signal to Aune RCA inputs.

I believe only music can open external dac/amp potential, wouldn't bother with gaming..

I have not had the need to try something like this yet, however you should be able to have surround sound processing on an external dac/amp:
http://www.razerzone.com/surround

So, best of both worlds?  I think they are :)

Apr 15, 2014 at 6:58 AM Post #408 of 539
  I have not had the need to try something like this yet, however you should be able to have surround sound processing on an external dac/amp:

Yep, with this stuff it is possible, i just don't know how good it is, have not tried it :) But somewhere in last pages of ZxR thread one guy made large comparison between different surround systems, maybe Razer soft also there.

Apr 15, 2014 at 7:00 AM Post #409 of 539

Hi. So you believe it's best to buy a sound card. I saw some reports that gaming is good to have Dolby / Surround sound cards that provide. Some believe so a sound card is better than amp / dac, correct?
What you say about the Xonar Essence ST? It's as good as the Sound Blaster ZXR? I found the Xonar for a better price ...
Thank you.

Apr 15, 2014 at 7:26 AM Post #410 of 539

So I can have an amp / dac and surround at the same time without having a sound card? The amp / dac provides dolby headphone? Excuse my lack of understanding, I'm newcomer.

Apr 15, 2014 at 7:27 AM Post #411 of 539

So I can have an amp/dac and surround at the same time without having a sound card? The amp/dac provides dolby headphone? Excuse my lack of understanding, I'm newcomer.

Apr 15, 2014 at 8:00 AM Post #412 of 539
  So I can have an amp/dac and surround at the same time without having a sound card? The amp/dac provides dolby headphone? Excuse my lack of understanding, I'm newcomer.

Hey, in this case Razor software makes surround (taking 5.1 channels from game and downmixes it to 2.0, at least it SOHULD do so) and outputs it in stereo format to whatever it can output, so then your ext. AMP/DAC do his work. I bought ZxR just to save space on table and SBX surround features for games.

In any case i don't say it is superior over quality external amp/dac (99% it is inferior :) ) People say Xonar STX sound better out of the box then ZxR but again, there is different in surround, ASUS have DolbyHeadphone ant Creative SBX surround. 

Tho choice You wan't to make have many options and no correct answer as mostly depend's on Your believes.

Apr 15, 2014 at 8:04 AM Post #413 of 539

There is sound processing software that would work with an external dac/amp.  I have not done extensive testing, so I cannot comment on latency, etc.

I do not think that external dac/amps can provide Dolby alone, but there are other proprietary sound enhancers such as the one I linked above.

If you want Dolby specifically, can get a cheap Xonar, such as the DG, and feed you DAC/Amp through the optical transport. This reduces the number of desktop choices you have, but meh 
biggrin.gif

Apr 19, 2014 at 12:24 AM Post #414 of 539
  Hey, in this case Razor software makes surround (taking 5.1 channels from game and downmixes it to 2.0, at least it SOHULD do so) and outputs it in stereo format to whatever it can output, so then your ext. AMP/DAC do his work. I bought ZxR just to save space on table and SBX surround features for games.

In any case i don't say it is superior over quality external amp/dac (99% it is inferior :) ) People say Xonar STX sound better out of the box then ZxR but again, there is different in surround, ASUS have DolbyHeadphone ant Creative SBX surround. 

Tho choice You wan't to make have many options and no correct answer as mostly depend's on Your believes.

Thank you. You're right, there are many options and many may be correct. I simplified my options between:
1. Yulong U100 + Razor Surround.
2. Asus DGX + O2
I think both can produce a good sound for games and movies with the ATH-A900X.

Apr 19, 2014 at 4:12 AM Post #415 of 539
  Hi. So you believe it's best to buy a sound card. I saw some reports that gaming is good to have Dolby / Surround sound cards that provide. Some believe so a sound card is better than amp /DAC, correct?
What you say about the Xonar Essence ST? It's as good as the Sound Blaster ZxR? I found the Xonar for a better price ...
Thank you.

The Xonar Essence STX/ST and SB-ZxR use some of the same audio hardware, so any difference in audio quality is going to be very very minor.
You can replace the three op-amps (operational amplifiers) on those cards, for around $55 you could replace the op-amps on either card, so it easy to make one card sound better then the other.
Personally I prefer the Xonar cards, so if you get a really good price on a Essence ST, go for it.
What price is it?

Apr 19, 2014 at 4:26 AM Post #416 of 539
  Thank you. You're right, there are many options and many may be correct. I simplified my options between:
1. Yulong U100 + Razor Surround.
2. Asus DGX + O2
I think both can produce a good sound for games and movies with the ATH-A900X.

You might consider spend a little more and getting a used  Xonar DX or D1 sound card, to go with the O2 amplifier.
The Xonar DX/D1 comes with a better DAC chip, then the DGX.

Apr 19, 2014 at 5:11 AM Post #417 of 539

You might consider spend a little more and getting a used  Xonar DX or D1 sound card, to go with the O2 amplifier.
The Xonar DX/D1 comes with a better DAC chip, then the DGX.

I recommended Pedrosotto the DG because he can use it as an optical transport for his future DAC > Amp, as the DG will provide the Dolby effects he is looking for.  He might never even need to upgrade past the DG, and I know many people who end their journey there 
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 19, 2014 at 11:41 AM Post #418 of 539
  I recommended Pedrosotto the DG because he can use it as an optical transport for his future DAC > Amp, as the DG will provide the Dolby effects he is looking for.  He might never even need to upgrade past the DG, and I know many people who end their journey there 
smily_headphones1.gif

In fact, I never heard Dolby Headphone, so do not know if I will like the sound. I just know people recommend Dolby for games and movies. But there are players who live well without dolby, correct? I have to listen to see if I'll like it. So first I think I'll buy a DGX and Yulong U100 or O2. If I enjoy Dolby I sell the amp / dac.

Apr 19, 2014 at 11:44 AM Post #419 of 539
  The Xonar Essence STX/ST and SB-ZxR use some of the same audio hardware, so any difference in audio quality is going to be very very minor.
You can replace the three op-amps (operational amplifiers) on those cards, for around $55 you could replace the op-amps on either card, so it easy to make one card sound better then the other.
Personally I prefer the Xonar cards, so if you get a really good price on a Essence ST, go for it.
What price is it?

I found a xonar essence of US200, 00 on ebay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back