Audio Technica ATH-A900X Discussion Thread (Formerly A-900X Review)
Apr 8, 2014 at 6:41 PM Post #391 of 539
Hope I'm posting this in the right place, I've used search function but no dice. I've been looking into ordering these but the only thing holding me back is seeing "discontinued by manufacturer" on some sites like amazon n what not. Question being if theres any info on whether or not there will be a successor/updated version. Similar to the m50x being the m50 but with a detachable cable or something to that nature. It doesn't say discontinued on AT's site though, anyone have any input? Thanks in advance.

Does not matter much if you get them cheap :wink:
The A900x is my favorite sealed full sized headphone.  

There may be a revised version in the future, you could shoot an email to Audio-Technica

Apr 8, 2014 at 10:47 PM Post #392 of 539
Does not matter much if you get them cheap :wink:
The A900x is my favorite sealed full sized headphone.  

There may be a revised version in the future, you could shoot an email to Audio-Technica

I did post a question on the a900x overview page thinking I'd get a quicker response, still waiting for a reply. If say they did release a newer model with just a detachable cable would it be best to buy a pair now while they're cheap? Is the cable of good enough quality to not need a detachable cable?

Apr 9, 2014 at 12:15 AM Post #393 of 539
I did post a question on the a900x overview page thinking I'd get a quicker response, still waiting for a reply. If say they did release a newer model with just a detachable cable would it be best to buy a pair now while they're cheap? Is the cable of good enough quality to not need a detachable cable?

Cable is of excellent quality.  Its always nice to have a headphone with a detachable cable though

Apr 9, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #394 of 539
  Cable is of excellent quality.  Its always nice to have a headphone with a detachable cable though

Good to know! Well, I finally clicked the button on them. Total being $153.00 off amazon, seems like a steal considering how much praise and credibility I see these getting. But for that price I hope theyre not fake or defective lol, the seller has good ratings so my fingers are crossed.

Apr 9, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #395 of 539
  Good to know! Well, I finally clicked the button on them. Total being $153.00 off amazon, seems like a steal considering how much praise and credibility I see these getting. But for that price I hope theyre not fake or defective lol, the seller has good ratings so my fingers are crossed.

They are pretty good. The comfort is another question, they may or may not fit you well... Might require some tweaking.

Apr 9, 2014 at 5:52 PM Post #396 of 539
Just received my pair today, love the sound so far. The wing system, if I wanted to put up with it for a little while likely would have been alright, but it felt like the headphones were resting on my ears too much instead of any support, but wasn't sagging very low or anything, likely thanks to my incredibly strong ears. RUbber band seems to be working great so far. 

Apr 13, 2014 at 11:54 PM Post #398 of 539
  Hello! I bought a ATH-A900X for use in PC gaming. I need to buy amp / dac or sound card? If yes, what buy? Thx

That is entirely up to you!  You will probably appreciate them more if you upgrade to a magni/modi, o2/odac, or aune t1 combination.  I would avoid sound cards and portable solutions in your case.

Sound cards are not the best value, and they are more likely to suffer interference from inside your chassis.  Portable solutions such as the E17 are not that great of a value either. 

Apr 14, 2014 at 1:27 AM Post #399 of 539
  That is entirely up to you!  You will probably appreciate them more if you upgrade to a magni/modi, o2/odac, or aune t1 combination.  I would avoid sound cards and portable solutions in your case.

Sound cards are not the best value, and they are more likely to suffer interference from inside your chassis.  Portable solutions such as the E17 are not that great of a value either. 

Ok thank you! Liked the Aune t1. Is this really necessary? I saw some comments about A900X not need amp/dac as other headphones ... 
A sound card ASUS Xonar DGX is not enough for games and movies?

Apr 14, 2014 at 1:57 AM Post #400 of 539
  Ok thank you! Liked the Aune t1. Is this really necessary? I saw some comments about A900X not need amp/dac as other headphones ... 
A sound card ASUS Xonar DGX is not enough for games and movies?

I have the DG.  The Aune T1 is noticeably superior, but not necessary.  If you ever feel like upgrading in the future, focus on something like the Aune instead of buying new headphones.  The A900x with a good source is probably all you will ever need :wink:

Apr 14, 2014 at 3:38 AM Post #401 of 539
I have the DG.  The Aune T1 is noticeably superior, but not necessary.  If you ever feel like upgrading in the future, focus on something like the Aune instead of buying new headphones.  The A900x with a good source is probably all you will ever need :wink:

This is true, unless you wanna venture into open headphones :wink:

Apr 14, 2014 at 4:08 AM Post #402 of 539
This is true, unless you wanna venture into open headphones
wink.gif

Do you use a PC?  
biggrin.gif

My 6850 is the real issue during video games.  Too much noise!

Apr 14, 2014 at 4:33 AM Post #403 of 539
Do you use a PC?  :D
My 6850 is the real issue during video games.  Too much noise!

I do and believe me my old PS3 used to make more noise.
It's a well ventilated, acoustically well shielded gaming rig.
If it's a graphics card noise, consider buying a better fan, another fan or a new case :wink:

Apr 15, 2014 at 3:52 AM Post #405 of 539
I believe it will serve You well, You won't need any amp for it, maybe in future, but amp will not make it sound better, as SB Z DAC will be Your bottleneck. I'am using ZxR for music and games, Z have 100% same software features so should be as good in games. If Yuo most into games/music don't try to go super Hi-End it is not the case, games as source for sound is rarely a very HQ source, maybe movies, but IMO movies in headphones is not as enjoyable as external set-up in any case :)

And Aune T1 won't give You game features like DolbyHeadphone or Creative SBX surround, witch is very useful in game. Only if You will send processed signal to Aune RCA inputs.

I believe only music can open external dac/amp potential, wouldn't bother with gaming..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back