audio-technica ATH-A2000X
Feb 3, 2009 at 7:21 PM Post #91 of 399
I also have problems with the fit, but nothing that couldn't be alleviated with a bit of padding at the top. A friend of mine isn't that lucky, these things simply wouldn't seal at all on his head. He seems to have an entirely incompatible head shape. The W1000 was much better from the start, my friend didn't have any problems with these.

Here's a measurement I made for the A2000X. It might help to categorize these somewhat:
A2000X_mod.png

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk3
I'm curious how they stack up to the older greats, like L3000 and Wxx series.

In fact, they sound a little bit like the L3000. It makes sense when you look at this graph:
L3000_rmaa_1.png

Make no mistake because subjectively, the A2000X still sounds significantly brighter. Also, the fit adds a lot to the distinctive experience listening to either headphone, it's just that they're not worlds apart sonically.

Feb 3, 2009 at 8:11 PM Post #92 of 399
Quote:

Originally Posted by big-ban /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also have problems with the fit, but nothing that couldn't be alleviated with a bit of padding at the top.

For better fit I move the headband (on top of my head) forward and the earcups slightly back so that the headphones are sitting slightly inclined.

Feb 7, 2009 at 6:22 AM Post #94 of 399
I realize this a closed headphone, but could you do a comparison with the AD2000's? I really love my AD2000s since moving on from my old closed A900's and use them with the AT-HA25d amplifier. However, nearly a year has passe since the purchase of these AD2000s, and with a new AT release, I can't help but be interested.

In terms of overall quality, and the different variables of the sound, how would you compare the two? I am assuming I guess that you have actually heard the AD2000s
tongue.gif

Feb 7, 2009 at 7:29 PM Post #97 of 399
Quote:

I realize this a closed headphone, but could you do a comparison with the AD2000's?

Quote:

how is A2000x sound signature when compare with the sister A950LTD or A1000 ?

I can’t compare the A2000X with the headphones mentioned above. Compared with the W5000 the A2000X sounds brighter. However: I never owned a headphone with such beautiful highs without sibilance. The W5000 sounds warmer. When the W5000 is a Bösendorfer piano; the A5000X is a Steinway. I must admit: I never heard a Bösendorfer live; I’m referring to a recording. I prefer the Steinway.

Feb 7, 2009 at 9:20 PM Post #98 of 399
For anybody else who has listened, the AD2000's are typically classified as a very bright headphone, correct?

Feb 9, 2009 at 9:33 PM Post #101 of 399
Quote:

Originally Posted by null /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any more impressions from anyone, esp. versus the w5000? Why is the w5000 costing $300 more from audiocubes

Better or should I say more expensive materials being used? I don't know I'm just guessing, I haven't heard either of them.

Feb 10, 2009 at 1:49 PM Post #103 of 399
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can absolutely support your recommendation of the Trafomatic.

I was wondering if you have any first hand experience with Audio-Technica cans combined with Trafomatic headphone amp? If so, which models?

I currently have the SinglePower MPX3 (not too popular here nowadays) which I absolutely love with the w1000, but I need another amp and I've been thinking about the following, since the are kinda in the same price range:

Trafomatic Head One
Yamamoto HA-02
WooAudio 6
Rudistor RP5.3

Any experience with those amplifiers? Anyone?

Feb 10, 2009 at 4:02 PM Post #104 of 399
I only have experience with the Yamamoto amp, it is a very nice match with the W1000. It is also nice looking if that matters to you. In fact, I am listening to that combination as I type.

I have no experience at all with the other amps that you mentioned.

Feb 10, 2009 at 7:55 PM Post #105 of 399
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was wondering if you have any first hand experience with Audio-Technica cans combined with Trafomatic headphone amp? If so, which models?

I currently have the SinglePower MPX3 (not too popular here nowadays) which I absolutely love with the w1000, but I need another amp and I've been thinking about the following, since the are kinda in the same price range:

Trafomatic Head One
Yamamoto HA-02
WooAudio 6
Rudistor RP5.3

Any experience with those amplifiers? Anyone?

I only have the ATH W10VTG right now (used to have AD2000, but I sold it before I got the Trafomatic).
It matches very well with the Trafomatic. Mids are pretty forward, but very beautifull. Highs are musical without any sibbilance.
I have no experience with the other amps, but for low impedance phones you might also want to look at X-CAN v8.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back