audio-technica ATH-A2000X
Feb 17, 2009 at 10:46 PM Post #106 of 399
Just a heads up, the earpads from A2000x seem to be up for sale separately on AC2 now.

Feb 17, 2009 at 11:10 PM Post #107 of 399
Hearing lots of awesome about them, what do you reckon, would they fit the W5000's? I don't want to give that a try any time soon, with the costs probably being exhuberant.

Feb 17, 2009 at 11:16 PM Post #108 of 399
I recall someone saying before that they fit on a different AT woody, so I reckon they should fit on your W5000 too, since most/all of them have a 53mm driver and similar size housing.
The pads of the other series are interchangeable also.

I ordered a set for my upcomining L3000.
From the pics I've gotten the pads on that headphone are still in good condition, but I wanted to try these pads the moment I saw the pictures of them on the A2000x.

I think they look very comfortable.

Edit: they are not that expensive compared to the real leather earpads.
They cost 49 + 18 USD shipping to Europe, comparatively the leather earpads are 80+.

Feb 17, 2009 at 11:22 PM Post #109 of 399
Yeah, coincidentally, the W5000's are the most expensive ones of them all. And they're supposed to be rubbish, too.

I'll consider it if I am unhappy about the W5000's stock ones.

Mar 3, 2009 at 3:59 PM Post #110 of 399
Got the pads today, with a nice 27 Euro customs bill, which nearly makes them as expensive as the leather pads.
Don't have a phone to put them on yet, but I pressed them against my ear, and they feel very soft.

They are significantly deeper than the usual AT pads (like several mm), so this may alleviate some comfort problems people have.

Mar 3, 2009 at 11:48 PM Post #111 of 399
I'm also interested in how they compare to ath-ad2000. I want an ath-ad2000 with a bit more bass and a slightly more solid sound that doesn't distort at higher volumes.

Mar 4, 2009 at 10:42 AM Post #112 of 399
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brando /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm also interested in how they compare to ath-ad2000. I want an ath-ad2000 with a bit more bass and a slightly more solid sound that doesn't distort at higher volumes.

x2... which one is better for metal ? which one has more forward sound ?

Mar 4, 2009 at 4:30 PM Post #113 of 399
Quote:

Originally Posted by winzzz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2... which one is better for metal ? which one has more forward sound ?

The ATH-A2000X has no forward sound, but I think that’s also due to the used interconnects. I will examine that.

Apr 5, 2009 at 10:16 PM Post #115 of 399
Quote:

The ATH-A2000X has no forward sound, but I think that’s also due to the used interconnects. I will examine that.

What I find most compelling about the A2000X is that they translate even subtle changes in the upstream components (cabling and amping) into really sonic differences.

I changed my interconnects (v.d.Hul The Orchid) into:
v.d.Hull The First Ultimate (carbon): same sound signature, but compared to the Orchid (copper) a little congested.
Siltech SQ28 Classic (silver): more brilliance, some sibilance. Compared to the Orchid: less soundstage.
Cardas Quadlink 5-C (copper): very musical but laid-back. Compared to the Orchid: slow.

I did the same changes to my speaker-setup changing the interconnects between the CDP and the amplifier.
I noticed the same differences but less obviously.
Honestly, I could live with all of them. And I did! The Orchids are my last purchase in the cable-world.

Conclusion: Changing the interconnect has more impact on a headphone setup than a speaker setup. Listening to classical music I recommend to use a good copper interconnect to a SS amplifier.

Regards

May 2, 2009 at 10:22 AM Post #116 of 399
I have w5000 and love it. It has a lot of detail and richness, and for me they are very very good. I think they are a lot better thar gs1000 or HD650.But w5000 have a problem that I am not sure how to express, a coldness or lack of warm. Reading some theads I found that most people feel the same. I dream with w5000 with this problem solved, and try to figure if it can be the AX2000. Some post in this thead seem to suggest so. Any comment will be welcome. Pardon for my bad english

May 2, 2009 at 12:31 PM Post #117 of 399
Quote:

Originally Posted by Artmon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What I find most compelling about the A2000X is that they translate even subtle changes in the upstream components (cabling and amping) into really sonic differences.

I changed my interconnects (v.d.Hul The Orchid) into:
v.d.Hull The First Ultimate (carbon): same sound signature, but compared to the Orchid (copper) a little congested.
Siltech SQ28 Classic (silver): more brilliance, some sibilance. Compared to the Orchid: less soundstage.
Cardas Quadlink 5-C (copper): very musical but laid-back. Compared to the Orchid: slow.

I did the same changes to my speaker-setup changing the interconnects between the CDP and the amplifier.
I noticed the same differences but less obviously.
Honestly, I could live with all of them. And I did! The Orchids are my last purchase in the cable-world.

Conclusion: Changing the interconnect has more impact on a headphone setup than a speaker setup. Listening to classical music I recommend to use a good copper interconnect to a SS amplifier.

Regards

I was just discussing ATs earlier, and wondering if there was a pair out there I might actually like. I agree with your opinion of the VDH cables. It's interesting to read someone's opinions who has tried other brands. I've decided I only live once and picked up a SH pair of Nordost Heimdalls to see how they compare to the Orchids.

May 2, 2009 at 1:48 PM Post #118 of 399
Quite a few impressions about A2000X v.s. W5000. How about against the W1000?

And, anyone who has A2000X and Yamamoto Soundcraft HA-02? How does it compare to the W1000 (or W5000) and the Yamamoto combo? Any idea? The new AT cans are not available locally here so I won't be able to do a demo
frown.gif

Thanks!

(BTW, will they make a "woody" version of these cans?
smily_headphones1.gif
)

May 2, 2009 at 10:11 PM Post #119 of 399
Quote:

Originally Posted by Santamaria /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have w5000 and love it. It has a lot of detail and richness, and for me they are very very good. I think they are a lot better thar gs1000 or HD650.But w5000 have a problem that I am not sure how to express, a coldness or lack of warm. Reading some theads I found that most people feel the same. I dream with w5000 with this problem solved, and try to figure if it can be the AX2000. Some post in this thead seem to suggest so. Any comment will be welcome. Pardon for my bad english

In my opinion (and in my setup) the ATH-A2000X doesn’t sound warmer then the W5000. I own both. The A2000X sounds more precise.
What’s your favourite music? For classical I prefer the A2000X.

May 15, 2009 at 6:02 AM Post #120 of 399
How is the Ath-A2000x different from the ATH-A900Ti? Im comparing the specs and it looks like the magnets in the drivers are the only things different (pamenjuru vs. nedymium). Anyone compared the two?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back