Audio-GD Reference 5.2 (New Balanced 4x PCM1704UK DAC)
Jul 19, 2012 at 7:14 PM Post #91 of 300
Mine has arrived!!! 
tongue.gif

Out of the box I paired with Auralic Taurus amp (not mine, unfortunately) and the result is fantastic, I could I stay with this rig for a looong time. Although I cannot compare with my DAC19 as I am using it with other amp and balanced outputs, sound feature is quite similar, detailed but natural, musical but not too coloured for my taste. The detail and  timbrics are amazing, realistic and becomes into an addictive sound. Soundstage, at least first impressions seems to be improved too, more precise and it seems bit larger. I am starting to wonder 5.2 potential when it will be fully burnt.

I have to do a lot of tests and burning, actually using it by coaxial with Hiface2, so I will test with USB and as well with SE output to compare it with DAC19. I didn't ask to Kingwa so I don't know if these units are burnt 100 hours before shipped like DAC19 ones, I guess total of 300/400 hours will be needed too.

As has been said, it needs some time of heating at least right now, a little bit annoying as for me plug&play is main advantage against tubes, but when listening and enjoying it, it's easy to forget about that. By the way, mine keeps all settings after being 1 or 2 days switched off.

More to come after some hundred hours...
popcorn.gif

Jul 19, 2012 at 8:27 PM Post #92 of 300
Quote:
About a year ago I said no. Not sure what changed since then but this is the only time in my audio journey that I said I don't need anything else. I don't need balanced, I don't need a tube amp. It is a good pairing because Auditor/Phonitor just relays the excellent DAC in Ref 5. Smoothness, darkness (in a good way, not a hint of brightness), extremely well defined bass, musical, detailed. I can actually hear quality going from this DAC. I needed a year to get fully used to the DAC, before it I preferred Wolfson DAC, I actually put it on sale once, locally. Removed it in a couple of hours. I think this DAC needs a lot of hours to get fully burned in or my mind needed a lot of time to adjust but probably both. It sounds better (smoother and more dynamic) when its on for a couple of hours. Its a must have DAC.

Waz up .Sup....Been a while...I took six months off away from head-fi and about another 6 months before that from visiting the A-GD site...lol...Addictive.

So now I browse the dac forum and I see the 1704s are back...Incredible...Great, but bad for my wallet...  Went on the A-GD site again and could not resist, so ordered the NFB-16 and I believe Kingwa advised it was ready to ship...

Good times!!!

Quote:
Mine has arrived!!! 
tongue.gif

Out of the box I paired with Auralic Taurus amp (not mine, unfortunately) and the result is fantastic, I could I stay with this rig for a looong time. Although I cannot compare with my DAC19 as I am using it with other amp and balanced outputs, sound feature is quite similar, detailed but natural, musical but not too coloured for my taste. The detail and  timbrics are amazing, realistic and becomes into an addictive sound. Soundstage, at least first impressions seems to be improved too, more precise and it seems bit larger. I am starting to wonder 5.2 potential when it will be fully burnt.

I have to do a lot of tests and burning, actually using it by coaxial with Hiface2, so I will test with USB and as well with SE output to compare it with DAC19. I didn't ask to Kingwa so I don't know if these units are burnt 100 hours before shipped like DAC19 ones, I guess total of 300/400 hours will be needed too.

As has been said, it needs some time of heating at least right now, a little bit annoying as for me plug&play is main advantage against tubes, but when listening and enjoying it, it's easy to forget about that. By the way, mine keeps all settings after being 1 or 2 days switched off.

More to come after some hundred hours...
popcorn.gif

Outstanding  D2..Great to hear...Looking forward to your impressions...I love the A-GD gear...I remember when I started the NFB-2 & NFB-3 thread almost 2 years ago...

Keeps getting better...
beerchug.gif

This pic taken 09-30-10 when I received my NFB-3......(DAC-19DSP & NFB-3 & C-2)....Good times!!!

Jul 20, 2012 at 12:29 AM Post #93 of 300
I have a good 200 hours on my ref 5.2 now and in about the last 10 hours it seems to have gone to a new level of performance.  Even more detail and quite smooth and musical.  Listening to Yes - close to the edge and the information coming from these 16/44 tracks is amazing!

Jul 20, 2012 at 9:33 AM Post #95 of 300
Quote:

Outstanding  D2..Great to hear...Looking forward to your impressions...I love the A-GD gear...I remember when I started the NFB-2 & NFB-3 thread almost 2 years ago...

Keeps getting better...
beerchug.gif

This pic taken 09-30-10 when I received my NFB-3......(DAC-19DSP & NFB-3 & C-2)....Good times!!!

beerchug.gif
 thanks HeatFan, I am becoming a big fan of A-GD too,  and I hope it takes you less than 6 months next time!!!
wink.gif

Aug 2, 2012 at 2:54 AM Post #99 of 300
Hello HeatFan! I have noticed you are selling everything but AGD :D I constantly keep on checking their site and there are so many goodies I wan't to buy but shipping and taxes would kill my small Euro wallet. :tongue:
How time passes quickly, I feel like the NFB2 and 3 promo were released not long ago...

Aug 2, 2012 at 9:24 AM Post #100 of 300
i will give more details and comparsion with my lite dac 83 after more burn-in hours. . my initial impression is : i will keep both dac. lite dac 83 and ref 5.2

though lite is 24/96 and ref 5.2 is 24/192.  both use 4 pcs pcm-1704 and those 2 are very very top notch dac.  at least , now i have real comparsion and no regret to buy lite dac 83.

one remarkable thing needs to share. because my master 6 / ref 5.2 have cast in/out put , got Kingwa cast cable price for  usd 18.00 and few months ago, i "wasted" ( not spent!!!) usd 200 to buy a silver sonic balance cable.

result is no no no big difference. really waste money.  now got 2 dac 2 cables and make me feel better.

stay tune.

Aug 2, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #102 of 300
Been playing around with most of the Audio GD gear for the last week, kingwa sure does make some quality gear at very reasonable prices.

just curious, did you recommend the cabel or did Kingwa contact you? just wish it was available faster :p

Aug 3, 2012 at 12:48 AM Post #103 of 300
Quote:
Hello HeatFan! I have noticed you are selling everything but AGD
biggrin.gif
I constantly keep on checking their site and there are so many goodies I wan't to buy but shipping and taxes would kill my small Euro wallet.
tongue.gif

How time passes quickly, I feel like the NFB2 and 3 promo were released not long ago...

Hi .Sup.

Yes, it seems like the promo was just the other day.  Time flies indeed...Yes, I have sold off a few things but not the A-GD gear.  I took six months off from head-fi and when I came back, Kingwa had been rolling again.  This Ref 5.2 does looks great and always wanted one of his 1704s but right now my balanced setup is keeping me happy.  I was in the market now more for an all-in-one with a small footprint with line-ins, so l went with the NFB-16 and it has performed very well indeed.  I use it all around the house since it's just plug and go...Then, I wanted a small footprint with a few inputs and maybe a pre-out, TE8802, so I ordered the NFB-15.1.  Should be shipping today...lol....
I think I'm a fan...

Cheers!!!

Aug 3, 2012 at 3:04 AM Post #105 of 300
Do you mean the internal wire upgrade option Kingwa offers? As the UK dealer, i have all my stock internally wired by Kingwa, with my own wire, i guess he wants to offer customers the option also.

yes, the internal wire upgrade. i still wish he offered it faster though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back