Audio-GD Reference 5.2 (New Balanced 4x PCM1704UK DAC)
Jul 8, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #63 of 300
yea, 24/7 seems pretty silly plus it wastes power and keeps your DAC 'hot'.  At the least, you can turn it on when you get home from work (or school) in case you wind up listening and then turn it off before you go to bed.  It just seem like the average person would have at least 16 hours a day when they couldn't possibly listen to it.

Jul 9, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #64 of 300
Some electronic units hasn't got switch off like Benchmark DAC, I ve got mine which is almost 6 years old, former owner and myself left it always plugged (just unplugged for vacation time, long weekends and so on) and any problem, but maybe these kind of units are specifically built for this.

BTW finally I pulled the trigger 
rolleyes.gif

Jul 9, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #65 of 300
The longer a capacitor is used for, and the higher the temps it is subjected to, the shorter its lifespan is. I note that lifespan does not necessarily infer outright failure (as capacitors can last fo well beyond their rated lifespan) but they do exhibit higher leakage and higher ESR and increasing/reducing capacitance in some cases. For this reason, I don't leave my gear switched on for longer than necessary.

Jul 10, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #66 of 300
Me thinks you will be glad you did. We would like to hear your impressions whenever you get around to writing them. :)

Quote:
Some electronic units hasn't got switch off like Benchmark DAC, I ve got mine which is almost 6 years old, former owner and myself left it always plugged (just unplugged for vacation time, long weekends and so on) and any problem, but maybe these kind of units are specifically built for this.

BTW finally I pulled the trigger 
rolleyes.gif

I received a reply back from Kingwa regarding the 'save' feature of the DAC;

Please try to push tight the power cable, or change to another outlet.
The chip if can memory, it will always active. But maybe have some effect cause the data wrong.
And please ensure you want to stop push any key ,after least 6 seconds then power off.
The memory have 100,000 times life. We setting memory active after stop push the key 5 seconds just for longer the life.
Kingwa

What I ended up doing is after powering up the DAC, I set my inputs to where I wanted them and after 10 seconds powered the DAC down. The settings were retained for over 24h.
Kingwa was also nice enough to test this feature on 10 other DAC's prior to responding back. Talk about service. He truly is a stand up guy!

From rags to riches :)

Jul 11, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #67 of 300
Quote:
Me thinks you will be glad you did. We would like to hear your impressions whenever you get around to writing them. :)

Thanks a lot rezolver, I hope too
wink.gif

My only concern is DAC19 is a piece difficult to beat in quality/cost ratio, but any improvement on it it worths, and I am sure Kingwa did it in this 5.2.

Jul 11, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #68 of 300
Why does the DAC19 keep coming up?  Didn't he stop making those like 18+ months ago or am I confused?  When it was mentioned the first couple of times I just assumed it was the nfb-2 we were talking about.  I realize the DAC19 had the same chip as the ref5 but you can't recommend getting the 19 instead if you can't buy one...

Jul 12, 2012 at 5:02 AM Post #69 of 300
Why does the DAC19 keep coming up?  Didn't he stop making those like 18+ months ago or am I confused?  When it was mentioned the first couple of times I just assumed it was the nfb-2 we were talking about.  I realize the DAC19 had the same chip as the ref5 but you can't recommend getting the 19 instead if you can't buy one...

In Europe its still being sold.

Jul 12, 2012 at 6:24 AM Post #70 of 300
Quote:

The DAC19DSP was re-released earlier this year, but is now discontinued once again. I doubt that it will be re-released ever again.

Jul 13, 2012 at 7:24 AM Post #74 of 300
That's it, I got mine from Audio gd (V5) early this year, I can't be more pleased with it, but I went for 5.2 as I 've got recently a balanced amp.

I did the same thing! DAC19DSP at first, and now the Ref 5 (original version). Both are great DACs!

Jul 13, 2012 at 11:46 AM Post #75 of 300
What are the benefits of having 4 DAC chips?  I can understand where having two would allow 1 to be used for left and 1 to be used for the right channel, but what are those other two chips doing? Just hanging out being cool until Quadraphonic systems catch on (remember those?)?

Also, just an FYI but Audio-GD now has another pcm1704uk DAC out that can be had with 2 chips for like $750 or 4 for $900.  I wonder how they would compare to this DAC?

Peace.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back