Audio-GD Reference 5.2 (New Balanced 4x PCM1704UK DAC)
Jul 3, 2012 at 9:45 AM Post #46 of 300
I received the 5.2 in the mail yesterday.  Loaded the drivers on my EeePc.  J. River does not like ASIO output mode on the EeePC but WASAPI - Event style works fine. 

With the default jumper settings (8 x oversampling etc) the smooth and full sound is combined with exceptional detail.  A difficult combination.  Wow!  What can I say, so this is what a world class DAC sounds like.  Man have I been missing out!

FLAC > EeePC > Audio-gd Reference 5.2 > Yamaha C-2x > Yamaha M-2 > Soliloquy 6.5

Jul 3, 2012 at 11:26 AM Post #47 of 300
Welcome to the Audio-gd club
biggrin.gif

Jul 3, 2012 at 1:55 PM Post #48 of 300
Its an mazing DAC. Surprisingly it took me a year to really like it but now I think its the best DAC on the planet.

Jul 3, 2012 at 11:21 PM Post #49 of 300
Its an mazing DAC. Surprisingly it took me a year to really like it but now I think its the best DAC on the planet.

Out of curiosity, which other DACs did you compare it too?

Jul 4, 2012 at 12:50 AM Post #50 of 300
Quote:
Welcome to the Audio-gd club
biggrin.gif

Yes, I am now a strong supporter.  I have corresponded with Kingwa many times over the years and almost bought a DAC on several occasions. He is very patient and helpful.  I almost pulled the trigger on the 7.1 a couple of times, but as good as it is, I just can't justify that kind of coin (I have three kids in college).  When I heard about the 5.2 I could no longer resist.  Man I am glad I did, but now I can't help but wonder if the 7.1 is even better???

Jul 4, 2012 at 2:40 AM Post #52 of 300
Quote:
I received the 5.2 in the mail yesterday.  Loaded the drivers on my EeePc.  J. River does not like ASIO output mode on the EeePC but WASAPI - Event style works fine. 

With the default jumper settings (8 x oversampling etc) the smooth and full sound is combined with exceptional detail.  A difficult combination.  Wow!  What can I say, so this is what a world class DAC sounds like.  Man have I been missing out!

FLAC > EeePC > Audio-gd Reference 5.2 > Yamaha C-2x > Yamaha M-2 > Soliloquy 6.5

Stoutblock, what S/PDIF module did your Reference 5.2 came with, the default WM8805 or the optional and reputedly better sounding DIR9001? I have ordered the Reference 5.2 with the WM8805 as default but have also bought the DIR9001, to keep all my bases covered. It would be interesting to hear Impressions of users that have tried both and possible comparisons between them.

Jul 4, 2012 at 10:47 AM Post #53 of 300
I also bought both but have only listened to the wm8805.  I mostly listen to FLAC files with USB but have listened to a couple of CDs using SPDIF.  Certainly sounded just fine but will try the DIR9001 soon.

Kingwa also told me he preferred the sound of the DIR9001 if you don't mind 24/96. 

Jul 5, 2012 at 8:13 AM Post #54 of 300
Quote:
Stoutblock, what S/PDIF module did your Reference 5.2 came with, the default WM8805 or the optional and reputedly better sounding DIR9001? I have ordered the Reference 5.2 with the WM8805 as default but have also bought the DIR9001, to keep all my bases covered. It would be interesting to hear Impressions of users that have tried both and possible comparisons between them.

Unfortunately not using the Ref. 5.2 but I bought both modules for my NFB-17.2. With both the Lake People G100 and the WM8805 being slightly warm it made the bass too boomy with my HE-300s. Replaced the WM8805 with the DIR9001 and it leveled out the bass, so it suited my taste a lot better. Didn't really notice any difference to the mids and highs, but that may be because of the bass being so dominant.

Jul 6, 2012 at 4:04 PM Post #55 of 300
The audio gd site claims the Reference 5.2 saves the settings. From my experience, leaving the unit turned off for more than 5 minutes causes the settings to revert back to High Gain / USB input (H-U1).
I then have to change it back to low gain, digital #4 input (L-04)

Has anyone experienced similar results with their RE5.2 units?

edit: updated turn off time.

Jul 6, 2012 at 7:48 PM Post #56 of 300
Quote:
The audio gd site claims the Reference 5.2 saves the settings. From my experience, leaving the unit turned off for a day causes the settings to default back to High Gain / USB input.
I then have to change it back to low gain, digital #4 input.
Has anyone experienced similar results with their RE5.2 units?

this will be hard to try.... I almost never turn it off, and even if i turn it off wont even last a day
biggrin.gif

Jul 6, 2012 at 8:07 PM Post #57 of 300
Quote:

this will be hard to try.... I almost never turn it off, and even if i turn it off wont even last a day
biggrin.gif

Turns out that a day is too long, all it needs is around 5min and it loses its memory. Mind trying that for me IndiScent?

Thanks in advance.

Jul 6, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #58 of 300
Finally got the ASIO drivers to work with the USB input.  Just had to play with the buffer a little. 

So far I like the USB input (with 16/44 FLAC playing on J. River with ASIO) then I do the SPDIF coax input from my Music Hall Maverick.  It is very close. I guess I need to try the DIR9001.

Jul 6, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #59 of 300
Here are some config options for users with foobar.

For 24/192 playback via optical (tested with input 4 & 5), install the latest version of foobar and then install the ASIO v2.1.2 playback plug-in. Make sure you change your soundcard output to 192Khz in your cards control panel.

For 24/96 playback via optical (tested with input 4 & 5), install the latest foobar and then install WASAPI v2.1 plug-in. Make sure you change your soundcard's output to 96Khz in the cards control panel.
If you set the bit rate to something more than 96Khz, all you will get it static (and hurting ear drums) as this version of WASAPI seems to only support upto 96Khz playback. There is a beta version of this plugin in the works located here if you feel like experimenting.
If you decide to go with the 24/96 playback option, you will still be able to playback files above 96Khz, but they will be down-sampled to 96Khz.

On a side note, is it recommended to leave the DAC running 24/7 or is it best to shut it off when not in use?

edit: fixed links

Jul 7, 2012 at 2:40 AM Post #60 of 300
Quote:

Turns out that a day is too long, all it needs is around 5min and it loses its memory. Mind trying that for me IndiScent?

Thanks in advance.

ok, I tried turned it off for more than 5 minutes. the setting is saved on mine.
edit: after trying on longer time, the setting indeed not saving up

Quote:
On a side note, is it recommended to leave the DAC running 24/7 or is it best to shut it off when not in use?

edit: fixed links

many Adiou-Gd user believes their DAC sound best after about an hour of  'warm up' , so quite a few run their A-Gd DAC 24/7. for me, I usually too lazy to turn it off or just not leaving long enough to justify to turn it off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back