Audio-GD Reference 5.2 (New Balanced 4x PCM1704UK DAC)
Aug 3, 2012 at 4:38 AM Post #106 of 300
Quote:
Been playing around with most of the Audio GD gear for the last week, kingwa sure does make some quality gear at very reasonable prices.

I may of missed it but are you Audio-gd's new UK agent?

Aug 3, 2012 at 9:52 AM Post #108 of 300
I am the UK dealer, yes :)

That's nice. You are the closest dealer for me besides Poland but their site doesn't provide any info regarding Audio gd.

Aug 3, 2012 at 10:09 AM Post #109 of 300
Quote:
That's nice. You are the closest dealer for me besides Poland but their site doesn't provide any info regarding Audio gd.

I think that Audiophonics is closer 
tongue.gif

Aug 3, 2012 at 10:14 AM Post #110 of 300
I think that Audiophonics is closer :p

Oh yeah I forgot :p But I like English stores better because its easier to communicate.

Aug 6, 2012 at 7:33 AM Post #111 of 300
I just received a (used) Ref 5.2 and I'm comparing it with my DAC-19DSP. So far the 5.2 sound a bit down on bass compared to the lower model, and the highs are a little bit "harder" or "sharper". There's definitely more detail, but the overall sound from the 5.2 isn't as pleasant as the DAC-19. The 5.2 might still have some running in to do, it wouldn't have many hours on it yet. I have ordered a DIR9001 module from Kinwa to replace the stock WM8805 SPDIF receiver chip to see if that makes much difference (the DAC-19 has the DIR9001). I noted from the Audio-gd site that the with the WM8805 chip installed, the DSP on the 5.2 is set to NOS mode (as opposed to "8x oversampling" on the DAC-19). Once I get the DIR9001 installed I might play with that to see if it changes much.

Aug 20, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #112 of 300
Hello!!!

Mine has arrived about 1 month ago, and i'm very happy with it's performance, SQ!

I'm running in USB (TE8802) and it is very good. I found the assinc built-in USB so good, that i abandoned the Halide The Bridge in my "toys box" 
basshead.gif

I think this DAC perform better after about 150 hours. Right out the box, there is something harsh on the highs and it has a constricted/poor bass. But after 100~150 hours this DAC grow up a lot in terms of SQ, mostly in highs and bass. And i draw attention to the bass, because this frequency improved a lot, and i'm in love with this DAC just because it has a very good and hi-res bass.

I'm using it with a MacMini. There is a driver on Audio-GD site to USB. Is very important to know that in MacOsX there is a procedure to upgrade the driver. Mr. Kingwa sent to me this instructions:

"Find the old driver :
Finder ------ dictionary --------extensions --------audiogdUSBaudio .
Delete the audiogdUSBaudio driver , restart the mac. Install the new driver. Restart the mac."

Bye Friends.

And sorry about my poor English. It is not my primary language, but i'm always trying to improve.
wink.gif

Aug 21, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #115 of 300
Quote:
I noted from the Audio-gd site that the with the WM8805 chip installed, the DSP on the 5.2 is set to NOS mode (as opposed to "8x oversampling" on the DAC-19). Once I get the DIR9001 installed I might play with that to see if it changes much.

Hmmm, are you sure about this? I've looked over and over and I couldn't find any reference to this.
What I do know, however, is that the Reference 5.2's performance with the DIR9001 installed  is FAR better than with the WM8805, being altogether more Open, Dynamic and Transparent. The difference is so obvious that after removing the WM8805, I didn't even give it a second thought!
With the DIR9001, the Reference 5.2 is truly a reference quality DAC, comparable, if  not superior, to my "Vintage" and beloved balanced EAD DSP 9000 Pro MKIII, which would cost in excess of €7000 New, about 15 years ago! One crucial similarity is the employment of top notch, true Multi-bit Burr-Brown DAC chips. 20 bit in the case of the EAD...
And of course the 5.2 will decode 96 and 192KHz/24bit and accept PC sources, both of which the EAD cannot. It's an outstanding Audio component and at the asking price it has got absolutely no rivals. I'm very happy with it indeed! Congratulations to Qinghua are in order...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back