Audio-gd Phoenix balanced headphone amp.
May 22, 2010 at 9:37 AM Post #2,746 of 3,352
Here's the unpopular pfr-v1 balanced with 2ft canare L-2B2AT cable wearing white socks and red moisture barrier tape (???) and terminated in 4-pin mini-xlr, connected to unsheathed (for weight reduction) 10ft doublehelix nucleotide extension cable terminated in 4-pin xlr. The felt pads are for shifting weight to cheekbones :) very comfy now. Only a matter of time before phoenix blows up the small drivers with vibrating bass.

May 22, 2010 at 9:57 AM Post #2,747 of 3,352
t/sound - What beautiful balanced DX1000's!  WOW!

May 22, 2010 at 10:32 AM Post #2,748 of 3,352

Quote:
Here's the unpopular pfr-v1 balanced with 2ft canare L-2B2AT cable wearing white socks and red moisture barrier tape (???) and terminated in 4-pin mini-xlr, connected to unsheathed (for weight reduction) 10ft doublehelix nucleotide extension cable terminated in 4-pin xlr. The felt pads are for shifting weight to cheekbones :) very comfy now. Only a matter of time before phoenix blows up the small drivers with vibrating bass.

Nice one!  I've seen those phones, but didn't get a chance to try them.  Someone described them as mini-K1000s with it being a bit fiddly to get the position right for the bass tube to work.  How do you find them?

May 22, 2010 at 11:06 AM Post #2,749 of 3,352
It's very easy to wear correctly, just adjust headband slider so it's touching between ear and head like wearing glasses, then adjust bottom slider to properly insert into your ear.

They excel at mids and highs, but bass is extremely localized, positioning data is all in one spot via bass duct touching the entrance of your ear canal. Recabling improves bass, especially since stock cable is super thin litz wire, here is a pic comparing nucleotide vs stock litz wire http://yfrog.com/0vcimg0456uj

But it can be hard to recable, I had to resort to 25 awg canare wire because there was no way I could insert 24 awg doublehelix nucleotide there, and even then I had to strip 3" of insulation on one wire to insert into driver, then insulate again from the other side, so I highly recommend 27-28 awg max if anyone gets this and recable it. I think they are a good deal at $180 shipped price on US amazon, but to make it balanced is a PITA, even if you only reterminate the 4 ft stock cable since you have to remove enamel from the litz wire by melting with spare soldering tip you don't mind dirtying or sandpaper.

May 22, 2010 at 11:23 AM Post #2,750 of 3,352

Thanks Skylab, its all your fault you know. Your review and comments convinced me to get this Phone and you were spot on. I have had great fun thus far.
There has been a lot said about the stock DX 1000, and I was apprehensive about balancing, I am glad I had it done.

You know the Phoenix well, I just had to give it a go. I am still a bit unsteady with the change in sound, did not expect this big a change. I guess I'll soon stop worrying and just enjoy the spoils. I know its supposed to be easy to drive, but just can't get over the dynamics at 6/70 steps. I would have tried a balanced DNA Sonnet but the Audio gd synergy won out. I still might send the amp back for an upgraded volume control but will wait untill the new T1 has settled.

I like the Stockfisch label and Sara K " Don't I know you from somewhere" solo live is spooky good.

DX Shade.

Quote:
t/sound - What beautiful balanced DX1000's!  WOW!

May 22, 2010 at 3:48 PM Post #2,751 of 3,352

Quote:
Thanks Skylab, its all your fault you know. Your review and comments convinced me to get this Phone and you were spot on. I have had great fun thus far.
There has been a lot said about the stock DX 1000, and I was apprehensive about balancing, I am glad I had it done.

You know the Phoenix well, I just had to give it a go. I am still a bit unsteady with the change in sound, did not expect this big a change. I guess I'll soon stop worrying and just enjoy the spoils. I know its supposed to be easy to drive, but just can't get over the dynamics at 6/70 steps. I would have tried a balanced DNA Sonnet but the Audio gd synergy won out. I still might send the amp back for an upgraded volume control but will wait untill the new T1 has settled.

I like the Stockfisch label and Sara K " Don't I know you from somewhere" solo live is spooky good.

DX Shade.

What upgraded Vol Control are you talking about?

Phoenix has a proprietary and unique Vol ctrl and source selector.

May 22, 2010 at 6:05 PM Post #2,752 of 3,352
That's what I was wondering as well Les.

T/Sound the Phoenix already has the best volume control design you can build today....there is nothing better that I know of (for any price).

Peete.

May 22, 2010 at 8:26 PM Post #2,753 of 3,352

Peete, the volume control has degraded so badly that I can only use the remote to set the volume.                                                                                                                                                                                                                        If I am not mistaken you yourself  has changed this on your unit . This has been discussed before.                                                                                                                                                                                                                       However, I value the Phoenix so much I am prepared to send it back for repair and while they are at it , ask Mr Quinqua if its possible to use more of the volume control, a change in gain setting if you will.  Even using the K701 I only use 16/ 70 setting.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    Nothing wrong with the sound, I just can't turn the dial.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           Unfortunately I don't have your skills and lust after the changes you have made, alas I can only drool .
Quote:
That's what I was wondering as well Les.

T/Sound the Phoenix already has the best volume control design you can build today....there is nothing better that I know of (for any price).

Peete.

May 22, 2010 at 8:33 PM Post #2,754 of 3,352
I don't think you understand the Vol Control or some issues it has had.

There is a Rotary Encoder that has an excess of Oil in it for lubrication.  For a premium Encoder, they are only about $3-$6.

It needs the Encoder opened and cleaned or replaced.  Because it is a digital encoder, it is not an "upgrade".  There will be ZERO improvement to SQ.

You may find that yours is still usable if you press it inward when turning the knob.  I replaced mine and the new one started doing the same thing fairly quickly. 

So now I need to hunt one down or clean the oil out of the one on mine.

Too bad you don't know someone who can solder, it's just a few wires that need to be soldered.

May 22, 2010 at 9:22 PM Post #2,755 of 3,352

Thanks Les.
That clears a few things up.

Quote:
I don't think you understand the Vol Control or some issues it has had.

There is a Rotary Encoder that has an excess of Oil in it for lubrication.  For a premium Encoder, they are only about $3-$6.

It needs the Encoder opened and cleaned or replaced.  Because it is a digital encoder, it is not an "upgrade".  There will be ZERO improvement to SQ.

You may find that yours is still usable if you press it inward when turning the knob.  I replaced mine and the new one started doing the same thing fairly quickly. 

So now I need to hunt one down or clean the oil out of the one on mine.

Too bad you don't know someone who can solder, it's just a few wires that need to be soldered.

May 22, 2010 at 9:29 PM Post #2,756 of 3,352
Les: I thought you found an Elna that could potentially replace them? If not, maybe we'll have to hunt something down as an alternative.

May 22, 2010 at 9:34 PM Post #2,757 of 3,352
I did, but I lost the info.  I'll pull one of those encoders out and measure it and we'll hunt them down.  I'll shoot some more detailed pix of the encoder and post them.

May 22, 2010 at 11:58 PM Post #2,758 of 3,352
I had forgotten about the encoder issues......my mistake t/sound. This kind of repair is the perfect starter project for the budding DIY beginner !!!! Any one of us with the knowledge would be happy to walk you through it if need be.

It's funny though mine works just great but I hardly ever use the actual vol knob (which likely explains why it still works just fine) D'uh
redface.gif
. I'll see what I can come up with while Les tracks down the relevant info for the Elna part.

Les have a look at these....(not sure they are compatible but might as well post the link) http://www.cui.com/catfeatures.asp?catky=112362&subcatky1=994182&subcatky2=997832

Here is another tack entirely...magnetic encoder http://www.renishaw.com/en/magnetic-encoder-modules-offer-non-contact-alternative-to-potentiometers--10832

Peete.

May 23, 2010 at 6:21 PM Post #2,759 of 3,352

Quote:
I had forgotten about the encoder issues......my mistake t/sound. This kind of repair is the perfect starter project for the budding DIY beginner !!!! Any one of us with the knowledge would be happy to walk you through it if need be.

It's funny though mine works just great but I hardly ever use the actual vol knob (which likely explains why it still works just fine) D'uh
redface.gif
. I'll see what I can come up with while Les tracks down the relevant info for the Elna part.

Les have a look at these....(not sure they are compatible but might as well post the link) http://www.cui.com/catfeatures.asp?catky=112362&subcatky1=994182&subcatky2=997832

Here is another tack entirely...magnetic encoder http://www.renishaw.com/en/magnetic-encoder-modules-offer-non-contact-alternative-to-potentiometers--10832

Peete.

Peete, 
Do you use the remote because you do not sit near the amp?  The Phoenix really appeals to me, but it is so large that I will want to put it with my entertainment center.  (With a smaller balanced amp like the Lake People's V181, I would put it on my end table next to my chair.)  That puts me about 10-12 feet away.  The remote would work well for me, but I am concerned about losing some of the SQ if I add a balanced extension cable?  Do you use an extension cable?
Thanks

May 23, 2010 at 8:14 PM Post #2,760 of 3,352
XLR1: The whole point of balanced is that the common mode noise rejection allows for long cable runs, so it should be no problem.  That's why the huge cable runs you see at concerts are balanced. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back