Audio-gd Phoenix balanced headphone amp.
Sep 21, 2009 at 11:20 PM Post #2,386 of 3,352
That cover wont make any significant difference to air flow or temperature IMO unless there are corresponding air holes on the sides or bottom.

Sep 21, 2009 at 11:53 PM Post #2,387 of 3,352
Kingwa basically told me in so many words that he is doing this as a response to all the talk about his "failed" design technique for heat abatement, but that it is not needed. He wants to please us by responding to any concerns (shipping issues, etc.). I am having mine with a solid top as originally designed. Why would you guys let dust and bugs into the equipment if not needed? Who has had a failure of equipment due to heat- it's all conjecture?

Sep 22, 2009 at 12:14 AM Post #2,388 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I definitely want him to send me one of those.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seems like that cover is a good idea.

Quote:

Uh, yeah.
tongue.gif
It should have been there from day one.

The amp chassis doesn't need it, but the power supply surely does.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tosehee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That cover should be at the top and the bottom as default, IMO.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ServinginEcuador /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2, and by that I mean both top and bottom plates would be nice. Send mine with black screws and I'm all over it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That cover wont make any difference to air flow or temperature IMO unless there are corresponding air holes on the sides or bottom.

Quote:

Originally Posted by seaice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But it is quite sexy to have a winter and summer version, or fully dressed and semi nude, in other words.

Quote:

That cover wont make any significant difference to air flow or temperature IMO unless there are corresponding air holes on the sides or bottom.

Previously I shot IR Temps running with the top OFF, pretty much no difference. I don't think it will hurt anything, but all you folks holding your breath, need to breathe!

Sep 22, 2009 at 1:49 AM Post #2,390 of 3,352
Quote:

How could it not? If there are vents the air will dissipate quicker. Hot air rises.

And even if it didn't make a difference to component longevity, it will be easier for my apartment to cool the hot air that comes out of it since the aluminum block won't be a huge space heater. The chassis shouldn't get as hot if the heat is allowed to rise.

I've tested this with other equipment that has ventilation holes by covering them up and it always gets hotter. I understand that the Phoenix is supposed to act as a giant heat sink, but still....

Sep 22, 2009 at 2:14 AM Post #2,391 of 3,352
Phoenix will always generate the same amount of excess heat when on. If you were to say put a fan directly on top of a phoenix with vents the phoenix will technically become an even greater space heater because the heat is getting out of the phoenix into your room
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 22, 2009 at 2:18 AM Post #2,392 of 3,352
Quote:

How could it not? If there are vents the air will dissipate quicker. Hot air rises.

And even if it didn't make a difference to component longevity, it will be easier for my apartment to cool the hot air that comes out of it since the aluminum block won't be a huge space heater. The chassis shouldn't get as hot if the heat is allowed to rise.

I've tested this with other equipment that has ventilation holes by covering them up and it always gets hotter. I understand that the Phoenix is supposed to act as a giant heat sink, but still....

I was originally contemplating having mine drilled. I shot temps with the top on and the top off. No difference except for the transistor that has a chimney heat sink in the middle of the Power supply. It dropped a couple degrees, not much.

I let it run 8 hours to warm up with the cover on. Shot temps all around. Then took the top off and came back 8 hours later. Temps were the same. Like I said, other than the pleasingly cosmetic aspects of the slots, the temp won't change with those little slots. That's just Kingwa willing to please everyone. If it had made a difference, mine would have had holes months ago. I got a drill press.

Think about it, he's a talented Engineer winning design competitions. You think he needs us to tell him about heat dissipation? The Phoenix is performing as designed and doing it superbly IMHO.

That was about the time I had discovered I had the ceiling fan off in a small office with a lot of electronic gear producing heat. Once I turned the fan back on, I never thought again about any heat questions. Temp went down quite a bit with just a small amount of air movement. I also have the gear sitting side by side, instead of stacked with the PSU on the bottom.

I would also say if you are going to Kvetch about the heat, you provide an accurate description about the environment and borrow an infrared thermometer. You meaning "Y'all". You can't really guess with your fingers.

Sep 22, 2009 at 3:32 AM Post #2,393 of 3,352
This is the 2nd-3rd time (that I know of) Les has described the lack of change in the temp with and w/o the top. What else do you all need?
Ipod- the amount of heat generated will be the same, slots or no- didn't you take physics? Where do you think it goes?

Sep 22, 2009 at 3:34 AM Post #2,394 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Think about it, he's a talented Engineer winning design competitions. You think he needs us to tell him about heat dissipation? The Phoenix is performing as designed and doing it superbly IMHO.

X2

Peete.

Sep 22, 2009 at 3:47 AM Post #2,395 of 3,352
x3

This heat issue is a non-issue. Kingwa has reassured us with his explanation. Let's get on another topic.

Punk.

Sep 22, 2009 at 7:16 AM Post #2,397 of 3,352
is that pic shopped or did you really fry an egg on it...too late to figure it out myself...gaaaa

Sep 22, 2009 at 7:28 AM Post #2,398 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by scootermafia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is that pic shopped or did you really fry an egg on it...too late to figure it out myself...gaaaa

I wish it does barbecue ...... photoshop.

Sep 22, 2009 at 2:04 PM Post #2,400 of 3,352
he just cooked then put it on Phoenix top. That's all.
U need to be very hot to create the burn edge on egg.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back