Audio-gd Phoenix balanced headphone amp.
Sep 22, 2009 at 4:04 PM Post #2,402 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That egg looks delicious and shows yet another use for this flexible piece of gear.

EDIT: Also, I don't get this Photoshop nonsense. That picture clearly is real.

They're referring to the wisps of smoke...

Sep 22, 2009 at 6:01 PM Post #2,403 of 3,352
just cause were on the internet doesn't mean everything is photoshopped. it cooks eggs! there is something it does better than B22 :p

Sep 22, 2009 at 7:46 PM Post #2,405 of 3,352
Good God, that is a real pic. I didn't figure it was shopped as that would be hard to do...but I guess if you leave an egg on there a while, it will cook it. Did you crank it hard with no A/C on for a day to get it that warm?

What I do is I have a small wall-mounted fan trained on my gear rack, specifically pointed at that power supply. When I'm down for some serious listening, I switch the fan and house A/C off.

Sep 22, 2009 at 10:53 PM Post #2,406 of 3,352
Didn't akg702 admit it was a photoshop job after he posted them? Somehow I doubt he would actually fry something with non-stick/butter spread all over the top of his amp.

Les,

For the record I wanted the panel with the holes for the top and bottom, not just for the top. This would allow for all kinds of airflow created from the rising heat, thus cooling things down a bit.

Sep 23, 2009 at 12:24 AM Post #2,407 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by ServinginEcuador /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Didn't akg702 admit it was a photoshop job after he posted them? Somehow I doubt he would actually fry something with non-stick/butter spread all over the top of his amp.

Les,

For the record I wanted the panel with the holes for the top and bottom, not just for the top. This would allow for all kinds of airflow created from the rising heat, thus cooling things down a bit.

Hi,
Takes 144-158 F to cook an egg. Top of Phoenix may be 100F. That's an Egg that was was fried, dropped on the Phoenix, pic taken, and wisps of smoke photoshopped in is my guess.

As far as holes top and bottom, still don't believe it will help. I also think that decreasing the mass of the case may hurt with heat dissipation. The answer is Heat sink surface area, if there is an answer or a question. If heat Trapping was an issue, running it with the top off would have made a difference.

Sep 23, 2009 at 12:52 AM Post #2,409 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Top of Phoenix may be 100F.

When you say Phoenix, which chassis are you referring to? The amp chassis, perhaps. Not even close for the power supply. The top of the power supply is nowhere close to 100 when it has been running for 4 - 6 hours.

How do I know this? Because I have been in Jacuzzis warmer than that and never came close to burning myself. I can't hold my hand on the top of the power supply for more than 2 seconds.

Sep 23, 2009 at 2:32 AM Post #2,410 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do I know this? Because I have been in Jacuzzis warmer than that and never came close to burning myself. I can't hold my hand on the top of the power supply for more than 2 seconds.

That's still subjective measurement and not as relevant as Les's thermometer.

Sep 23, 2009 at 2:35 AM Post #2,411 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by punk_guy182 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's still subjective measurement and not as relevant as Les's thermometer.

It's not subjective. If 104 - 107 degree water doesn't burn me with me submerged into it for an hour, putting my hand on top of something that's 100 degrees wouldn't either. That's common sense.

Whatever his unit is measuring in temperature is not what mine is, if he's stating that the power supply shows 100 degrees.

Sep 23, 2009 at 2:50 AM Post #2,412 of 3,352
iPod, I'll take direct measurements with instruments over estimates with the human hand and a hot tub thermometer every day of the week.

Get or borrow an IR thermometer and shoot it. Then post your measurements. Apples to apples.

Sep 23, 2009 at 3:06 AM Post #2,413 of 3,352
Quote:

How could it not? If there are vents the air will dissipate quicker. Hot air rises.

Where does the cool air to replace it enter then? Also, it's not the internal component temperature that is the problem, going by Les' measurements. If you start drilling holes, you're reducing the surface area of what is, effectively, the heatsink for the FETs.

Come on people, if the chassis is getting hot (just like a heatsink gets hot) it means it is doing it's job correctly. Seems some people here have their brains wired in reverse.

Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Think about it, he's a talented Engineer winning design competitions. You think he needs us to tell him about heat dissipation? The Phoenix is performing as designed and doing it superbly IMHO.

X3.

Sep 23, 2009 at 3:37 AM Post #2,414 of 3,352
Quote:

When you say Phoenix, which chassis are you referring to? The amp chassis, perhaps. Not even close for the power supply. The top of the power supply is nowhere close to 100 when it has been running for 4 - 6 hours.

I'm referring to the top of the PSU. I posted the top, bottom, side, dac chip, and voltage regulator temps early on in this thread.

You also were running yours in Death Valley with no AC in your house earlier I seem to remember, or some such nonsense, I would call that abuse and not a normal environment.

Maybe you're just a sensitive kind of guy?

My environment is 77F ambient with ceiling fan on low. The top is just warm

Make sure your environment is not abusive and get a thermometer. It costs about 1/30 or 1/50th the cost of some of those cables you sprung for. Very handy for a lot of things like seeing the temp of your dogs nose!

Sep 23, 2009 at 3:44 AM Post #2,415 of 3,352
I didn't think that someone would actually fry an egg then stick it on top of their phoenix, but I guess I'm pretty dumb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back