Audio-gd Phoenix balanced headphone amp.
Jul 28, 2009 at 2:40 PM Post #1,786 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Jones /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got my Phoenix yesterday,functions beautifully.Thanks for all the help along the way.Over all I'm very pleased with the final outcome and feel Kingwa really came through for me.It was a long journey that I'm happy to put behind me. I never figured out why I couldn't get the first Phoenix to function.Turns out it worked right out of the box at it's next stop.
But it's all about the music now.

Congrats on the working amp! Now treat yourself to some beautifully amped music that you've been craving and missing all this time!
beerchug.gif

Jul 28, 2009 at 2:46 PM Post #1,787 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats on the working amp! Now treat yourself to some beautifully amped music that you've been craving and missing all this time!
beerchug.gif

Amen brother
atsmile.gif

Jul 28, 2009 at 3:35 PM Post #1,788 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnwmclean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yikes, you've taken my quote way out of context, lay off the angy pills mate. I never presumed my statement to be a stab at your 30 year audio history, I also never suggested to buy them even if you didn't like them. They are your words not mine. Please read my post again, you clearly have trouble with comprehension. By the way just checking out some your previous posts, surely you wear the crown much better than I do for the sillest posts on head-fi.

I was being polite when I wrote Silly, to be more concise I should have written Idiotic or Moronic. You wrote
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnwmclean
The 800's don't really have that WOW factor thing going for them. They can be easily dismissed by this interpretation of first impressions. Take them home and listen to them for month, then try listening to anything else.

My impressions of the 800's could certainly be stated as they had no WOW factor (Dull), but you say that "interpretation" is a first impression and that a person would need to take them home for a month and then everything else would be unlistenable. How does someone take them home for month except to purchase a set? I'm sorry how else could your statement be interpreted? I'm not "angy", I just find your statement idiotic. Your statement clearly says that even if upon initial auditioning a person finds that the 800's "don't really have that WOW factor thing going for them" that they should "Take them home and listen to them for month" (Buy them) and that then "try listening to anything else." Your entire statement is made as Fact. There is no mention of IMO, or IME.

If you had written something like:
Quote:

Initially I found that the 800's didn't really have that WOW factor thing going for them. It appears that first impressions can be misleading because after I took them home and listened to them for month I now find it near impossible to listen to anything else.

Something like this would not have elicited a response from me. Can you understand the difference?

As far as listing my experience goes, I didn't say you impugned my experience. I was making a point that there are members that do have the experience to make a fairly quick evaluation and determine whether or not a component merits further examination. Some of us don't require a month to divine if a headphone is for us. For me 30 minutes with two different sets of 800's was enough, they're not for me.

And if I do wear the Silliest post crown I wear it proudly, although somehow I doubt that I have that honor.

Jul 28, 2009 at 3:41 PM Post #1,789 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by tim3320070 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yikes,
Do you have a comparison of SE vs balanced with the D7000/ Phoenix or were they balanced before getting the Phoenix? Did soundstage increase balanced?
Impressions please.
Thanks

I partially broke in the 7000's single ended, about 120 hours (of which I listened for maybe 10). I was really liking them single ended. I then sent them in for recabling.

Now they are balanced with my wire. What I can do is in the next week or so I'll make an effort to compare my recabled 7000's Single Ended vs. Balanced (I have a SE adapter). The comparison will be of a recabled set but the differences between Balanced and SE should be similar.

Jul 28, 2009 at 3:53 PM Post #1,790 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't mind having that lid on the PSU for the Phoenix. It gets burning hot.

It would make little to no difference unless there is ventilation on the bottom or side panels to allow air to flow in. Simply venting the top panel isn't even a half measure at addressing heat and with so few small vents it's hardly vented at all.

Jul 28, 2009 at 4:46 PM Post #1,791 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It would make little to no difference unless there is ventilation on the bottom or side panels to allow air to flow in. Simply venting the top panel isn't even a half measure at addressing heat and with so few small vents it's hardly vented at all.

So, why can't we have a ventilation on bottom or side of Phoenix? Maybe a plausible request to Kingwa perhaps?

Jul 28, 2009 at 5:11 PM Post #1,793 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by tim3320070 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why do you feel it's needed if Kingwa doesn't think it's necessary?

I don't know. :)

I just thought lowering the temperature by any measure is a good idea, if the effort required is not that great.

Jul 28, 2009 at 5:25 PM Post #1,795 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Jones /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got my Phoenix yesterday,functions beautifully.Thanks for all the help along the way.Over all I'm very pleased with the final outcome and feel Kingwa really came through for me.It was a long journey that I'm happy to put behind me. I never figured out why I couldn't get the first Phoenix to function.Turns out it worked right out of the box at it's next stop.
But it's all about the music now.

Congratulations on finally having a functioning amp!

If the amp now works after being shipped somewhere else (When it clearly didn't before) there is clearly an intermittent problem. IMO it's probably a bad solder joint that after being banged around is now making contact, but the question is for how long. That amp should go back to China. There's no way that I would want that amp. An intermittent problem is a huge PIA.

Jul 28, 2009 at 5:59 PM Post #1,796 of 3,352
Tim,

Kingwa also thought the Reference One was in perfect working condition when it was originally sold. He quickly found out that wasn't the case and required an upgrade.

I wouldn't want to make the Phoenix much cooler for functional purposes. It runs best at its hottest point. But I would like to make it cooler so it doesn't warm my apartment up so much.

This would be ideal, once it is released:
Cool Chips plc

But for now, I think I'll have to install something like this into whatever audio rack I end up with:

Herman Miller | be - Catalog - C2â„¢ climate control

Jul 28, 2009 at 6:06 PM Post #1,797 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by tosehee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, why can't we have a ventilation on bottom or side of Phoenix? Maybe a plausible request to Kingwa perhaps?

I'm certainly not saying that you can't, only that adding just the top panel with a few slits in it on an otherwise completely sealed chassis probably won't help at all.

The ROC may very well have vents on both the top and bottom, I haven't seen enough pictures to know one way or the other and was just responding to PJ's post about adding that top panel to his existing power supply.

Jul 28, 2009 at 6:07 PM Post #1,798 of 3,352
If its class A, the gear is going to be producing the same amount of heat no matter what. Using heatsinks and vents would make the parts run cooler by dispersing the heat into your apartments air faster instead of keeping it mostly trapped in the case. = if you make it run cooler, your apartment will be hotter.

Jul 28, 2009 at 7:38 PM Post #1,799 of 3,352
I dunno if it sounds better hot or not hot, I've done some comparisons of it running HOT and after a fan has blown on it for 20 minutes then turning off the fan to listen, can't really tell a difference. I do feel more at ease with it cooled with a fan though
tongue.gif
it gets so hot in the afternoon that when I put some fingers underneath the phoenix psu I can keep it there less than 2 seconds before I feel a reflex to pull my fingers away.

The only air movement I'm giving the phoenix is whatever the window gives and I live in a pretty hot place. If leaving it on ~8 hours a day without a fan makes the Phoenix blow up I'll let you guys know
tongue.gif

Jul 28, 2009 at 7:47 PM Post #1,800 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tim,

Kingwa also thought the Reference One was in perfect working condition when it was originally sold. He quickly found out that wasn't the case and required an upgrade.

I wouldn't want to make the Phoenix much cooler for functional purposes. It runs best at its hottest point. But I would like to make it cooler so it doesn't warm my apartment up so much.

This would be ideal, once it is released:
Cool Chips plc

But for now, I think I'll have to install something like this into whatever audio rack I end up with:

Herman Miller | be - Catalog - C2â„¢ climate control

I won't argue that he might wish to make it ventilated someday. The amount of heat coming out of the unit is the same however, vented or not, whether it's slow or fast, so your room will be just as hot wouldn't it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back