Audio-gd Phoenix balanced headphone amp.
Jul 29, 2009 at 1:45 PM Post #1,816 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by ServinginEcuador /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm simply enjoying it too much to say much about what's going on. Way more detailed and enjoyable...but then again I'm coming from an iPod with its DAC, so it's light years ahead of where I came from.

I'm waiting until the 7-10 day mark to really spend time analyzing the sound I'm hearing. It's running 24/7 right now, and I'm being patient and waiting until it's ready to fully say how it sounds.

Well, there is no doubt Phoenix will trash the internal amp used in iPod. There is no comparison. If you have or had more serious contender, that would have been a better comparison.

Jul 29, 2009 at 2:17 PM Post #1,817 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by tosehee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, there is no doubt Phoenix will trash the internal amp used in iPod. There is no comparison. If you have or had more serious contender, that would have been a better comparison.

iPod amp? No. iPod DAC? Yes. The amp in both cases was the Phoenix. I just went from running the Phoenix from being fed from the iPod DAC to a feed from the Reference 1 DAC.

Jul 29, 2009 at 2:20 PM Post #1,818 of 3,352
Quote:

iPod amp? No. iPod DAC? Yes. The amp in both cases was the Phoenix. I just went from running the Phoenix from being fed from the iPod DAC to a feed from the Reference 1 DAC.

Ahh. So you got both Ref1 and Phoenix.. :)

Cool setup. I suppose you are using CAST interconnect? How does it sound compare to XLR or RCA?

Jul 29, 2009 at 2:28 PM Post #1,819 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by tosehee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ahh. So you got both Ref1 and Phoenix.. :)

Cool setup. I suppose you are using CAST interconnect? How does it sound compare to XLR or RCA?

IIRC you're getting the same setup?

I am indeed running CAST outputs to the Phoenix. I have no idea how the Ref 1 XLR or RCA outputs sound. I stayed away from those outputs since I don't want to spend a bunch more money on trying cables. So far the CAST outputs sound incredible, but I have no frame of reference about how they compare to the other outputs.

Jul 29, 2009 at 2:30 PM Post #1,820 of 3,352
Quote:

IIRC you're getting the same setup?

I am indeed running CAST outputs to the Phoenix. I have no idea how the Ref 1 XLR or RCA outputs sound. I stayed away from those outputs since I don't want to spend a bunch more money on trying cables. So far the CAST outputs sound incredible, but I have no frame of reference about how they compare to the other outputs.

Yes I am. Kingwa is supposed to ship around August 10th. The waiting is a killer..

Jul 30, 2009 at 6:20 AM Post #1,822 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nada /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone measured the power consumption of the Phoenix?
Id like to know how many watts it sucks out of the grid as a measure of how well it will work as a heater for my study!
Please post your readings if you have a power meter.

My Phoenix draws ~ 67 Watts, driving a pair of HD650 single ended, with volume at 47/99. Measured with a Kill-a-Watt.

I apologize for joining the discussion so late, but I lack the audio experience that others here have.

Jul 30, 2009 at 7:48 AM Post #1,823 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by laevi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Phoenix draws ~ 67 Watts, driving a pair of HD650 single ended, with volume at 47/99. Measured with a Kill-a-Watt.

I apologize for joining the discussion so late, but I lack the audio experience that others here have.

Really.... I guess Kingwa's measurements of 48W was quite a ways off.

Jul 30, 2009 at 8:24 AM Post #1,825 of 3,352
I ordered a Phoenix. There's 122 pages of posts. Rather, I upgraded from my Roc order. So, people. Is the Phoenix good?

Also, I'm going to let everyone in on a once in a lifetime trade. Your worthless Ref 1, for my awesome Havana. I'm standing by :)

Jul 30, 2009 at 8:27 AM Post #1,827 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by scootermafia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your worthless Ref 1, for my awesome Havana. I'm standing by :)

First it has to arrive.
popcorn.gif

Jul 30, 2009 at 11:15 AM Post #1,828 of 3,352
Quote:

I ordered a Phoenix. There's 122 pages of posts. Rather, I upgraded from my Roc order. So, people. Is the Phoenix good?

Also, I'm going to let everyone in on a once in a lifetime trade. Your worthless Ref 1, for my awesome Havana. I'm standing by :)

Why not get the roc? I was thinking it might be about as good as the phoenix for most setups.

edit: i just read your posts on the roc thread. I wonder though if phoenix won't give you more upgraditis than the roc
tongue.gif

Jul 30, 2009 at 11:58 AM Post #1,829 of 3,352
Quote:

So, people. Is the Phoenix good?

It's as good as your source.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 30, 2009 at 1:53 PM Post #1,830 of 3,352
I hear a great thing about Havanaa, so it would be interesting if you could do a comparison before you sell it off or trade.. :)

But then, if you are short on money, that's a totally different story all together..

Quote:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back