Audio-gd Phoenix balanced headphone amp.
Jul 26, 2009 at 5:22 PM Post #1,759 of 3,352
Duelund is $10 per foot for the "base" model, $17 for the one with double silk, and in the 20s for the higher gauge variety per foot. It'd probably cost nearly what your amp cost to rewire it. Neotech OCC silver is a better deal at $5/ft. The whole silver foil thing creeps me out, I need to order some to see how it handles, it's questionable how it would braid or twist together...in my mind I'm visualizing tin foil although I'm sure it's way thicker than that, it's just a flat rectangular shaped wire...

Cryoparts TWCu wire, now that's a wire we can be proud of...I love that stuff for everything.

Jul 26, 2009 at 6:22 PM Post #1,760 of 3,352
After yesterdays NJ. meet I formed some additional opinions about the Phoenix vs a couple of other amps and how they mate with a certain headphone.

The Phoenix drives my Denon AH-D7000 (Siltech Balanced Recable) very well. The only amp that I clearly preferred to the Phoenix with my Denon's was the Single Ended Woo Audio WA5 (Totally Maxed about $4300). The maxed WA5 is my favorite dynamic Amp, bar none.

My only real listening objective at the meet was to get some time with the much heralded Sennheiser HD-800. The HD-800's underwhelmed me, especially on the Phoenix. Driven by the Phoenix they were sort of flat sounding, they lacked dynamic contrast. On a Balanced M3 the 800 were a little better, but still only OK. On a B52 the 800's sounded much better, although still not a revelation.

I'm ambivalent about how poorly the HD-800's mated to my Phoenix. On the one hand I was hoping that they lived up to the hype and were a modern day masterpiece. $1400 for something as good as the R10 or maybe HE90's would be justified, and I'd jump at such a phone. However to these ears the HD-800's don't even come close to living up to the hype, so I am quite happy to save $1400.

Jul 26, 2009 at 8:47 PM Post #1,761 of 3,352
Interesting feedback on the HD800 mated with Phoenix.

Since you liked the D7000 with Phoenix, I am wondering if there is some synergistic issue with HD800 with Phoenix, or HD800 just not your type.

I still need to wait at least 2 to 3 more weeks to form my own impression. Until then, I wonder how others with similar setup perceives the sq.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yikes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After yesterdays NJ. meet I formed some additional opinions about the Phoenix vs a couple of other amps and how they mate with a certain headphone.

The Phoenix drives my Denon AH-D7000 (Siltech Balanced Recable) very well. The only amp that I clearly preferred to the Phoenix with my Denon's was the Single Ended Woo Audio WA5 (Totally Maxed about $4300). The maxed WA5 is my favorite dynamic Amp, bar none.

My only real listening objective at the meet was to get some time with the much heralded Sennheiser HD-800. The HD-800's underwhelmed me, especially on the Phoenix. Driven by the Phoenix they were sort of flat sounding, they lacked dynamic contrast. On a Balanced M3 the 800 were a little better, but still only OK. On a B52 the 800's sounded much better, although still not a revelation.

I'm ambivalent about how poorly the HD-800's mated to my Phoenix. On the one hand I was hoping that they lived up to the hype and were a modern day masterpiece. $1400 for something as good as the R10 or maybe HE90's would be justified, and I'd jump at such a phone. However to these ears the HD-800's don't even come close to living up to the hype, so I am quite happy to save $1400.

Jul 26, 2009 at 9:46 PM Post #1,762 of 3,352
Quote:

The 800's don't really have that WOW factor thing going for them. They can be easily dismissed by this interpretation of first impressions. Take them home and listen to them for month, then try listening to anything else.

Jul 26, 2009 at 10:07 PM Post #1,763 of 3,352
If you're used to Denons, then anything without that full-bodied tonal balance sound thin and boring. I had to condition myself off that otherwise I would have felt the same about the HD-800s.

Jul 26, 2009 at 10:12 PM Post #1,764 of 3,352
Quote:

I know I am setting myself up for the rath-of-iPodJ, but here it goes...
I actually attended the L.A. Mini-meet in the beginning of the month for exactly the same reason. I was able to hear the HD-800's with a number of amps, balanced and single-ended, and I cannot agree with you more! I WANTED to LOVE the HD-800's, but at the end of the day, I wondered what all the whoopla was about? I wondered later if the pairing of the 800's and the Phoenix are just TOO MUCH neutrality? When I listened to HD-800's on the Zana Duex single ended, I heard dynamics that I did not here on the Phoenix. I want to get the Phoenix, along with the Ref-1, but will be pairing them with the Denon AHD-7000's that are breaking in as I type this...This set-up will allow me to avoid "wetting my pants".
Yikes, either our ears are screwed up, or we have different expectations regarding musical reproduction.

Jul 26, 2009 at 10:24 PM Post #1,765 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Once I get the Reference One DAC I will be able to hear more of its abilities. I am pretty sure the amp is designed to sound its best with CAST inputs.

But as of now it's a toss up between the Phoenix and Balanced B22 for best solid state headphone amp.

Well don't you think the phoenix and the Ref1 will sound their best when used with the Audio-GD power cord, the Audio-gd CAST connectors, and the Audio-gd power conditioner. Afterall Kingwa designed them all together and they sound the best when used together 'am sure'. Oh wait..perhaps we have to wait for the audio-gd headphone to be released for the phoenix and ref1 to be able to perform at 100%. Or perhaps they need to be burned in till the end of time before they really start to open up
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And I have a problem with someone invalidating others impressions, something you're also quite familiar with.

Oh you mean like you invalidating mine as you did here Quoting you Quote:

"Some people just like the sound of cheap sources.

I'm sure your processor does not have better highs, I'm sure it has louder highs that are accentuated and flavored to your liking."

Grow up.

Jul 26, 2009 at 10:44 PM Post #1,766 of 3,352
stupid_bunny_wwwfree-avatarscom.gif

Peete.

Jul 26, 2009 at 10:53 PM Post #1,768 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're used to Denons, then anything without that full-bodied tonal balance sound thin and boring. I had to condition myself off that otherwise I would have felt the same about the HD-800s.

Are my priorities backwards?
If I attended a live musical performance and did not experience "full bodied tonal balance"...I would feel like something is wrong. When I set-up my 2 channel home system...full-bodied tonal balance is exactly what I strived for...over and above pinpoint holographic imaging...which is nearly impossible to attain in most non-dedicated rooms, and/or without much acoustic treatment

Jul 26, 2009 at 11:43 PM Post #1,769 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundlogic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are my priorities backwards?
If I attended a live musical performance and did not experience "full bodied tonal balance"...I would feel like something is wrong. When I set-up my 2 channel home system...full-bodied tonal balance is exactly what I strived for...over and above pinpoint holographic imaging...which is nearly impossible to attain in most non-dedicated rooms, and/or without much acoustic treatment

Denons have a lot of mid-bass. Getting used to this results in other headphones sounding thin in comparison. Nothing to do with live performances, only to do with headphones and what your brain gets used to. You'll see the inverse of this when people talk of trying Denons for the first time and say that they sound bloated.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 26, 2009 at 11:48 PM Post #1,770 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Denons have a lot of mid-bass. Getting used to this results in other headphones sounding thin in comparison. Nothing to do with live performances, only to do with headphones and what your brain gets used to.
smily_headphones1.gif

The Senns. 650's have ALOT of mid-bass. These 7000's sound NOTHING like the 650's! Just IMHO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back