Audio-gd Phoenix balanced headphone amp.
Jul 27, 2009 at 12:29 AM Post #1,771 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundlogic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I listened to HD-800's on the Zana Duex single ended, I heard dynamics that I did not here on the Phoenix. regarding musical reproduction.

Thank you!
wink.gif

Jul 27, 2009 at 1:34 AM Post #1,772 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnwmclean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 800's don't really have that WOW factor thing going for them. They can be easily dismissed by this interpretation of first impressions. Take them home and listen to them for month, then try listening to anything else.

That's just silly. You're saying that if I dislike it I'm suppose to go make myself listen to something that I dislike for a month and magically I won't be able to live without them. That's possibly one of the silliest statements I've read on this forum. No one mentioned that either of the HD-800's that I listened to were not broken in, so I'm fairly sure that they're not going to change. I've been in to Audio for 30 years, it's my business. I know what I like and I can determine if a product shows promise for me very quickly. I now know that with my amp the 800's just don't do it for me.

I get that you like your 800's, but you need to learn that everyone doesn't share your tastes. Your suggestion that if you've heard the 800's and didn't like them a person should still buy a pair because in a month their tastes will change is terrible.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're used to Denons, then anything without that full-bodied tonal balance sound thin and boring. I had to condition myself off that otherwise I would have felt the same about the HD-800s.

I have news for you; The Denon's are only a couple of weeks old, I am not "Used" to them. The headphones that I am most used to are my Jades and K-701's. The Denon's are a new flavor for me, sort of an experiment. I have high hopes for them. What I can say is that I prefer the denon's brand new to the 800's broken in.

Just like the 600 and 650's before them the 800's are just not my cup of Tea, and I'm sure that I am not alone.

Jul 27, 2009 at 4:41 AM Post #1,775 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yikes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have news for you; The Denon's are only a couple of weeks old, I am not "Used" to them. The headphones that I am most used to are my Jades and K-701's. The Denon's are a new flavor for me, sort of an experiment. I have high hopes for them. What I can say is that I prefer the denon's brand new to the 800's broken in.

Just like the 600 and 650's before them the 800's are just not my cup of Tea, and I'm sure that I am not alone.

Not disagreeing with you, just posting for the sake of discussion. I had K701s, then switched to Denon MD5000s, and was unable to go back to the K701s at all. I'm wondering if a similar thing would happen if I bought D7000s now. At present I'm impatient for my HF-2s to arrive, as I want the punch and more up-front presentation of the HF-1s I tried recently.

Jul 27, 2009 at 8:30 PM Post #1,777 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by sandchak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, it seems like ROC is up for sale.. and I think Kingwa has addressed one of the needs for better heat dissipation.. Sorry for the OT (this is still a Phoenix thread)

н¨ÍøÒ³ 1

Roc14.jpg

I could not find the dimensions of the Roc on the website. Maybe I scanned through too quickly. BUT...if the dimensions are the same as the Phoenix, could the lid be used on the Phoenix? I know that it has been said numerous times that the Phoenix has been designed to run at the present heat out put, and that much, if not all of the Audio-gd gear run quite hot as well. I wonder why now that the Roc has a vented top? Kingwa?

Jul 27, 2009 at 8:37 PM Post #1,778 of 3,352
The simple explanation is, the ROC has both the PSU and amp board under one lid.

It's a compromise.

Peete.

Jul 27, 2009 at 8:53 PM Post #1,779 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundlogic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I could not find the dimensions of the Roc on the website. Maybe I scanned through too quickly. BUT...if the dimensions are the same as the Phoenix, could the lid be used on the Phoenix? I know that it has been said numerous times that the Phoenix has been designed to run at the present heat out put, and that much, if not all of the Audio-gd gear run quite hot as well. I wonder why now that the Roc has a vented top? Kingwa?

I did tests with the lid off the Phoenix, made little difference, about 1-2 degrees. The real question is, does the Phoenix need help? The designer says NO.

The only way to help the Phoenix would be to have extrusions on the Belly or the sides. That is where the heat is concentrated. There is not much "heat soak" that gets to the top plate.

The only part of the Phoenix that benefits from having the top off is to the convective heat sinks in the middle of the PSU. They do drop in temp with the lid off. They drop like 10-12 degrees or so. The chassis sides and top don't change much.

Jul 27, 2009 at 9:46 PM Post #1,780 of 3,352
Peete, Les;
Thanks for the clarification-of-the-explanation. Both makes sense...Although, at first I could not help but think that the Roc's lid was "product evolution", based on user comments and concerns.

Jul 28, 2009 at 8:42 AM Post #1,782 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yikes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's just silly. You're saying that if I dislike it I'm suppose to go make myself listen to something that I dislike for a month and magically I won't be able to live without them. That's possibly one of the silliest statements I've read on this forum. No one mentioned that either of the HD-800's that I listened to were not broken in, so I'm fairly sure that they're not going to change. I've been in to Audio for 30 years, it's my business. I know what I like and I can determine if a product shows promise for me very quickly. I now know that with my amp the 800's just don't do it for me.

I get that you like your 800's, but you need to learn that everyone doesn't share your tastes. Your suggestion that if you've heard the 800's and didn't like them a person should still buy a pair because in a month their tastes will change is terrible.

Yikes, you've taken my quote way out of context, lay off the angy pills mate. I never presumed my statement to be a stab at your 30 year audio history, I also never suggested to buy them even if you didn't like them. They are your words not mine. Please read my post again, you clearly have trouble with comprehension. By the way just checking out some your previous posts, surely you wear the crown much better than I do for the sillest posts on head-fi.

Jul 28, 2009 at 1:31 PM Post #1,784 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't mind having that lid on the PSU for the Phoenix. It gets burning hot.

It would make zero difference as there would be no corresponding holes on the underside of the Phoenix to cause air to flow.

The trick, if you're worried about the heat is, get a 12V 120mm computer case fan, screw a grill to it either side, and connect it by whatever means to a USB power cable (used for some portable HDs and the like). It'll spin slowly and quietly from the 5V USB power and, sitting next to the Phoenix, cool it better than doing so suggests.

Jul 28, 2009 at 2:23 PM Post #1,785 of 3,352
Got my Phoenix yesterday,functions beautifully.Thanks for all the help along the way.Over all I'm very pleased with the final outcome and feel Kingwa really came through for me.It was a long journey that I'm happy to put behind me. I never figured out why I couldn't get the first Phoenix to function.Turns out it worked right out of the box at it's next stop.
But it's all about the music now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back