Audio-gd Phoenix balanced headphone amp.
Mar 5, 2011 at 11:44 PM Post #3,151 of 3,352

Quote:
I have to share the pain.  My balanced cable was supposed to be delivered by USPS today as I got a Phoenix new on Thursday.  I saw the postman when I was at the pool with the family.  He didn't deliver and when I checked the tracking it said it was delivered.  So frustrating.  I have to open a case with USPS for a claim because if it really was delivered it was not to me.  I will probably be looking at a minimum of 2 weeks before I get to hear my Phoenix balanced.  At least it will have time to burn in.

That sucks, total let down....

Mar 6, 2011 at 8:34 PM Post #3,152 of 3,352
I have completed my awesome looking DIY balanced extension cable for the PX100s for use with the Phoenix balance!

I thought I would terminate the PX100s with a mini XLR at the Y junction, I mean who the hell wants a big fat full size XLR in the way when using and Ipod for instance...genuis or what?

Mar 6, 2011 at 8:43 PM Post #3,153 of 3,352
What about the finished product? I hear you ask.  errr...hmmm....didn't quite work out as I imagined it to.

Soldering these exact same galvanised conductors as found on the HD650 was a lot easier with a full size XLR...the mini XLR melts away like that in an attempt to get a secure connection.  I then thought the only way out of this predicament was to eliminate these crappy galavanised copper at the transducer and do a full recable with regular copper...big mistake...the housing is glued together and I busted them in frustration.

I have purchased another PX100 coming from a good forum member. 

Why all the hassles?

Because, shoot me for saying this.  These transducers are noticeably quicker than the HD650, the PX100 has no detectable cup resonances.  The stage is smaller but more 3 dimensional with better imaging, accuracy and layering...all wrapped up in a cosy and bassy signature reminiscent of the D7000s but with a full and inviting midrange and without the irritating and splashy treble...with better imaging, dimesionality and no cup resonance.

Mar 6, 2011 at 8:56 PM Post #3,154 of 3,352
Tough luck...........I remember hearing my PX100 for the first time SE on the Phoenix thinking that they had no business sounding that good. Turning up the volume too much caused the bass to fall apart though, unlike a real headphone. Better luck next time.....

Mar 6, 2011 at 9:08 PM Post #3,155 of 3,352
True, they don't handle a lot of power and can be easily clipped when driven to enthusiastic high volume headbang sessions, fortunately the D7000s serve brilliantly for all out DB assaults on the ear drums.  But non fatigue background and moderate volumes, they seem to shame all bar the fastest of dynamics, if one has no issues with its bottom skewed tonality.

Nah, I will not risk re-terminating my next pair of PX100s until I research a little more on how to solder these darned galvanised cables.

Mar 9, 2011 at 5:47 PM Post #3,156 of 3,352
I can't switch my order of the C39 to the C3 until someone buys the C39 which they already started to build.
If anyone is looking for a C39 with ready to go headphone output, contact Kingwa as it can be done in a few days.
Thanks

Mar 9, 2011 at 6:35 PM Post #3,157 of 3,352

Quote:
I can't switch my order of the C39 to the C3 until someone buys the C39 which they already started to build.
If anyone is looking for a C39 with ready to go headphone output, contact Kingwa as it can be done in a few days.
Thanks

Wow that's a bit of a bummer...hopefully someone will oblige and you can switch to the C-3FV.

Quote:
True, they don't handle a lot of power and can be easily clipped when driven to enthusiastic high volume headbang sessions, fortunately the D7000s serve brilliantly for all out DB assaults on the ear drums.  But non fatigue background and moderate volumes, they seem to shame all bar the fastest of dynamics, if one has no issues with its bottom skewed tonality.

Nah, I will not risk re-terminating my next pair of PX100s until I research a little more on how to solder these darned galvanised cables.

What about tossing the stock cable and going with a custom job ? 5N or 6N copper from PCX is pretty cheap...a 6 or 7ft cable could be built for around 45 USD (roughly speaking) which includes teflon tubing, copper mesh shielding and tech flex (or cotton tubing) for the outer jacket and some adhesive backed shrink tubing (also from PCX) to finish her off properly. Might be able to salvage your original cans going this route and have the second set as back up. Something to think about at least...

Peete.

Mar 10, 2011 at 4:31 AM Post #3,158 of 3,352
Hooray, After some 1 month plus of browsing and pouring through hundreds of pages in this forum, I finally decided and placed an order for a Phoenix (w/Occ wires) to pair with my HE6 and LCD2 + a NFB12 for my kid's room. Thanks to the many impressions and advice given by fellow forumers here.

Mar 10, 2011 at 7:45 AM Post #3,159 of 3,352

Quote:
What about tossing the stock cable and going with a custom job ? 5N or 6N copper from PCX is pretty cheap...a 6 or 7ft cable could be built for around 45 USD (roughly speaking) which includes teflon tubing, copper mesh shielding and tech flex (or cotton tubing) for the outer jacket and some adhesive backed shrink tubing (also from PCX) to finish her off properly. Might be able to salvage your original cans going this route and have the second set as back up. Something to think about at least...

Peete.

That's how I busted the PX100s, trying to eliminate the hard to solder galvanised cables.  The housing was superglued together and not meant to be able to dismantle.  What surprised me was the fact that the conductors were identical to the HD650 conductors, only in the HD650 cable, the rubber sheathing is thicker.

Mar 12, 2011 at 5:42 PM Post #3,160 of 3,352
Following the excellent posts on the Phoenix, including detailed information on XLR connector and silver wire modifications, I am slowly getting the pieces together for my take on a modified Phoenix. The XLRs, silver solder and silver wire are now winging their way to China...

However, the CAST connector/socket has me beat. From the posts in this thread, I gather that you replace the MALE CAST that is on the unit (left hand picture) with a LEMO female (right hand picture). Is this correct? I have attached pictures of the CAST connector as it would normally be supplied on the unit (left) and the LEMO one I am after (right).

Assuming I am correct and I need to get the LEMO unit as pictured, where do I find this thing? I emailed a supplier who was suggested on this thread. He replied saying he can't supply it because LEMO require large minimum orders. Most importantly, does anyone know a PART NUMBER for the LEMO CAST connector?

CAST as supplied on Phoenix (left)   LEMO CAST (right) 

Mar 12, 2011 at 6:55 PM Post #3,162 of 3,352

Quote:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/416120/audio-gd-reference-1-dac-56-k-warning/390#post_5674965

les garten made a post about it quite a while ago in the ref1 thread

Man!   You found that quick!

My DAD did his Grad Log degree at WPAFB, a LONG time ago.

Mar 12, 2011 at 6:57 PM Post #3,163 of 3,352

Quote:
Following the excellent posts on the Phoenix, including detailed information on XLR connector and silver wire modifications, I am slowly getting the pieces together for my take on a modified Phoenix. The XLRs, silver solder and silver wire are now winging their way to China...

However, the CAST connector/socket has me beat. From the posts in this thread, I gather that you replace the MALE CAST that is on the unit (left hand picture) with a LEMO female (right hand picture). Is this correct? I have attached pictures of the CAST connector as it would normally be supplied on the unit (left) and the LEMO one I am after (right).

Assuming I am correct and I need to get the LEMO unit as pictured, where do I find this thing? I emailed a supplier who was suggested on this thread. He replied saying he can't supply it because LEMO require large minimum orders. Most importantly, does anyone know a PART NUMBER for the LEMO CAST connector?

CAST as supplied on Phoenix (left)   LEMO CAST (right) 

If you go this route, send all the connectors, even the ones for the cables to KW.  Those LEMOs are a Bee-Atch to terminate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back