Audio-gd Phoenix balanced headphone amp.
Mar 12, 2011 at 9:32 PM Post #3,167 of 3,352

Quote:
Thanks, Les et al. It just dawned on me that you might have been referring to REF1 in your post. Is it still a FEMALE Lemo CAST connector I need to go on the Phoenix?

Males go on the cable ends, Females on the gear.  I'm connecting my REF 1 to my Phoenix.  I sent the LEMOs to KW to put on the chassis.  I made the cable.  It was a major problem to terminate them, and I screwed up one of the and had to order another one.  They aren't cheap!  But buy one from KRELL, who uses Mogami cable BTW.  My cable costs about $60 percable for the same thing from Krell, a couple Thousand!

Currawong is correct, mini XLR is the way I would go today.

You can fit much larger gauge wire in those connectors.  

One thing is, the LEMOs sure feel and work nice, no doubt about that.

Mar 12, 2011 at 10:45 PM Post #3,168 of 3,352
The Mini-XLR option is not a bad idea. Is the pin count the same as the Lemo?

This might be all moot since I just got an email from Audio GD saying they can longer do my special order! This is AFTER I had got a "yes" from Kingwa AND I had sent XLR cables, silver wire etc to China! I am now waiting on a response from my last email to Audio GD. Not happy.

Mar 13, 2011 at 1:28 AM Post #3,169 of 3,352

Quote:
The Mini-XLR option is not a bad idea. Is the pin count the same as the Lemo?

This might be all moot since I just got an email from Audio GD saying they can longer do my special order! This is AFTER I had got a "yes" from Kingwa AND I had sent XLR cables, silver wire etc to China! I am now waiting on a response from my last email to Audio GD. Not happy.

Well,  if you knew some of the crap he has put up with regards Custom Orders, you would understand it.  Also, he may have got so successful here that he has decided the agravation ain't worth it anymore now that his name is established.

I would think he would finish any commitments has made. 

Mar 13, 2011 at 6:34 AM Post #3,170 of 3,352
Yes, I've had a reply from China and indeed you are correct. It's about Audio GD clients and their custom orders - that is, customers changing their minds and not wanting to go ahead with their 'special' orders once they have started, or finished the order! Most of the Audio GD range is made to order. Add 'custom' requests and then changes of mind/heart into the equation and I can see why they get a little concerned.

That being said, and considering that I now have a small window of opportunity to change MY mind because of circumstance - I hope there isn't a new version of the Phoenix (or a superior model) coming out soon - any news on that front?

Mar 13, 2011 at 12:32 PM Post #3,171 of 3,352

Quote:
Yes, I've had a reply from China and indeed you are correct. It's about Audio GD clients and their custom orders - that is, customers changing their minds and not wanting to go ahead with their 'special' orders once they have started, or finished the order! Most of the Audio GD range is made to order. Add 'custom' requests and then changes of mind/heart into the equation and I can see why they get a little concerned.

That being said, and considering that I now have a small window of opportunity to change MY mind because of circumstance - I hope there isn't a new version of the Phoenix (or a superior model) coming out soon - any news on that front?

Well, I'm not tuned into that.  But the Phoenix has not really chnaged since it's inception.  It is a C-3 Preamp that has been optimized/tweaked to be a Head amp, and minus the ACSS output.

I don't see a change ahead, but KW is not into using the Telegraph as a marketing tool.  So, he's pretty much into Surprise.

Mar 13, 2011 at 9:03 PM Post #3,174 of 3,352

Quote:
So since this is one of the more Active Audio-GD threads, does anyone know whats up with the new Master Series Pre-Amp that kingwa's putting out? its cheaper, and only has one case, is it supposed to be better than the C-3FV??

This is a no teasing zone!  You know that...

Let's hear the details, I haven't heard about this.  I have been thinking about a C-3/C-1 Master combo though.

Mar 13, 2011 at 9:25 PM Post #3,176 of 3,352

Quote:
This is a no teasing zone!  You know that...

Let's hear the details, I haven't heard about this.  I have been thinking about a C-3/C-1 Master combo though.

have you not been to the site in a while? He's got a whole new section for his New Master series of products that are coming out soon, http://www.audio-gd.com/En%20Master.htm , the preamp is a couple hundred cheaper than the C3FV though, but the Master 2 Power amp is like 800 hundred dollars more than the C1 master

Mar 13, 2011 at 9:51 PM Post #3,177 of 3,352

Quote:
have you not been to the site in a while? He's got a whole new section for his New Master series of products that are coming out soon, http://www.audio-gd.com/En%20Master.htm , the preamp is a couple hundred cheaper than the C3FV though, but the Master 2 Power amp is like 800 hundred dollars more than the C1 master

Hmmm, I had not seen that.

I haven't downloaded the jpg's, but the Master 1 and Master 2 look VERY close.

The C-3 going into one chassis for the Master kinda makes sense.  There is a lot of wasted space in the 2 Chassis of the C-3FV

Mar 13, 2011 at 10:09 PM Post #3,178 of 3,352

Quote:

Hmmm, I had not seen that.

I haven't downloaded the jpg's, but the Master 1 and Master 2 look VERY close.

The C-3 going into one chassis for the Master kinda makes sense.  There is a lot of wasted space in the 2 Chassis of the C-3FV

i agree on them looking very close, its liek the upgrade from the ref7 to the 7.1 though, there arent any more of the ACSS modules, its all just components on the circuit board. but as far as i know he isnt getting rid of the C1, so there must be something different to warrant the price hike. like better transistors, cause he makes a point to saying which transistors he's using on the master 2 page, and hes using the better wireing, though that certainly wouldnt account for much of the cost increase

Mar 13, 2011 at 10:33 PM Post #3,179 of 3,352

Quote:
i agree on them looking very close, its liek the upgrade from the ref7 to the 7.1 though, there arent any more of the ACSS modules, its all just components on the circuit board. but as far as i know he isnt getting rid of the C1, so there must be something different to warrant the price hike. like better transistors, cause he makes a point to saying which transistors he's using on the master 2 page, and hes using the better wireing, though that certainly wouldnt account for much of the cost increase

Yeah, $800 is a pretty significant increase in price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back