Audio-gd Phoenix balanced headphone amp.
Mar 4, 2011 at 3:06 PM Post #3,136 of 3,352

Quote:
Too early to tell as I am just still at about two hours of listening.  Listening to a high quality recording of John Williams classical music now and no sibilance yet.  The poor recording was of live music probably audience recording with two mics versus a soundboard and at 256k.  Miles Davis "So What" will be a good test because on good gear it can sounds harsh at times because he was mic-ed too close.  Seems like you already got your sources so I would think the Phoenix or what ever Kingwa replaces it with someday is likely in your future.
wink_face.gif

Your assumption is correct (too early to tell) ......with such fresh electronics it's hard to tell what is recording artifact and burn in process with Kingwa's higher end stuff. The changes the Phoenix will go through as you put more and more hours on it should make themselves known (as long as you use a fav piece every day to evaluate any changes). Some folks report burn in changes while others are more skeptical about such things...Personally I feel A-gd gear (the high end stuff) has a distinct quite noticeable maturation process that usually concludes around the 400 hour mark (300 hours home use since the Factory burns in it's gear for 100 hours before shipment).

Ah is correct the leap from SE'd to balanced using the ACSS pathway should be another big eye opener. Personally I've not noticed the so called 650 veil...I use an aftermarket DIY SPC cable terminated in a 4 pin XLR (the kit A-gd supplies is what I used for the conversion of my SE'd DIY cable to balanced). I observe no veil at all. It might be a case of first gen 650 drivers vs the updated units shipping the last 2+ years and a system oriented observation (using a dark amp/dark dac and the stock copper 650 cable). Just IMO as far as that goes.

Welcome to the club bub 
beerchug.gif

Peete.

Mar 4, 2011 at 7:17 PM Post #3,138 of 3,352

Quote:
I may be selling mine- I am getting the C39 with HP output and can't imagine that's a downgrade. It will have less output though which is fine.

IMO the superior piece to the Phoenix would be the C-3FV and not the C 39..Going with the 39 may or may not be any better than the Phoenix...I could be wrong of course...my advice though is you save up the couple hundred extra for the 3FV, it's worth the extra. FYI the PSU for the Phoenix is nearly identical to the C-3FV...the difference is in the FV's amp section....If you study the 39 it does not have the same level of complexity and may be exactly the same as the Phoenix (minus the head amp section). Better to be sure before making the decision and placing an order.

Peete.

Mar 4, 2011 at 10:06 PM Post #3,140 of 3,352
I purchased a balanced DHC Molecule cable for my HD650.  I'm using a single ended adapter cable to burn-in the cable since I am still waiting for my Phoenix to arrive.

Quote:
I am curious about you balanced cable decisions for the HD650.  I am not a believer in cable sound signatures but dont mind paying a reasonable amount for a quality built balanced cable.  I am also considering in building my own.

Mar 4, 2011 at 11:11 PM Post #3,141 of 3,352
Just for laughs, I tried my Sennheisser PX100s on the Phoenix and R7 combo.  It wasn't very funny at all, the PX100 once amped sounded like a sidegrade to the HD650s to me...one thing that is certain in my mind is that the PX100s have no cup resonance and the HD650 does.

I'm gonna pop down to my electronic store, buy some mini four pin XLRs and snip the PX100s at the Y section and connect the mini XLRs...then I will make a custom balanced cable for the mini XLR adaptor.  Then connect the left over PX100 cable to another adaptor, so the PX100 can still be used portable.  Yup balanced PX100s.

Mar 4, 2011 at 11:26 PM Post #3,142 of 3,352
No kidding.  I've tried my px100 on my b22 and was amazed at how good it sounded.  Suprised at how good it scaled with better equipment.

A question here.  Would getting the C-3 final version preamp fed to the C-2 amp be a better sounding option than getting the phoenix alone to drive my headphones?

Mar 4, 2011 at 11:51 PM Post #3,143 of 3,352

Quote:
No kidding.  I've tried my px100 on my b22 and was amazed at how good it sounded.  Suprised at how good it scaled with better equipment.

A question here.  Would getting the C-3 final version preamp fed to the C-2 amp be a better sounding option than getting the phoenix alone to drive my headphones?

The only reason to get the AGD pre-amp over the Phoenix would be if you have an AGD power amp and want to connect the power amp with ACSS.  The Phoenix is also a hi-end pre-amp as that is its DNA (for a preamp the Phoenix has a superior topology to the C39 preamp), but specifically tailored for headphone use and in doing so sacrifices ACSS pre-amp output, which is only useful with Krell or AGD power amplifiers.  Any other power amplifiers and the Phoenix is a better pre-amp than the C39 - I think that is what Kingwa said, worth an email to confirm.  There is also nothing to suggest that the C3FV (perhaps the only model that is better than the Phoenix as a preamp) will bet better than the Phoenix as a headphone amplifier.

Mar 5, 2011 at 12:35 AM Post #3,144 of 3,352

Quote:
Understood but it has ACSS output for my upcoming C10 amp. I may inquire about C3 though. Thanks.

The C3FV and C10SE would be an excellent pairing. Yeah the only drawback to the Phoenix in a traditional sense is the lack of an ACSS output...doesn't bother me that much though since I don't have any A-gd amps (yet).

Peete.

Mar 5, 2011 at 10:34 AM Post #3,145 of 3,352
I actually changed my order to the C3 as I found an old email from Kingwa stating he thought the C39 as a headphone amp was not as good as the Phoenix (I had misunderstood him at the time), but that the preamp via ACSS would be better. I don't want any downgrade at all, too spoiled at this point.

Mar 5, 2011 at 5:04 PM Post #3,146 of 3,352

Quote:
I actually changed my order to the C3 as I found an old email from Kingwa stating he thought the C39 as a headphone amp was not as good as the Phoenix (I had misunderstood him at the time), but that the preamp via ACSS would be better. I don't want any downgrade at all, too spoiled at this point.

Wise decision......how long will the headphone mod add to the build/delivery date ?

Peete.

Mar 5, 2011 at 6:33 PM Post #3,147 of 3,352
I don't know. It's been a while since the order but Kingwa has been good to me and it's worth the wait. Your comment motivated me to change the order. I remember going from the Roc to the Phoenix and hearing the soundstage widen very perceptively and in a positive way. Hoping the C3 is similar in this regard. The Phoenix has this 3D sound effect that is very compelling with well recorded material. More parts can't hurt IMO.

Mar 5, 2011 at 8:00 PM Post #3,148 of 3,352

Quote:
I don't know. It's been a while since the order but Kingwa has been good to me and it's worth the wait. Your comment motivated me to change the order. I remember going from the Roc to the Phoenix and hearing the soundstage widen very perceptively and in a positive way. Hoping the C3 is similar in this regard. The Phoenix has this 3D sound effect that is very compelling with well recorded material. More parts can't hurt IMO.

Very interesting to read this.... I think I may be trying to make the jump from my ROC to a Phoenix, as I've been thinking of it for some time.

Mar 5, 2011 at 11:29 PM Post #3,150 of 3,352
I have to share the pain.  My balanced cable was supposed to be delivered by USPS today as I got a Phoenix new on Thursday.  I saw the postman when I was at the pool with the family.  He didn't deliver and when I checked the tracking it said it was delivered.  So frustrating.  I have to open a case with USPS for a claim because if it really was delivered it was not to me.  I will probably be looking at a minimum of 2 weeks before I get to hear my Phoenix balanced.  At least it will have time to burn in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back