Audio-GD NFB-11.32 & NFB-11 (2014) (Delivery & Impression Thread)!!!
Feb 26, 2021 at 3:19 PM Post #3,031 of 3,093
Hi, yes to use Amanero fw, get the "CPLD 1081 with DSD swapped channels already swapped" and "firmware_2006Be11"

They (Amanero/Audio-gd) are working on a firmware optimized for audio and conveniance

/Jan
Thank you /Jan

So you are saying that there is new firmware and/or driver coming up?
Will that be advertised on Audio-GD 's website when it's ready?

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2021 at 3:25 PM Post #3,032 of 3,093
Thank you /Jan

So do you mean that there will be new firmware/drivers released soon?
Will that be properly advertised on Audio-GD's website when it is ready?

edit
Sorry for possible double posts guys, the forum seems to be behaving very strange at this moment.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2021 at 6:13 PM Post #3,033 of 3,093
The (copied) tutorial only mentions some "DI20-HE"
What is a DI20-HE?
Is the firmware only for that device?
Audio-GD – DI20HE – Digital Interface Regenerative PSU

Not sure which Audio-GD devices can be flashed, I think only the higher tier ones with an update port. The tutorial stating "Press the update button for 2 seconds".
The DI20-HE has an update port and button but something like the NFB11.38 doesn't so that can't be updated I guess.

Wonder if devices without update port can be updated and why would you update in the first place? What does it fix , add or improve?

Feb 27, 2021 at 2:19 AM Post #3,035 of 3,093
So do you mean that there will be new firmware/drivers released soon?
Yes, Amanero will produce a new firmware mainly addressing the "pop" sound when changing between DSD-PCM and back. This is valid for players based on Linux.

Not sure which Audio-GD devices can be flashed
1. All Amanero Combo384 USB boards. Today only the DI20/DI20HE has the red reset button accessable on the back of the units. The other gears needs to be opened (top lid off) for accessing the reset points.

2. The R2R dacs boards using FPGA can be software upgraded today. In theory also the SigmaDelta (ESS dac chip based) dacs using FPGA, could be upgraded but that is not the active today. The 10 pin upgrade port seen on the DI20/DI20HE are planned to be incorporated also on mid- and higher grade dacs later on (Source: Kingwa)
/J

Feb 27, 2021 at 5:15 AM Post #3,036 of 3,093
Yes, Amanero will produce a new firmware mainly addressing the "pop" sound when changing between DSD-PCM and back. This is valid for players based on Linux.

1. All Amanero Combo384 USB boards. Today only the DI20/DI20HE has the red reset button accessable on the back of the units. The other gears needs to be opened (top lid off) for accessing the reset points.

2. The R2R dacs boards using FPGA can be software upgraded today. In theory also the SigmaDelta (ESS dac chip based) dacs using FPGA, could be upgraded but that is not the active today. The 10 pin upgrade port seen on the DI20/DI20HE are planned to be incorporated also on mid- and higher grade dacs later on (Source: Kingwa)
/J
Thanks for clearing that up.
Correct me if I'm wrong but from what I understand the only situation when firmware update is relevant is with DSD. I don't care for DSD and I don't have anything in DSD format, so there's no point in trying to flash another firmware for me right?

Feb 27, 2021 at 6:02 AM Post #3,037 of 3,093
I am no expert on the Amanero code but I think You are right. It is usually a good idea to use a later produced firmware code anyway. Programmers continues to fix bugs and better the code in general and clean it up. It is always a risk to upgrade the code and "brick" the device. I am taking these risks all the time but I am aware.

On the Audio-gd FPGA code there are great differencies in the sonic result. The internal digital timing are addressed and there are great sound improvements in the later FPGA code versions.
/J

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2021 at 5:11 PM Post #3,038 of 3,093
Another observation that makes me doubt if both Audio-GD and Amanero care much about informing their clients with adequate information on software and drivers:
When installing the Amanero drivers as offered by Audio-GD, you get 1.062
The Amanero website offers 1.067
When you install that, it will offer to additionally install ASIO drivers.
If you do that you will get 1.07
But if you happen to stumble across: https://www.amanero.com/asio/
it offers ASIO 1.09

Could somebody at Audio-GD or Amanaro clear things up a bit?
Why make an effort in updating software and drivers if you are not able to inform your clients properly?

Mar 4, 2021 at 2:22 AM Post #3,039 of 3,093
Another observation that makes me doubt if both Audio-GD and Amanero care much about informing their clients with adequate information on software and drivers:
When installing the Amanero drivers as offered by Audio-GD, you get 1.062
The Amanero website offers 1.067
When you install that, it will offer to additionally install ASIO drivers.
If you do that you will get 1.07
But if you happen to stumble across: https://www.amanero.com/asio/
it offers ASIO 1.09

Could somebody at Audio-GD or Amanaro clear things up a bit?
Why make an effort in updating software and drivers if you are not able to inform your clients properly?
First off all both Amanero and Audio-GD software/driver communication are lacking.
SMSL is not much better with their Xmos driver. For product X SMSL does list the latest Xmos driver on their website and for product Y they list an older version (product Y is also 100% compatible with the latest driver)

That being said I'm certain you will not notice any difference between 1.062 and 1.067

ASIO is not really an issue as you should not use ASIO anyway, use WASAPI exclusive.
Only use ASIO as last resort when nothing else is available, which is almost never the case in regular home use.

Mar 4, 2021 at 2:37 AM Post #3,040 of 3,093
I am no expert on on the Amanero code but I think You are right. It is usually a good idea to use a later produced firmware code anyway. Programmers continues to fix bugs and better the code in general and clean it up. It is always a risk to upgrade the code and "brick" the device. I am taking these risks all the time but I am aware.

On the Audio-gd FPGA code there are great differencies in the sonic result. The internal digital timing are addressed and there are great sound improvements in the later FPGA code versions.
/J
Only firmware you can officially download is 1080 and 1081
According to Amanero 1080 is flashed on the board by default. 1081 only seems to have something to do with native DSD support other then that it's the same as 1080.
I don't have DSD files nor I care about DSD so from what I gather there is not much use for me to (try to) flash the Amanero board, there's nothing to gain only to lose in case I brick it.

We in the IT branch always say "don't try to fix something that isn't broken"
I will never advice a customer to flash the firmware of their motherboard unless the customer experience a problem that can not be solved in any other way.
Motherboards might not be the best example as they have come a long way with dual bios and and back bios features which makes bricking them a lot harder but you get my point :wink:

Mar 4, 2021 at 2:51 AM Post #3,041 of 3,093
We in the IT branch always say "don't try to fix something that isn't broken"
I will never advice a customer to flash the firmware of their motherboard unless the customer experience a problem that can not be solved in any other way.
Motherboards might not be the best example as they have come a long way with dual bios and and back bios features which makes bricking them a lot harder but you get my point :wink:
This is a very good point and my opinion is the same. Unfortunately the level of testing of audio firmware is very low (and poor) compared to some other kinds of firmware.

It helps if the change logs are public and you can decide whether to try an upgrade or not. Usually I am reluctant to flash an audio device if it works fine already.

Mar 6, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #3,042 of 3,093
ASIO is not really an issue as you should not use ASIO anyway, use WASAPI exclusive.
I fully agree.
But I was testing some DSD files, and on my system ASIO seems to be required to get DoP working.
(direct DSD streaming doesn't seem to work at all)

About driver updates, I also agree with the adagio 'if it ain't broke…'
But once in a while I experience some minor 'pop' with my Audio-GD NFB11-28.
The first thing to check then is if there are newer drivers available.

In this case you will then find that Audio-GD does not provide the most recent Amanero drivers available, and neither Audio-GD nor Amanero have a version update history available. So you don't have a clue at all what a driver update would bring or could solve.

I find that surprising for Audio-GD, since I respect them and would guess software and drivers are regarded as important for them too to achieve the best results and user experience.

Amanero as a company is an enigma to me to begin with.
They don't seem to have any track-record or a product range, and have one of the most Spartan websites that I know of.
It looks like some one-trick pony that incidentally happened to create one good product and that's it.
Strange.

Mar 6, 2021 at 12:03 PM Post #3,043 of 3,093
Amanero as a company is an enigma to me to begin with.
They don't seem to have any track-record or a product range, and have one of the most Spartan websites that I know of.
It looks like some one-trick pony that incidentally happened to create one good product and that's it.
Strange.
I feel that Amanero is a "true" OEM in that way.
Think they don't really bother with maintaining a consumer focussed website as their business is clearly selling boards to manufacturers so they can integrate them in their consumer products. Potential customers of Amanero are not going to surf to a website and click the buy button for 100000 units. They will deal directly with Amanero by phone/mail.
First line of support for consumers should be the manufacturer and not Amanero. Audio-GD is not exactly known for their excellent communication and Amanero feels is not their business to support the customer. So the consumer is left on his/her own and the internet to try to figure out how to upgrade firmware or software.

Mar 6, 2021 at 12:23 PM Post #3,044 of 3,093
I feel that Amanero is a "true" OEM in that way.
Think they don't really bother with maintaining a consumer focussed website as their business is clearly selling boards to manufacturers so they can integrate them in their consumer products.
I don't agree, their main web page is dedicated to selling single modules to end-consumers for 79,-.
That is something no true oem does at all.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2021 at 2:58 PM Post #3,045 of 3,093
ASIO is better than WASAPI. Kinda incredible to suggest otherwise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back