Audio-gd NFB-10SE Thread
Sep 28, 2011 at 11:30 AM Post #32 of 199
That is another challenge on its own.  I will take at it crack tonight.  If I can actually hear a difference between them that is audible and reliably repeatable I will comment on it. 

Sep 28, 2011 at 3:30 PM Post #33 of 199

Can you just swap out the chips?  I have been trained on soldiering chips but I'm not interested in soldering anything inside my AGD gear.  And can you just buy these chips (or did you get it from AGD)?

Quote:
SE in the house. Had to swap out the WM8805 for DIR9001 first. Firing it up now. Stay tuned.
biggrin.gif

Sep 28, 2011 at 4:27 PM Post #34 of 199
Yeah the spdif interface is modular. I couldn't decide which to go with, so I got both (with WM8805 installed by default) on Kingwa's advice. No soldering required. Just a single screw to undo after removing the case.

@ LiqTenExp - I agree with most of your impressions at this early stage. I'm only listening single ended at the moment, but it's evident this amp/dac is damn good value. The resolution, air and transparency was immediately apparent. The upper regions seem to go on forever. While I wouldn't describe it as etched or grainy though, it's missing that ultra smooth high end I'm familiar with, and I found it somewhat fatiguing with the LCD-2 rev.2 at moderate levels as a result. The HD650 on the other hand, has never sounded more lively. It reminds me of the Alessandro MS-1i's zest and energy, but with the Senn's more extended low end. Based on my experience with the FUN and testimonies from those familiar with Audio-GD components, I'm expecting burn in to make a difference.

Also, before actually hearing the Lyr fed by the SE's dac, I had already drawn the conclusion the Lyr's days were numbered in my rig. It was a pleasant surprise to find the Lyr elevated by the SE's dac and with that came the realisation my previous dac (the FUN) was a bottleneck. While both employ the WM8741, its implementation in the SE just presents more of the good stuff (weight, resolve, transparency, width, depth). The outcome here is that there are two distinct options available to me. The "reference sound" signature of the SE's amp or the less revealing but more coloured/dense/textured presentation the Lyr offers. I can't say one is "better" than the other at this stage, and again this is only single ended from the SE and without burn in. What's clear though, is that the Lyr has a place right next to the NFB-10SE. Hard to go past these two for a Swiss Army Knife rig on a modest budget.

Btw, I also agree the filters are subtle, but on some tracks the differences are quite significant (pay particular attention to vocals). In my listening session with the LCD-2 I toggled between 1, 5 and 9. I found the 4x linear phase less bright than filter 1, with more ambiance/air and slightly more forward vocals.

Sep 28, 2011 at 4:43 PM Post #35 of 199
Quote:
Also, before actually hearing the Lyr fed by the SE's dac, I had already drawn the conclusion the Lyr's days were numbered in my rig. It was a pleasant surprise to find the Lyr elevated by the SE's dac and with that came the realisation my previous dac (the FUN) was a bottleneck. While both employ the WM8741, its implementation in the SE just presents more of the good stuff (weight, resolve, transparency, width, depth). The outcome here is that there are two distinct options available to me. The "reference sound" signature of the SE's amp or the less revealing but more coloured/dense/textured presentation the Lyr offers. I can't say one is "better" than the other at this stage, and again this is only single ended from the SE and without burn in. What's clear though, is that the Lyr has a place right next to the NFB-10SE. Hard to go past these two for a Swiss Army Knife rig on a modest budget.

Exactly what I did not want to find out.  I ordered the NFB-10SE and while waiting for it I caught up on some much missed reading about the Lyr.  Needless to say I began to want it very badly.  Oh the internal struggle.  To find out that they would actually combine into a super-rig of Voltron-like proportions instead of having to choose one is not so good for my poor wallet.

Curse you Head-Fi!

Sep 28, 2011 at 5:46 PM Post #36 of 199
Yeah the spdif interface is modular. I couldn't decide which to go with, so I got both (with WM8805 installed by default) on Kingwa's advice. No soldering required. Just a single screw to undo after removing the case.

@ LiqTenExp - I agree with most of your impressions at this early stage. I'm only listening single ended at the moment, but it's evident this amp/dac is damn good value. The resolution, air and transparency was immediately apparent. The upper regions seem to go on forever. While I wouldn't describe it as etched or grainy though, it's missing that ultra smooth high end I'm familiar with, and I found it somewhat fatiguing with the LCD-2 rev.2 at moderate levels as a result. The HD650 on the other hand, has never sounded more lively. It reminds me of the Alessandro MS-1i's zest and energy, but with the Senn's more extended low end. Based on my experience with the FUN and testimonies from those familiar with Audio-GD components, I'm expecting burn in to make a difference.

Btw, I also agree the filters are subtle, but on some tracks the differences are quite significant (pay particular attention to vocals). In my listening session with the LCD-2 I toggled between 1, 5 and 9. I found the 4x linear phase less bright than filter 1, with more ambiance/air and slightly more forward vocals.

Having paid for mine this morning I'm excited to hear the DAC implementation is good and that it pairs fairly well with the LCD 2 as that will be its mate until I can afford my Phonitor.

I do worry a little about the fatique mentioned, but I've never found myself to have much of a problem there. Really excited about my upcoming rig and until those LCD 2s are on my head it'll be this guy and the HD 598.

Sep 28, 2011 at 6:12 PM Post #38 of 199
I did not like LCD-2 Rev2.  They were too bright.  You can imagine how perfect this amp is with LCD-2 Rev1 :)  It puts you right between the two sound signatures.

I too like the Lyr and NFB-10SE for the same reasons you do.  I am glad that my early findings are similar to yours and I'm not alone in my conclusions.

Sep 28, 2011 at 6:38 PM Post #40 of 199
I did not like LCD-2 Rev2.  They were too bright.  You can imagine how perfect this amp is with LCD-2 Rev1 :)  It puts you right between the two sound signatures.

I too like the Lyr and NFB-10SE for the same reasons you do.  I am glad that my early findings are similar to yours and I'm not alone in my conclusions.

After owning the HE 500 and appreciating the upper end a little more I think the Rev 2 will suit my tastes better than the rev 1. Though I'd like to A/B them sometime I'm not too concerned.

Sep 28, 2011 at 6:45 PM Post #41 of 199

Quote:

I'll do that Lyr (with A-frame Orange Globes) vs SE comparison you mentioned when I get my balanced cables.

Have you heard the Lorenz Stuttgart tubes in the Lyr? Listening to the HD650 at the moment with the SE into the Lyr. There's some pixie dust synergy at play here. Must... refrain... from posting hyperbole!
atsmile.gif

Sep 28, 2011 at 7:43 PM Post #42 of 199

Quote:
Having paid for mine this morning I'm excited to hear the DAC implementation is good and that it pairs fairly well with the LCD 2 as that will be its mate until I can afford my Phonitor.
I do worry a little about the fatique mentioned, but I've never found myself to have much of a problem there. Really excited about my upcoming rig and until those LCD 2s are on my head it'll be this guy and the HD 598.

You'll never get fatigue with an AGD product from my experience, it will be the headphone causing it or the need for burn-in (which I though was placebo until I had AGD products).

Sep 28, 2011 at 7:48 PM Post #44 of 199
I've never had one before. The Phoenix was at the top of my list when I was going to balance my HE 500, but then I took a step back from the hobby and it got pushed to the back.

Looking forward to my first AGD product.

Quote:
You'll never get fatigue with an AGD product from my experience, it will be the headphone causing it or the need for burn-in (which I though was placebo until I had AGD products).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back