Audio-gd FUN
Jan 19, 2010 at 6:03 AM Post #106 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmychan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What kind of opa are being used in the above tests?

I found the default 2134 sounded very flat and dull, I switched to SUN immediately and made a big difference, in terms of dynamic, soundstage and transparence.

As for me, I am using the LME49720 HA metal can version for the opamp.

Jan 19, 2010 at 3:02 PM Post #108 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmychan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This DAC output OPA plays a major part of the FUN. It seems to me it affects the sound quality more than the mid modules.

Couldn't it be that the differences in the mid modules are more likely to show up on harder to drive headphones like the HD650 and K701? Just my gamble.

Jan 20, 2010 at 6:09 PM Post #110 of 208
I've spent some time with the FUN.

The configuration I am listening to presently is the A-Config with the Earth HDAM in place.

I've made 3 comparisons so far

FUN <<>> Audio-GD REF 1/ Phoenix
FUN <<>> Audio-GD REF1/ DC 337SE
FUN <<>> Audio-GD Compass w/Earth HDAM

The FUN definitely stands away from the other 3 combos in characteristics. I compared to the higher end combos just to see how much value proposition there is. It does well in this respect.

The FUNs output level is sufficient for the cans I am using comprised of various Grados, mainly HF-2, Beyer 770-80s, Denon D5000. Senn HD650 owners will have to wait for Peete's review to see if it can handle it.

To sum the sound up, I would use the term "Tube-like" in the A-config. From about Female voice down to the low bass there is warmth and fullness to the sound. This is very apparant. This is probably where the FUN moniker comes from. The bass and midrange is VERY full, RICH and detailed.

If you think that A-GD gear is too neutral for you, you should most likely get your hands on this piece. I would like to see a freq curve on this gadget.

Eva Cassidy stuff that exhibits a ton of grunge, edge and hiss on the Grados with all the other gear was very smooth and non fatiguing. The hiss was rolled, voice was warmed up, and bass was highly detailed and emphasized. A "FUN" type of sound.

Some DCC Elvis tracks that have great clear voice and crystal clear orchestrations, but very edgy reverb seemed "equalized". Elvis's voice was Richer, bass-line was there I had never heard before. The reverb added to Elvis's voice that is normally almost unbearable on the Phoenix was smooth and natural sounding.

Some DCC Metalica that I have, showed very well with a nice combination of detail/layering and smoothness. Aaron Neville on Yellow Moon with some of his simple almost a capella arrangements really showed off his full rich voice. The bass beat lines were very nice on his cuts like Yellow Moon.

SRV- Little Wing/Third Stone From The Sun Live, well it sounds great on anything, but the FUN and the Grados were a really nice combo. The tube-like sound of the FUN with the FUN of the HF-2s yielded some serious Strat Lovin'!

This is definitely not a neutral sounding piece of gear in this config. The FUN name I believe comes from the FUN factor of the SQ and the FUN derived from module rolling. I may be wrong here, but I'm thinking that may be what was in his mind. The bass presence I heard was not present on any of the other gear compared. The other three combos used in the comparison all seem pretty neutral in comparison. Even the DV337SE with the tubes I am using(TS-5998, EF80) is a pretty neutral sounding amp. The FUN is definitely not flat and un-engaging.

Very well made, runs very cool. Only heat you feel in the box is if you put your fingers on the heatsinks of the PS regulators. And very little there.

Most listening done with Grado HF-2s. Can't put these things down!

Next up, the Neutral Module, I really want to hear how it changes the sound.

Jan 21, 2010 at 2:12 AM Post #112 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by loopfreak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice warm up !
One question , are high freq recessed with earth module ?

No, never heard that attributed to the earth. Listening to the Neutral module at present. Pretty big change. I'll listen some more and give a thumbnail description of the changes I'm hearing.

Jan 21, 2010 at 4:54 PM Post #114 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by loopfreak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Than I suppose they are not recessed.
(in your description there is not much about high freq extension)

Ahh I see, I didn't at first understand what you were asking. Has nothing to do with the Earth though. The ACSS module was about spot on in relation to highs, Flat. The midz and lows seem'd accentuated compared to my other Combinations.

The Neutral module does just what you would think it would do. The warmth is not all gone, but the midrange warmth is less apparant, and the bass emphasis is gone and back to what would be a Neutral presentation. The difference is pretty apparent. I would prefer the mids and highs of the Neutal module with the bass of the ACSS.

Maybe the Musical module or Dynamic module will do that!. It will be FUN to find out, to coin a phrase...

The different permutations here are practically endless.

Jan 22, 2010 at 11:52 PM Post #116 of 208
Has anyone use the FUN as a pre-amp?

Jan 23, 2010 at 12:46 AM Post #117 of 208
When mine arrives I'll give it a go as a preamp in my ref rig h.rav
smily_headphones1.gif

Mine is on the left coast of Canada right now...just another 2.5K miles to go !

Peete.

Jan 23, 2010 at 1:02 AM Post #118 of 208
Thanks Peete!

You should have shipped it to my address in the Northwest
biggrin.gif

Jan 23, 2010 at 1:11 AM Post #119 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by h.rav /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Peete!

You should have shipped it to my address in the Northwest
biggrin.gif

Or my parents house in Marysville
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Jan 23, 2010 at 1:54 AM Post #120 of 208
The interesting thing is that Kingwa suggests on the FUN web page that when using it as a standalone DAC, one should try that from the pre-amp output. I might have to give it a go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back