Audio-gd FUN
Jan 23, 2010 at 2:29 AM Post #121 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The interesting thing is that Kingwa suggests on the FUN web page that when using it as a standalone DAC, one should try that from the pre-amp output. I might have to give it a go.

Maybe it sounds more FUN that way!

Jan 23, 2010 at 2:55 AM Post #122 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe it sounds more FUN that way!

Your having a lot of FUN with this I take it
biggrin.gif

Peete.

PS: I'll have a look at the web page Curra. It seems to me it's just a dac---> preamp circuit but who knows, it might be a great deal better than the Compass because of the ACSS stages and the diamond buffer outputs. It sure will be interesting to see how it stacks up against the Sooooper Phoenix
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 23, 2010 at 3:09 AM Post #123 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your having a lot of FUN with this I take it
biggrin.gif

Peete.

It does give one a chance to turn a phrase doesn't it!

The combinations on this thing are practically endless.

I'm waiting for some LME49720NA that Curra suggested as well.

Jan 23, 2010 at 3:35 AM Post #124 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It does give one a chance to turn a phrase doesn't it!

The combinations on this thing are practically endless.

I'm waiting for some LME49720NA that Curra suggested as well.

I can hardly wait to dig in myself Les.....

What has impressed or surprised you the most over the Compass thus far ?

BTW thanks for the detailed initial report !

Peete.

Jan 23, 2010 at 3:59 AM Post #125 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can hardly wait to dig in myself Les.....

What has impressed or surprised you the most over the Compass thus far ?

BTW thanks for the detailed initial report !

Peete.

The modules seem to change it more. So the flavors change a lot with each change. The bass presence and warmth of the ACSS was a surprise. The bass wasn't a surprise so much as the warm/rich sound.

The ACSS/Earth/Diamond setup was what one would expect to hear from tubes. Warm, Rich, with presence. I like the Compass a lot, always enjoy listening to it. So it's FUN to compare them side by side.

It's definitely a continuation of he Compass theme. The Compass had jumpers to adjust Sound and swappable HDAMs. But most I think left the jumpers in Neutral, and picked a HDAM and it was for the most part the Earth. The FUN seems to show the changed modules off more to me. I've tried two Combos so far and they both sound good. I really only like the Compass with the Earth. It will be interesting to hear the Moon and SUN in this setup. They may show off better than they did on the Compass.

Jan 23, 2010 at 5:40 AM Post #126 of 208
My favourite OPAMPs for me currently are the OP27. At my local electronics shop they are the OP27G, but I don't know if the G has any significance. Two on a Browndog adaptor sound rather like the Sun, with a fraction less resolution than a HDAM but lovely mids. They cost me about $10 each, which might purely be because this is Japan and the shop is on average a bit expensive.

Jan 24, 2010 at 1:16 AM Post #127 of 208
Update:

Last two days played around with a few more modules.

Tried the Dynamic modules, but they are not working. I'll have to loop back around to KW for that. Dang! I wanted to do it next!

Musical Module: On the A-GD website it says "Sounds a bit tube-like, that is, a little soft, warm and musical." That's not how it sounded to me for some reason. It seemed a little leaner in the bass than the Neutral or ACSS boards. Very detailed mids and highs with emphasis to the highs. If you listen to a recording with sibilance, this module shows sibilance the best. Which is probably why it shows so much detail. Very clear detailed midrange. I felt this module was a little"cooler" than the Neutral module. Made the Compass sound a little muddled going back and forth. Actually the other modules kinda do that to the Compass as well.

While changing the modules I noticed under each gain module was an OPA2134PA. So, Ohhh Boy!! Another roll-able option!

Then I put in the FET output board. That board sounded warmer and a little more bass presence than the Diamond Buffer board. Not much difference though, just a little in the bass. This would be a taste call, both sounded nice and very close.

Then I put back in the ACSS modules that I would like to try for a while.

If you are switching modules, don't forget that the ACSS modules are a greatly different kettle of fish and you have to move 3 jumpers around and a ribbon cable. I would imagine that if you fail to do this, you might end up letting some of the magic smoke out! It's easy to forget about this when you are listening to a few songs at a time and swapping modules a lot. When I went to put the ACSS modles back in today, I started to put the modules back in before moving the jumpers. Not kewl.

The modules install very easily. The pin header receivers are accurately placed. Just take care when extracting them. They are not in super-tight, just wiggle them out evenly. Check the pins for straightness before installing the next module. I must have got a little sloppy at some point and tweaked one a little. The module didn't want to slip in, I pulled it off and checked the pins and had to straighten one.

Next up, some playtime with the SUN and MOON HDAMs. Glad I kept those on hand, they're going to supply me with some extra FUN now!

Jan 24, 2010 at 5:10 AM Post #128 of 208
Les, the OPA2134 has to do with power supply only, to keep the DC at zero (not something I understand audio circuits well enough to know how that works). According to Kingwa, there's no need to change it.

Jan 24, 2010 at 5:14 AM Post #129 of 208
Les those OPA2134 are just there as part of a DC Servo circuit to keep any DC on the output to 0v (I think I said that right) That's what it says on the FUN page at least
tongue.gif
It would probably be best *not* to change them since they should be selected specificallyto work as part of the overall DC Servo circuit - you might actually end up adding DC offest to the output if you change them.

*Dangit, I write too slowly. But yeah, read the product page Les!
redface.gif

Jan 24, 2010 at 5:27 AM Post #130 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Les, the OPA2134 has to do with power supply only, to keep the DC at zero (not something I understand audio circuits well enough to know how that works). According to Kingwa, there's no need to change it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadMan007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Les those OPA2134 are just there as part of a DC Servo circuit to keep any DC on the output to 0v (I think I said that right) That's what it says on the FUN page at least
tongue.gif
It would probably be best *not* to change them since they should be selected specificallyto work as part of the overall DC Servo circuit - you might actually end up adding DC offest to the output if you change them.

*Dangit, I write too slowly. But yeah, read the product page Les!
redface.gif

That would be bad rolling!

Jan 24, 2010 at 2:54 PM Post #131 of 208
Could take the fun out of the FUN....

Jan 24, 2010 at 5:14 PM Post #133 of 208
Aren't they also involved in keeping the negative feedback used in the output stages at 0V ? I could be wrong about that one though I haven't looked at that part of a circuit to much as of yet (maybe I'll have a look today before the NFL playoff games). I am still trying to wrap my head around digital filters,PLL circuits, master clocks etc...to do with the differences between the Alterra chip (DSP1 Cyclone II) and the usual suspects (DIR9001, DF1704, CS841X series etc). I wonder if Kingwa is going to incorporate the series III version at some point ?

Peete.

PS: Oh cool slim.a I'll give her a read right away. I need a pleasant distraction from the techno-babble contained in the Alterra data sheets (and the other chips) and your blurb is the perfect excuse for me to take a break before my bean explodes
biggrin.gif

Jan 24, 2010 at 8:00 PM Post #134 of 208
Then why not go straight for the Cyclone IV?
tongue.gif

Wouldn't Kingwa's main concern with going for the Cyclone III or IV be the PLLs and not so much the extra compute capabilities the new models have? Extra compute capabilities may only be of use to Kingwa if he has any need for more complex calculations, but any overhead never hurts I guess.

I believe this is the version Kingwa uses: Buy On-Line - BuyAltera.com

Jan 24, 2010 at 11:13 PM Post #135 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by Helmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then why not go straight for the Cyclone IV?
tongue.gif

Wouldn't Kingwa's main concern with going for the Cyclone III or IV be the PLLs and not so much the extra compute capabilities the new models have? Extra compute capabilities may only be of use to Kingwa if he has any need for more complex calculations, but any overhead never hurts I guess.

I believe this is the version Kingwa uses: Buy On-Line - BuyAltera.com

Any of you guys thaought about TTL'ing into the Cyclone chip? There's a port on the board...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back