Audio-gd FUN
Jan 15, 2010 at 12:14 AM Post #91 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by EntropyQ3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It would be unfortunate (but also understandable) if the modularity of this device was both its main attraction and the cause of its weakest spot in terms of construction. I would be very interested to hear your thoughts on the quality and long term integrity of the internal connections.

You could always get some Deoxit.
wink.gif

It does say on the FUN web page: [size=x-small]"When owners replace the modules, please make sure the modules are install correctly. If owners install the modules had wrong, maybe will shatter the modules or the FUN motherboard. In this case, We guarantee to keep FUN in working condition without charging any labor cost, but owners will need pay for shipping charges both ways." [/size]So I think he has thought of that issue already.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wouldn't the LME49720 show its plasticky tone and "rolled-up" highs in the FUN just as in the Compass? I would recommend a LT1364/1363 or some AD's. OPA2134/2132 isn't that bad at all, though.

Might have been the headphones I was trying them with at the time, the HF-2s. Oh well, there are quite a few OPAMPs out there one can try. What got me about some that were great in the Zero, such as the LT1364 or LM4562 is that they sounded awful in the Compass compared to the HDAMs.

Jan 15, 2010 at 1:03 AM Post #92 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Might have been the headphones I was trying them with at the time, the HF-2s. Oh well, there are quite a few OPAMPs out there one can try. What got me about some that were great in the Zero, such as the LT1364 or LM4562 is that they sounded awful in the Compass compared to the HDAMs.

I did not find either of those to sound that bad compared to the HDAMs. The HDAMs were just a little better overall (at everything
tongue_smile.gif
). The LM4562 (LME49710/49720) sounds very balanced, refined, and so smooth and detailed in the Compass, but that plasticky tone gets to me. They sound atrocious in my Minibox-E+, lol. The LT1363 sounds alright in the Compass. Maybe it is because I only use the single versions on a 2x1 adapter. OPA2134/2132 are the only dual opamps I have besides the HDAMs.

Each opamp offers a different flavor, but won't be that much of an improvement over the already decent 2134/2132. Then there's those more expensive opamps that one can try, but at the prices they go for, one might as well go for one of the HDAMs anyway and be done with it.

Now I'm curious as to how the gain modules (except the ACSS ones) compare to the chip gain modules with mono HDAMs in it, lol.
How would the soundstage be with Earths in the amp and DAC sections?
=P

Well, I leave the playing around to you.

Jan 15, 2010 at 8:19 AM Post #93 of 208
Mine is still in transit ...I picked up CL's fried FBI-500 last Saturday (my god it's a heavy beast) so I've been busy with that all week and kinda forgot all about the FUN being en route
biggrin.gif

Looks like a few of you already have yours, cool
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Jan 15, 2010 at 11:35 AM Post #94 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could always get some Deoxit.
wink.gif

It does say on the FUN web page: [size=x-small]"When owners replace the modules, please make sure the modules are install correctly. If owners install the modules had wrong, maybe will shatter the modules or the FUN motherboard. In this case, We guarantee to keep FUN in working condition without charging any labor cost, but owners will need pay for shipping charges both ways." [/size]So I think he has thought of that issue already.

Actually the issue is fresh with me because I just went over my entire Hi-Fi setup with Deoxit since we recently moved and I used the opportunity to get it done. And when I did, it was quite depressingly obvious that I should have done it earlier. The idea of connections that sit inside the case, subject to heat (that makes corrosion faster) and heat/cold cycles that cause contraction and expansion in joints - lets just say that it would simply feel better if I could see active measures taken to minimize any potential problem.

The external connections of the FUN looks quite good - they look to be the same as on the Compass, and I have no issue with that whatsoever. The impression I have of the internal is that they aren't up to the same standard. But then, that is only an impression since I don't have the equipment on hand. In the shot of the Gain area of the PCB, the sockets look as if they may or may not be gold plated, but I haven't seen anything of the male side on the plug-in board. Are the legs made of the same metal as the socket? The wired connections I could see looked pretty much like any standard motherboard fan power socket.

That things can break due to ham fisted owners making changes is really another issue, and I'm surprised that his replacement policy is as generous as it is. Although that would also be an interesting question for you early testers - how straight forward does it feel to change the circuit boards? Do they slip on easily, lowering risk for breakage? And if so, do you still feel confident that they make a positive and secure connection when you make the change?

Jan 15, 2010 at 1:58 PM Post #95 of 208
The plug/sockets are of similar type to OPAMP socket pins, so in effect it's the same degree of contact you get when using a Browndog adaptor with OPAMPs. They appear to be gold-plated. It's probably not their ideal use, as they are really designed to hold ICs which have wider legs than the pins are, but all the ACSS modules in all his gear have been socketed this way without issue as far as I know and the fit is snug, not at all loose, except with the HDAMs which move easily. I've never had drop-outs or any issue that suggest bad contact though. I have it in mind to put Deoxit on everything connect-able when I get around to getting some.

Jan 18, 2010 at 2:13 PM Post #97 of 208
Quick first impressions :

I received the Audio-GD FUN friday.

Build quality:
While I slightly prefer the aesthetics of the FUN box, I feel it is not as convenient to open as the older box (dac19mk3, c2c, compass). You need now 8 screws instead of 4 for the older units.
However, the new enclosure is lighter which should save money on shipping weight.
When I first open it, I was positively surprised about the construction inside. I had seen pictures of the inside before, but I was really surprised to see so many components inside. You don't really expect to see that much high quality components on a $300 dac/headamp.

Sound quality:

These are just my preliminary impressions. I will write a longer/more complete review when I spend enough time with the unit and when the burn-in is complete. For now, I have been using it with the ACSS current gain modules.

DAC section:
The sound is pretty good and it seems to me that the DAC section is better than the discontinued DAC-100 (dac section of the Compass) and better than the EMU 0404 usb. However, it is not a match for the dac19mk3.
Also, it seems to me that the usb input has been improved as it is closer to the coaxial input than it used to be with the dac-100. I will still have to confirm that by further testing (I used a Wireworld ultraviolet usb cable for the usb input vs m2tech hiface for coaxial).
I did also a quick comparison between the AD1852 and the Wolflson WM8740 chip. The AD1852 is very detailed and clear sounding while the Wolfson is more "laid back" and warmer sounding. As a result, the AD1852 is more "digital sounding" than the warmer WM8740.
However, when using upsampling (44.1 -> 88.2) it removed some of hte digitis from both DA chips and I ended preferring the AD1852.
By the way, my ears have become more sensitive to the digital edginess of dela-sigma DA chips since the time I have been listening to the dac19mk3 which is one of the most analog sounding dacs I have heard to date (along with the Audiomat Tempo DAC 2.5) which is using PCM1704uk chips.
Anyway, with both DACs (AD1852, WM8740), the sound is much more enjoyable than the emu 0404 usb (which uses AK4397) and the less detailed and older dac-100.

Amp section:
The amp section is very good. It gives a well defined soundstage with good depth (using a Silver cabled Sennheiser hd-650). Overall, the sound extends beyond the head which is not something many amps can do with the Sennheiser hd-650. By the way, I was unable to find the stock sennheiser cable, so I can't tell how such a configuration will sound with the FUN. If I can find them back, I will update my report accordingly.
However, in comparison the C2C, it doesn't reach as deep in the bass, and has a narrower soundstage.
I also tried the FET output module and I slightly prefer it to the Diamond output module because it seems to provide better bass.

Wrap-up :

Those are only preliminary findings, so take them with a grain of salt. I am still in the process of burning-in the unit (using the Isotek burn-in CD), and I only had a short listening to the unit and the sound is still changing a lot to give definitive conclusions. I will post a more complete review in about a week.

Jan 18, 2010 at 2:17 PM Post #98 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by loopfreak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hope that someone will find some time and give a proper review?
I'm very interested with this combo!

Funny thing, I was writing my first impressions when you posted your message!

Well, as I mentioned in the post above, those are only preliminary findings. If the FUN behaves like the Compass and other audio-gd gear, we are looking for 300-400 of burn-in before the sound stabilizes and there are a lot of modules to try out ... so patience
darthsmile.gif

Jan 18, 2010 at 2:34 PM Post #99 of 208
I had a go yesterday comparing the modules. The results were interesting. I was using my Symphones Magnums (very highly modified Grado SR-325/Alessandro MS2i) and listening to the Cowboy Junkies. This was a deliberately poor combination, as the Magnums are very bright and the Cowboy Junkies have sibilance in the recordings, but it allowed me to pick up on a few things specifically regarding the tonality of the different modules. With all the below, I had an Earth HDAM in the DAC section, which is tonally closest to neutral and my source was optical from a CD player using the stock cable.

First, the Gain Stage: I think we can roughly equate the "Neutral", "Dynamic" and "Musical" B-mode modules to the Earth, Sun and Moon HDAMs respectively. I don't know if the circuits are similar, but the Musical module definitely sounds like the Moon, with slightly recessed mids or slightly stronger bass and treble (whichever way you want to look at it). This makes the music sound more spacious and slightly more entertaining. The A-mode ACSS module definitely sounds less forced and the music more spacious than the B-mode modules without altering the tonality.

Second, the output modules: The diamond buffer module is more sharp and the FET module more musical and relaxed. I could be wrong, but I gathered FET circuits are slightly rolled-off in the treble, which seems to make some sense as anything that definitely was rolled off made the sibilance in the Cowboy Junkies recordings less annoying. The FET module was a nicer combination with the bright Magnums.

Third: The DACs: The word that always comes to mind with the AD1852 is wood. That is, as in wood instrument or quality wood furniture. It doesn't produce as smooth and as natural a sound as a PCM1704UK (but then almost nothing does) but I reckon I might happily live with a high-end DAC built around one, especially as its measurements are far better than the Wolfson's (check their data sheets if you don't believe me). On the other hand, with the Wolfson DA1740, I thought of glass, as glass-like smoothness. However, after some back-and-forth, where the instruments weren't as sharp and punchy and the sibilance in the music wasn't as prominent, I'm pretty sure the treble is considerably more rolled-off with it than the AD1852.

A short comparison of the DIR modules suggests that the DIR9000 definitely brings out the most detail of the two.

The result was I could switch modules to adapt the FUN to the bright Magnums to negate harshness and (from the recording) sibilance in the treble with the stock (neutrally-toned) gain modules without having to use the "Soft" mode jumpers. When I'm not feeling lazy, I will try and do a bunch of RMAA tests with the modules to see if I can work out what is going on and try a few different OPAMPs in the DAC.

Edit: I just read slim.a's review after I posted mine, so some thoughts: I wish I still had HD-600s, but slim.a's comments about the narrower soundstage with the FUN correspond to my experience with the Compass when using Senns. It doesn't surprise me that he prefers the diamond output module to the FET with the darker HD-650s as I had a similar feeling with the darker Grado HF-2s. While I don't have the Compass handy, I'm willing to bet that an A-mode FUN's headamp will be an improvement in detail, its ability to drive headphones (with the corresponding effect on soundstage) will be similar to the Compass, or marginally better. This probably means it will probably be a better match with lower impedance headphones for the most part. It certainly isn't that great with HD-800s, but they do have an impedance curve from hell, so I wasn't surprised.

Jan 18, 2010 at 3:00 PM Post #100 of 208
all this audio-gd stuff looks quite intresting and well built, might be my next purchase!

Jan 19, 2010 at 2:18 AM Post #102 of 208
What kind of opa are being used in the above tests?

I found the default 2134 sounded very flat and dull, I switched to SUN immediately and made a big difference, in terms of dynamic, soundstage and transparence.

Jan 19, 2010 at 4:38 AM Post #103 of 208
Pretty informative first impressions Curra and slim.a, thanks guys
smily_headphones1.gif
....I wish I could add to those impressions but my FUN is still out in the EMS wilderness somewhere..... The tracking page hasn't updated for a week now. I'm not worried though...it'll show. In the meantime I will busy myself with the ongoing FBI-500 rebuild.

Peete.

Jan 19, 2010 at 4:40 AM Post #104 of 208
jimmychan: I agree. I was using the Earth HDAM. Other than that, I use 2x OP27G on a Browdog adaptor.

Jan 19, 2010 at 5:18 AM Post #105 of 208
My finding in FUN is the SUN has better soundstage and dynamic over Earth. Personally, I like SUN as the front end and you can change the mid modules to tune the sound you like.

My setup: FUN A + SUN + DAC8730 + default drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back