Audio-gd FUN
Jan 13, 2010 at 8:56 AM Post #76 of 208
I am enjoying the FUN A with Sun and BA8740. The default OPA sounded dull and flat compare with Sun. I don't think you can run without an OPA in the socket.

The dynamic and clarity are better than my Compass at first impression, but I like the tank look chassis of Compass.

It generates very little heat, I prefer the cover without any grill to avoid dust get into it.
I am using a transparent tape to cover it.

Jan 13, 2010 at 9:12 AM Post #77 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmychan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am enjoying the FUN A with Sun and BA8740. The default OPA sounded dull and flat compare with Sun. I don't think you can run without an OPA in the socket.

The dynamic and clarity are better than my Compass at first impression, but I like the tank look chassis of Compass.

It generates very little heat, I prefer the cover without any grill to avoid dust get into it.
I am using a transparent tape to cover it.

Interesting, but believe it or not, it will play without an OPA. I wasn't making that up. But it doesn't sound good.

It's becoming apparent why he might have called it FUN. I wouldn't call it Neutral or boring. I think he's got a real winner here. I swapped an Earth in and very rich and detailed. Very much enjoyed some SRV Live on it tonight. Beautiful distortion detail. Also some DCC ReMastered Metallica, very nice on Metal.

Jan 13, 2010 at 9:48 AM Post #79 of 208
What about dac section? Is it significaly better than compas and or any comparasion?

Jan 13, 2010 at 9:55 AM Post #80 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fantoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am considering this unit or a LD setup (DAC and MKV/MKVII) for AKG 701. Any comments?

I had a MKV, pretty weak piece of gear. Made well, just pretty low Gain. I could peg the Vol control. He may have changed it though, that was about 8 months ago.

Jan 13, 2010 at 10:32 AM Post #82 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had a MKV, pretty weak piece of gear. Made well, just pretty low Gain. I could peg the Vol control. He may have changed it though, that was about 8 months ago.

With which phones?

Jan 13, 2010 at 12:46 PM Post #83 of 208
Initial impressions (because I know people are waiting for them):

The box, with all available modules arrived and surprisingly was only 5kg in weight. This lack of weight I discovered was a result of the new style box, which I honestly think looks more professional than the pleasantly solid, but aluminium overkill on the Compass. Some people will disagree, but that's fair enough.

Two boxes full of modules were slotted neatly the side sections of foam that hold the main box. The modules themselves were, as with the FUN itself, over-packed, which is good on the one hand, but makes unpacking a bit scary. I think Kingwa will have to be introduced to Scotch Magic Tape or that string tape they use when packing commercial devices such as printers that hold everything from moving, yet can be removed and re-used cleanly without leaving residue. So, the packing has improved, but could be improved yet further if Kingwa considers the customer's experience when un-packing.

web.jpg

Mine arrived missing the OPA2134 in the DAC, not a problem for me, as I have plenty of OPAMPs to consider, but I thought it might be good to re-consider the differences between it and the HDAMs and other OPAMPs. Kingwa sent me an email to apologise for the mistake too. I noticed the screws on the modules seemed to be glued in place. However, a quick check revealed this to be some kind of easily removable glue that was put in place obviously to stop the modules coming loose. If one is just buying the unit and never intends to open it to change anything, then it will be good. This is also handy as one can push the screws onto the tip of one's screwdriver when replacing them and they'll stick there, making it easier. The ground point screw for HDAM use is also raised up I imagine to stop accidental damage of the surrounding circuits, which is a clever idea.

web.jpg

Plugging everything and putting on some music resulted in no sound. Pushing the various front-panel buttons revealed that a couple of their settings were counter-intuitive of what I'd expected them to do. You push the gain button in to lower the gain. To get music to come out the headphone socket, you push in the Line Out button. The Line In button, however, pushed in cuts out the DAC and enables the line in.

The modules had the usual "price tag" sticky labels on them. Why the silk screen print on the boards doesn't include their names I don't know, because they should, along with where they slot. However, it only takes a couple of minutes and a look at the FUN web page to remember what is what and where it goes.

It's too early for sound impressions, but my early experimentation suggests that, like the Compass, it's going to fare better with low-impedance headphones such as Grados and Denons than high-impedance headphones such as those from Sennheiser. Not to say that it is bad with any headphones but that I'd try and get at least a C2C if I had HD-600s or 650s for example as with, say, live music with a large soundstage sounded collapsed with the Compass and HD-600s.

By the way, if you want a cheap upgrade to the OPA2134 but don't want to spring for an Earth HDAM, get an LME49720 OPAMP instead. It's not as nice as the Earth (and for some reason marginally worse than two single-channel LME49710s on a Browndog adaptor) but is a big improvement.

web.jpg

Jan 13, 2010 at 4:17 PM Post #84 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fantoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With which phones?

I could peg it with HD650s and turn way up with D5000s for a few REF points. That was one of the things with that amp that I didn't like. It felt like it was asthmatic.

Jan 13, 2010 at 4:49 PM Post #85 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By the way, if you want a cheap upgrade to the OPA2134 but don't want to spring for an Earth HDAM, get an LME49720 OPAMP instead. It's not as nice as the Earth (and for some reason marginally worse than two single-channel LME49710s on a Browndog adaptor) but is a big improvement.

Thanx for the OPA reference!

Jan 13, 2010 at 9:01 PM Post #86 of 208
I'm really looking forward to reviews of how this performs with some HD600's attached to it. I'm currently trying to pick up some HD580's or HD600's for cheap and would like to make sure this is a good platform to drive them. I'm sure with the right modules here and there, it should work out quite well. I figure my tube amp is good for my audio technica's and grado's, and I can probably use the amp portion for sennheiser cans. Or even for the grado's and ATH's depending on how it performs. Who knows...

Can't wait for impressions. Please be sure to include info on the HD580/HD600 if you guys can!

Jan 13, 2010 at 9:47 PM Post #87 of 208
How does the DAC compare to the to the DAC in the Compass?

Jan 14, 2010 at 12:22 PM Post #88 of 208
Looks like every fun owner listening continuously. No time for comments
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 14, 2010 at 12:58 PM Post #89 of 208
Thanks guys for sharing your initial impressions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Plugging everything and putting on some music resulted in no sound. Pushing the various front-panel buttons revealed that a couple of their settings were counter-intuitive of what I'd expected them to do. You push the gain button in to lower the gain. To get music to come out the headphone socket, you push in the Line Out button. The Line In button, however, pushed in cuts out the DAC and enables the line in.

I hope this is changed to a consistent "push in" = "enable".

My major concern with this unit however is regarding the quality of the internal connections. The external jacks are quite secure and the RCA-jacks seem well suited to a long life of service. As far as I have been able to tell from the images, the internal connectors however seem to have no anti-corrosive steps taken, and it is difficult to judge how secure the internal connections will be over time. (With the exception of electrolytic caps failing and oxidized potentiometers, just about all other problems I've run into with electronics have been caused by connections and joints.)

It would be unfortunate (but also understandable) if the modularity of this device was both its main attraction and the cause of its weakest spot in terms of construction. I would be very interested to hear your thoughts on the quality and long term integrity of the internal connections.

Jan 14, 2010 at 4:20 PM Post #90 of 208
Isn't best for those inputs' cables to be soldered directly to the pcb like in the Compass?
Those modules look really cool. I imagine the "dynamic" ones will sound SUN-like, and the "musical" MOON-like.

Wouldn't the LME49720 show its plasticky tone and "rolled-up" highs in the FUN just as in the Compass? I would recommend a LT1364/1363 or some AD's. OPA2134/2132 isn't that bad at all, though.

I wonder if he might make an upgrade amp board for the Compass. =P
I know, wishful and improbable, but whatever, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back