Audio-gd Digital Interface
Dec 18, 2012 at 5:15 AM Post #3,406 of 4,156
I received my DI-V3s yesterday. In the package were the spare firmware, an LED which I supposed is for changing to a less brighter one than the one installed on the DI-V3s, along some resistors to modify the DI-V1 PSU to power-up the DI-V3s. 

Initial impressions are the DI-V3s sounded much clearer and detailed than the DI-VI, and it's noticeable I no longer have problems with the occasional 'ticks" usually heard from the DI-VI which indicated drop-outs. So far, there's no issue of any drop-outs or glitches with audio even when the PC is under heavy load from doing other things. Sonically, it's sounded just a little warm and transients slightly blurred but it is still very early yet as it has not been burn-in fully. I might upgrade to a Tentlabs XO later since I had great results from one used in the earlier DI-V1. Right now, it is just using stock.

Will update later when it's fully burned in.

Dec 18, 2012 at 6:22 AM Post #3,407 of 4,156
do you have a te8802 based DI (di-v2) to compare DI-v3 to it?
also, does your DI-v3 have upsampling function?

Dec 18, 2012 at 6:59 AM Post #3,408 of 4,156
Quote:
Why no AES/EBU output?

He is using the VIA USB32 chipset now, not the Tenor and that has I2S output. AES/EBU would be dependent on the quality of the transformers for the quality of the transmission AFAIK.

Dec 18, 2012 at 2:42 PM Post #3,409 of 4,156
Quote:
do you have a te8802 based DI (di-v2) to compare DI-v3 to it?
also, does your DI-v3 have upsampling function?

No, I don't. Only the DI-V1. The DI-V3 doesn't have any upsampling function. Kingwa mentioned that since the jitter is so low, he felt a DSP3 isn't needed to reclock. 

I did however, ask if it was possible if the USB32 be incorporated into the DI-DSP since I really like a DI-DSP with USB32 with upsampling and Jitter reclocker for other devices. He said it is possible as a special order. I might do that at a later date since I really like the DI-V3s now. 

Dec 19, 2012 at 11:35 AM Post #3,410 of 4,156
Quote:
I received my DI-V3s yesterday. In the package were the spare firmware, an LED which I supposed is for changing to a less brighter one than the one installed on the DI-V3s, along some resistors to modify the DI-V1 PSU to power-up the DI-V3s. 

Initial impressions are the DI-V3s sounded much clearer and detailed than the DI-VI, and it's noticeable I no longer have problems with the occasional 'ticks" usually heard from the DI-VI which indicated drop-outs. So far, there's no issue of any drop-outs or glitches with audio even when the PC is under heavy load from doing other things. Sonically, it's sounded just a little warm and transients slightly blurred but it is still very early yet as it has not been burn-in fully. I might upgrade to a Tentlabs XO later since I had great results from one used in the earlier DI-V1. Right now, it is just using stock.

Will update later when it's fully burned in.

just got mine usb-power yesterday, i second your impression. and easy to blow away logitech touch.
no annoying drop out issue 

Dec 23, 2012 at 7:47 AM Post #3,411 of 4,156
Just a short update. It's been 150 hours of burn-in. Pretty much left it power-up since earlier listening when I first got it. After that I switched back to the SPDIF feed from my Juli@ card. I switched over to the DI-V3s just now just to get an impression of the sonics and if there's any changes to the inital sonic impression I posted earlier. 

The DI-V3s seem to have opened out and no longer feels that warm. Listening to the same piece of music, it appears that transients are more apparent, and there's a fuller body to the sound. And soundstage have improved, sound wider and deeper. 

Will post again when it's past 300 hours. I'm considering getting an XO upgrade.

Jan 3, 2013 at 7:03 AM Post #3,413 of 4,156
Hello

I am using Windows XP Service pack2.

Apologies for being a pleb but I have a question for you.  I have just taken delivery of a DI V3.  Most of my files are flac which I play through cplay.  I have managed to get this working (although it has just lost a connection and found it again on restarting).  Anyway my question relates to foobar2000.  I have installed the drivers that are on the audio gd site but I can only get any sound out via ds:audio gd. showing up on the output I have asio4all and ks:audio gd and i have also installed foo_out ks in the components section but this does not show up in foobar output   

I know foobar is supposed to be simple and I can usually figure it out by playing around with it but I am stumped this time.  Any ideas as to how I can get KS working? 

Thanks.

Edit : I have just played about with the buffer settings on Asio and it works now.  Would still welcome advice on the bestt settings though.

Jan 3, 2013 at 9:59 AM Post #3,414 of 4,156
Have you tried wasapi?

http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_out_wasapi

oops, sorry, wasapi is not for you, you have Windows XP....

Jan 12, 2013 at 1:33 PM Post #3,419 of 4,156
My apologies to all who may have been waiting for my update. Been really busy on a shoot so hardly had time to have a propere listening session. Originally intended to give an impression of the DI-V3s against the DI-V1 in the DAC19DSP (with the PMD-100 mod as well as the DSP-1) and FUN.

Here's a quick note:

Details are much clearer. Low level details and especially ambiance of the recording are much in evidence. The DI-V1, even with the Tentlabs clock upgrade, is like heavy blanket covering the sonic perspective. The DI-V3s is like an open window. 

The initial warmth-like nature of the DI-V3 seems to have opened up. It's sound more neutral now. 

Instrumental timbres definitely have better body and textures. I can hear the cymbals as real cymbals, with a metallic body and a slight overhang in the air of the crash (for want of a better description). Piano and violin sound fantastic.  

I am using it with the DI-V1 PSU but powering through a Wireworld Starlight seems to seems to add a layer of warmth. Prefer it with the PSU. 

In Windows, Using driver version V1.20 gives me ASIO playback but V1.22 for some reason ASIO is playing but there's no sound from the DAC. Probably a DAC issue. WASAPI works great on all driver versions.

Works great in MAC. Although I have to switch it to 24 bit instead of 32 bit in the audio and Midi control panel before there's any sound from the DAC.

This is just a brief note as I am on a shoot and am writing this off as I remembered them. Hopefully I'll be able to provide a better description of my experience with the DI-V3s soon. So far, I am very happy with it and there are no issue with driver crashing or clicks or pops or drop-outs on my system. 

And yes, I definitely enjoyed listening to music streaming from my PC via the DI-V3s to the DAC19DSP. Real musicality.

Jan 14, 2013 at 7:16 AM Post #3,420 of 4,156
rhythmic_impulse,

Thanks for this first complete review! :wink:

I will buy one, without PSU, to connect my AudioPC and Blu-ray, so this is always a great help...

About your review, it seems that DI is a neutral product, and that is really great because we don't want another layer changing our sound...

I will look at your better review... :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back