Audio-gd Digital Interface
Dec 7, 2012 at 7:05 AM Post #3,391 of 4,156
The new DI V3 is up for order!

I wonder how it compares to the DI-DSP previously released. Anyone order one yet?

Dec 7, 2012 at 7:25 AM Post #3,392 of 4,156
Judging from the pictures, I think the new DI-V3 is a modified version of DI-V2 with the USB-32 module soldered onto the earlier DI-V2. I did ask once if it was possible to modify the DI-DSP with the USB-32 chip bypassing the onboard TE8022 so that I can have the upsampling and de-jitter function. Kingwa said it is possible and it is done by soldering the module on the pre-existing board.

I'm tempted to order the DI-V3S. I don't need the coaxial input. Kingwa said as current DI's uses the USB32 it has the lowest jitter and the most neutral among the DI versions.

Quote:
i don't quite get the point of having a coax-in on the new one since they don't have DSP and i guess it was exactly the DSP that provided the de-jittering
i guess they also don't have upsampling, right?

I asked Kingwa about this. Here's his reply:

"The DI-V3 can reduce jitter for middle and low range source connect coaxial input , but without upsampling ability .
The DI-DSP based on USB32 have upsampling , but without I2S output socket ."

Dec 7, 2012 at 10:51 AM Post #3,393 of 4,156
Hi,

I have a DAC that is a bit better than DACMagic, and its inputs are Toslink/SPDIF 24bit/192kHz and USB 16bit/48kHz(not asynchronous).

I'm building a HTPC, similar to Computer Audiophile Pocket Server C.A.P.S. v3 Topanga, and want to use the USB port for audio output.

Do you think Audio-gd DI-V3 will be a noticeable improvement, connecting trough SPDIF to my DAC?

I'm also thinking of using it to connect my Blu-ray player and improve its sound...

Thanks

Dec 7, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #3,394 of 4,156
Quote:
Hi,

I have a DAC that is a bit better than DACMagic, and its inputs are Toslink/SPDIF 24bit/192kHz and USB 16bit/48kHz(not asynchronous).

I'm building a HTPC, similar to Computer Audiophile Pocket Server C.A.P.S. v3 Topanga, and want to use the USB port for audio output.

Do you think Audio-gd DI-V3 will be a noticeable improvement, connecting trough SPDIF to my DAC?

I'm also thinking of using it to connect my Blu-ray player and improve its sound...

Thanks

Yes but subtle- probably get more difference with a DSP version if Kingwa will make it for you. I use my old DI-DSP to upsample an old Pioneer CD changer from 15 years ago and it makes a nice improvement in separation of sounds, with a more 3D effect- again, it's subtle if I haven't  mentioned that enough.

Dec 7, 2012 at 8:58 PM Post #3,395 of 4,156
Quote:
Yes but subtle- probably get more difference with a DSP version if Kingwa will make it for you. I use my old DI-DSP to upsample an old Pioneer CD changer from 15 years ago and it makes a nice improvement in separation of sounds, with a more 3D effect- again, it's subtle if I haven't  mentioned that enough.

Now I can't buy a better DAC, so this seems to be the best option.

The DSP version is not an option for me, because I prefer bit-perfect...

Dec 10, 2012 at 2:21 AM Post #3,399 of 4,156
Quote:
No, I prefer the original source, not what someone though that should be...
wink.gif

Then you would only ever attend concerts and recording sessions or play your own instrument?

Dec 10, 2012 at 5:35 AM Post #3,400 of 4,156
Quote:

Then you would only ever attend concerts and recording sessions or play your own instrument?

I know what you mean, but that is an incorrect analogy :wink:

One thing is deliberately change the original source, like up-sampling, another thing is that everyone has different ears and ways to interpret what they listen... :wink:
On Head-Fi/Hi-Fi the main objective is to reproduce the source has best as possible, taking in count that every brand have their signature because is physically impossible to achieve the live(only instruments)/perfect sound, but they don't change the source.

Dec 10, 2012 at 10:04 AM Post #3,401 of 4,156
Upsampling via the DSP-1/3 only improves air/3D and instrument/ vocal positioning and reduce jitter, it doesn't alter like sound like you're thinking. It's not Dolby headphone, etc. Think of it as a filter, not a processor (even though it is).

Dec 10, 2012 at 10:40 AM Post #3,402 of 4,156
Quote:
Upsampling via the DSP-1/3 only improves air/3D and instrument/ vocal positioning and reduce jitter, it doesn't alter like sound like you're thinking. It's not Dolby headphone, etc. Think of it as a filter, not a processor (even though it is).

I understand that, but has you said, that is not the original.

A good/balanced system doesn't need filters, equalizers, etc.

But I'm perfectly fine with those who want to use up-sampling, filters, etc.
This is just my opinion about what approach we should have to achieve the best sound... :wink:

You doesn't know the RMS jitter of this version, just to have a reference (doesn't mean that is best or worse)? How this is comparable to Yulong U18?

Dec 16, 2012 at 9:34 AM Post #3,405 of 4,156
Why no AES/EBU output?

Also this seems to be the closest competition around the same price range with no issues reported thus far. (I know of 1.)

It uses the TE8802L chip

This has AES/EBU and I2S standard.   

Would like to see a comparison if possible.

http://shop.grantfidelity.com/Yulong-U18-Asynchronous-24-192-USB-Digital-Interface.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back