Audio-gd Digital Interface
Jan 21, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #3,437 of 4,156
My new NFB-27 came with the firmware #4 already installed. It did not work properly with the Squeezebox Touch. I just got heavily distorted sound (as if the USB receiver was mixing data from left & right channels. Hard to describe but a total mess). I could get it to work only once on several trials and it stopped working after I turn the light off (which always stopped the playback for few seconds with this firmware!?).

I switched back to firmware #3 and everything works fine (the playback still stops when I turn the light off sometimes, but much less often :D)

Yes but with firmware #3 it's probably only working in adaptive mode which is supposed to be inferior to asynchronous mode.

It's quite confusing with FIRMWARE #4 referring to the audio-gd chip and KERNEL#4 referring to SBT.

I can't find any kernel installer anywhere other than the one that's included in the EDO applet. And I would like to get it working in async mode with the VT1731 chip.

Jan 21, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #3,439 of 4,156
Quote:
Yes but with firmware #3 it's probably only working in adaptive mode which is supposed to be inferior to asynchronous mode.

How do you figure this? The reason I ask is, this kind of casual comment can become false fact fast without confirmation. 
smile.gif

Jan 22, 2013 at 4:49 AM Post #3,441 of 4,156
Quote:

How do you figure this? The reason I ask is, this kind of casual comment can become false fact fast without confirmation. 
smile.gif

I read about it here (at The Well Tempered Computer):
"Asynchronous USB looks to be the perfect solution. You configure your PC for bit-perfect output and the DAC takes care of the timing totally independent of the timing of the PC."
"Asynchronous mode is not better by design but by implementation because you can implement a top quality (low jitter) clock in the DAC."

Also I feel it's the general opinion over on computeraudiophile.com
But I understand it depends on the implementation which is why I would like to try SBT async with a DI-V3 which has very little jitter according to Kingwa. Also there are reports that the clock in SBT is nothing to boast about.

Sorry if I didn't make myself clear and caused some confusion.

Jan 22, 2013 at 6:12 AM Post #3,443 of 4,156
Quote:
Quote:

smile.gif

I read about it here (at The Well Tempered Computer):
"Asynchronous USB looks to be the perfect solution. You configure your PC for bit-perfect output and the DAC takes care of the timing totally independent of the timing of the PC."
"Asynchronous mode is not better by design but by implementation because you can implement a top quality (low jitter) clock in the DAC."

Also I feel it's the general opinion over on computeraudiophile.com
But I understand it depends on the implementation which is why I would like to try SBT async with a DI-V3 which has very little jitter according to Kingwa. Also there are reports that the clock in SBT is nothing to boast about.

Sorry if I didn't make myself clear and caused some confusion.

Sorry, I meant how do you know that firmware #3 is not async and #4 is async? That just strikes me as very unusual. 
smile.gif

Jan 22, 2013 at 6:23 AM Post #3,444 of 4,156
Sorry, I meant how do you know that firmware #3 is not async and #4 is async? That just strikes me as very unusual. :smile:

X2 I thought you needed different sort of clock for asynch and adaptive usb (fixed vs voltage controlled.). Although maybe I have extrapolated too much into wavelength's white paper.

Jan 22, 2013 at 6:30 AM Post #3,445 of 4,156
for example, DI-DSP works in adaptive mode if no drivers are installed and in async with them.

Jan 22, 2013 at 6:48 AM Post #3,446 of 4,156
for example, DI-DSP works in adaptive mode if no drivers are installed and in async with them.

I have definitely confused myself with wavelengths white paper in this case... DX"

Jan 22, 2013 at 8:16 AM Post #3,448 of 4,156
Quote:

Sorry, I meant how do you know that firmware #3 is not async and #4 is async? That just strikes me as very unusual. 
smile.gif

Again I'm just referring to the EDO compatibility list that was mentioned earlier in this thread. If you read the USB transfer mode column corresponding to "Dac's w. VIA 1731":

firmware #3 Adaptive
firmware #4 Asynchronous

Whether that's correct or not I don't know. I don't even know who made this list to begin with or if it's being maintained. I somehow assumed that Triode kept track of it.
Next to the USB transfer mode column there is the Notes column that states that:

(Chip supports up to 384KHz/32bit), with kernel #3 working in adaptive mode, with kernel #4 working in asynchronous mode

That's where I got the information. Been trying to locate Triode himself to confirm this but somhow I can't login to the Slimdevices forum in order to contact him.

Jan 23, 2013 at 2:56 AM Post #3,449 of 4,156
Hi! 

I recieved my Audio-gd DI V3 yesterday,I bought it as an upgrade to my DI DSP (V2) - which worked perfectly for me to. 

I recieved my V3 with the default firmware chip #4 installed - this did not work in XBMC, only in foobar. 

But then i tried to change it to firmware #5 - and now i works perfectly with XBMC (Frodo RC3 with Wassapi ). 

I will test it on my MPD server, and i will try to compare it to the V2  and the V1 (Dsp) Which one of my hifi friends has. 

Best regards, 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back