Votes: 120 26.6%
  • I'm Team Copper

Votes: 307 68.1%
  • I Chose Both

Votes: 24 5.3%

• Total voters
Jul 9, 2018 at 9:17 PM Post #2,386 of 7,693
Similar thoughts to mine :)

That said - the HD400i's often get thrown into the overnight bag with the XD-05 - the bass boost on the xDuoo is pretty nice and doesn't bleed into the other ranges :)

Jul 9, 2018 at 9:33 PM Post #2,387 of 7,693
It's true the LCD's have truly visceral bass in there own league even though being open-back headphones, but I don't think Mobius will be on there level. My first planars were the Hifiman HE-400I's, they didn't have the bass impact I was looking for though. So my next step up was Audeze's Sine's, thinking like you that that a closed-back planar would have great bass impact, the Sine's don't though, just a little more than the HE-400I's. Then a few months later I decided to just go for it and ordered the LCD-2's and iSINE20's.

Most headphones when I first get them I have buyers remorse in the first day or two using them, the LCD-2 was the first that didn't happen with, then again a month later when my iSINE20's finally arrived. Both open back and have the best bass I have ever heard, while the only closed-back planar I have experienced the Sine's have tiny bass impact in comparison. So, I have learned that the whole notion that closed-back headphones have better bass than open isn't always true.

But I wouldn't get your hopes up for LCD like bass, they are a lot more expensive headphones and utilize a double-sided magnetic design vs the Mobius single-sided, but then again I think the iSINE20's have on par bass with the LCD-2's and they are single-sided tiny drivers in comparison, however, they are just totally different crazy little things themselves that have to be experience to be believed. Guess we just have a little more waiting to see.

These have been reported to have a little more bass slam than LCD-2's, also with excellent extension and ultra low distortion. Why are you assuming such things?!!! The Sine has much smaller drivers.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2018 at 10:36 PM Post #2,389 of 7,693
Waiting on my Mobius! I just bought a AKG 7xx set and love the improvement over my old gaming headsets. I have BeatsX - really not bad! - to replace my destroyed Etymotics, but would like a set of open back. Until the Mobius arrive (I know, closed back) would you guys recommend iSine 20s? 10s?

Jul 9, 2018 at 10:50 PM Post #2,390 of 7,693
Waiting on my Mobius! I just bought a AKG 7xx set and love the improvement over my old gaming headsets. I have BeatsX - really not bad! - to replace my destroyed Etymotics, but would like a set of open back. Until the Mobius arrive (I know, closed back) would you guys recommend iSine 20s? 10s?

Absolutely. The iSine is something that has taken my breath away every single time I listen for over a year now. By far my favorite headphone purchase ever. It's honestly probably my favorite thing I've purchased overall in many years outside of maybe my new car.

Jul 9, 2018 at 10:59 PM Post #2,391 of 7,693
These have been reported to have a little more bass slam than LCD-2's, also with excellent extension and ultra low distortion. Why are you assuming such things?!!! The Sine has much smaller drivers.

All Audeze headphones are ultra low distortion, why are you throwing a marketing term at me? I was comparing the Sine's to the HE-400i which are similar size drivers, not the Mobius. Simply stating that the logic that closed-back always have better bass is not true. I never was in any way comparing the Sine and Mobius. I was simply saying that the expectation that these are going to be on the same performance level of LCD's that cost between $800 - $4,000 is a little out there and would not make any business sense for Audeze. I haven't seen anyone directly compare them with LCD-2's please refer me to the page, I would then like to know what amp they were using because the LCD-2's require a lot of power to reach there full potential, I worked my way up through several before I finally put down the cash for a Mjolnir 2 with 8w at 32ohm, 5w at 50ohm to power them. No regrets there, the step up to a fully balanced system with Mjolnir 2 and Gungnir Multibit for the DAC was quite awesome and really lets the LCD-2 shine. Do I think the Mobius's sound quality will outperform this $3,500 setup, no way.

Yes I do think we can expect more bass than the Sine for 1 specific reason: 100mm drivers

100mm driver BASS

What's that?

IT'S THAT GOD DAMN AUDEZE BASS AGAIN

I said not to expect LCD level bass, not Sine. I also said that I think the my iSINE20's with 30mm drivers are on par or slightly exceed my LCD-2's 106mm double-sided magnet driver bass, probably not the LCD-2C's though. What do you say to that?

Also, if you haven't noticed based on what I own, I'm a huge Audeze fan (with exception to there headbands), they have got somewhere around $3,500 out of me in the past year and a half. If i came off as being hostile towards them that was not my intention.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2018 at 11:17 PM Post #2,392 of 7,693
Seriously, many reviewers have already said this has a little more on the low end than the LCD series, but not overdone. I get why you might be skeptical....I wasn't criticizing you!!!!

.....Unless they've changed the sound signature, this is going to be some serious planar bass! For a description of the bass in relationship to LCD's, refer to MadLustEnvy's review and Jude's opening video review....both accessible from the first page. There are other factors besides Bass presence that contribute to different tiers of headphones. Right now @MacedonianHero has been dropping impressions from his upcoming review, and although he didn't go into frequency breakdowns, he is raving that he considers these things a steal for the price. (He's a high-end Audeze affectionate and a professional headphone reviewer.)

Don't sell your high-end desktop gear. Was never saying that this would replace anything....

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2018 at 11:24 PM Post #2,393 of 7,693
All Audeze headphones are ultra low distortion, why are you throwing a marketing term at me? I was comparing the Sine's to the HE-400i which are similar size drivers, not the Mobius. Simply stating that the logic that closed-back always have better bass is not true. I never was in any way comparing the Sine and Mobius. I was simply saying that the expectation that these are going to be on the same performance level of LCD's that cost between $800 - $4,000 is a little out there and would not make any business sense for Audeze. I haven't seen anyone directly compare them with LCD-2's please refer me to the page, I would then like to know what amp they were using because the LCD-2's require a lot of power to reach there full potential, I worked my way up through several before I finally put down the cash for a Mjolnir 2 with 8w at 32ohm, 5w at 50ohm to power them. No regrets there, the step up to a fully balanced system with Mjolnir 2 and Gungnir Multibit for the DAC was quite awesome and really lets the LCD-2 shine. Do I think the Mobius's sound quality will outperform this $3,500 setup, no way.

I said not to expect LCD level bass, not Sine. I also said that I think the my iSINE20's with 30mm drivers are on par or slightly exceed my LCD-2's 106mm double-sided magnet driver bass, probably not the LCD-2C's though. What do you say to that?

Also, if you haven't noticed based on what I own, I'm a huge Audeze fan (with exception to there headbands), they have got somewhere around $3,500 out of me in the past year and a half. If i came off as being hostile towards them that was not my intention.

Try heavily eq-ing that 400i to recover the sub-bass and you'll get distortion. Major bass drop-off there. That's why I brought it up. The Mobius is reported to hit hard with full extension. Apples and oranges.....

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2018 at 11:42 PM Post #2,394 of 7,693
they didn't have the bass impact I was looking for though. .

Low freq. extension in Planars are related to the seal you get and the acoustic chamber formed. The Sine being an on-ear headphone is quite different from over-ear sealed headphones.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Jul 9, 2018 at 11:42 PM Post #2,395 of 7,693
Yes I do think we can expect more bass than the Sine for 1 specific reason: 100mm drivers

100mm driver BASS

What's that?

IT'S THAT GOD DAMN AUDEZE BASS AGAIN

Anecdotally I found that the 70mm drivers in the Sine actually delivered more of a bass punch with Cipher than the 100mm drivers in the EL-8 — with the Cipher cable at least, with an amp the bass can be boosted cleanly on the EL-8 and it sounds a lot better amplified. I actually don’t find the EL-8 to EQ that well with the Cipher cable and all frequencies sound better with the 3.5mm. That could indicate an issue with the Cipher cable but there’s no issue with distortion or volume so I don’t think that it’s defective. Frankly the Sine has a better and more capable Cipher cable than the EL-8, as does the iSine series. There is merit to Cipher and I think Mobius will take full advantage of it and sound phenomenal just as the Sine and iSine do. I do expect Mobius to be better than all of those headphones. (iSine is a different form factor and has its place but you get the point.)

Jul 9, 2018 at 11:45 PM Post #2,396 of 7,693
Low freq. extension in Planars are related to the seal you get and the acoustic chamber formed. The Sine being an on-ear headphone is quite different from over-ear sealed headphones.

Do glasses affect the seal on Mobius?

I find planar headphones are particularly finicky when it comes to fitment to sound their best, but totally worth finding a perfect fit since they sound phenomenal once fitted properly.

Jul 9, 2018 at 11:50 PM Post #2,397 of 7,693
Do glasses affect the seal on Mobius?

I find planar headphones are particularly finicky when it comes to fitment to sound their best, but totally worth finding a perfect fit since they sound phenomenal once fitted properly.
Yes. This can even be shown easily in measurements on almost all headphones.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Jul 10, 2018 at 12:02 AM Post #2,398 of 7,693
Damn, might finally have to get contacts or LASIK! :wink:

Glasses definitely affect the sound/seal of most over-ear headphones, but at least in my experience planar drivers exhibit this to a slightly greater extent.

Jul 10, 2018 at 12:03 AM Post #2,399 of 7,693
Damn, might finally have to get contacts or LASIK! :wink:

Glasses definitely affect the sound/seal of most over-ear headphones, but at least in my experience planar drivers exhibit this to a slightly greater extent.

I got LASIK a few years ago, don't go to a cheap place, pay extra for the good places. Just trust me.

Jul 10, 2018 at 12:08 AM Post #2,400 of 7,693
Anecdotally I found that the 70mm drivers in the Sine actually delivered more of a bass punch with Cipher than the 100mm drivers in the EL-8 — with the Cipher cable at least, with an amp the bass can be boosted cleanly on the EL-8 and it sounds a lot better amplified. I actually don’t find the EL-8 to EQ that well with the Cipher cable and all frequencies sound better with the 3.5mm. That could indicate an issue with the Cipher cable but there’s no issue with distortion or volume so I don’t think that it’s defective. Frankly the Sine has a better and more capable Cipher cable than the EL-8, as does the iSine series. There is merit to Cipher and I think Mobius will take full advantage of it and sound phenomenal just as the Sine and iSine do. I do expect Mobius to be better than all of those headphones. (iSine is a different form factor and has its place but you get the point.)

Yeah makes sense. EL8 was the true Cipher V1 and, unlike drivers, mobile DAC platforms are currently seeing much larger performance improvements in similar timescales. Especially when DSP is utilized. Möbius 3D is a pretty pretty big jump in DSP/computation on the headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back